Truck reg question

NYSUPstater

I know this may sound awfully stupid, but chatting w/ a buddy of mine last night got me to look at my trucks registration. Being in NY, trucks are reg by weight-------sort of. In years past and such, I was always under the impression that trucks were reg for max amount of GVW based on driver's door label OR whatever you wanted it to be (usually this means not the max GVW to save you $$$$ in fees). In other words, just because a truck is capable of "X" GVW does not mean it has to be reg for it. So if it has a GVW of say 10,000, you can reg for 8,000. Great I'd say, no sense in giving NY any more $$ than necessary. Now the problem this may pose leads me to my real question. If you reg for 8K and truck is rated for 10K (and just say for kicks you get stopped and weighed by law enforcement) and you actually weigh 9800, can you be ticketed because you are overweight per reg but still legal on truck?

What happened is and I'll admit, I never paid attention even after 2 years of ownership, I never looked at my F350 DRW reg until this last night (thinking dealer took care of things upon purchasing) and saw I may be in a heap of do-do if I get stopped/weighed w/ 5er or heck just empty. Reg paper says it's reg for 8700---which I'm betting was weight on title from factory, yet it's GVW is 14,000. I've yet to actually weigh the current set up, but think the truck alone weighs more like 9500 empty. Not sure of exact cost because I cannot remember if/when I reg my old '15 F350 SRW and somehow the fees got transferred to the '17 at time we bought it. That being said tho, reg paper says $134 for 2 years. Woo-Hoo in my favor.............I think. So to CMA (cover me azz), should I change the reg weight to 14K and suck it up and pay more or what? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Dave_Jari

Good day,
Being from Missouri, I'm not familiar with New York laws, but in MO if my RV is 20k and truck is 8k (28k combined), to be legal I would have to get 30k plates for truck. Our plates are in 6k increments, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30k etc.

donr827

If a officer pulls you over for some other reason tell them that the dealer did the registration at time of purchase.