Spare tire

scayne62

I am going to add a second spare tire to the underbelly rack on my new Torque 371...does anyone know the brand or have the part number for the actual tire bracket? I emailed Heartland but have gotten no response.

esscobra

most of the ones that are frame mounted underneath are made by BAL - you can find online- and amazon and cw- sell them all - sever different models depending on frame set up - also look at sticker on yours may have model # - they also have a newer style more like modern trucks where it has cable to pull tire up - less stuff hanging down

danemayer

Here's a link to some Amazon choices. The BAL underslung assembly has been commonly used for several years. But a number of people have commented that you have to have more strength than most of us have in order to use it. The Lippert Winch is an alternative.

scayne62

Thank you for your replies, BAL is what I was looking for, I am going to buy a second bracket for the tire that bolts to that system, I spoke with someone already if it could handle the stress of a second tire and they ensured me it would. I have had 2 blow outs on one trip and will not be stuck with only 1 spare again.

danemayer

If you've had 2 blowouts on 1 trip, you might consider 1) whether to upgrade to tires that are rated for heavier loads, 2) keeping speed to 65 mph, which is the max speed most trailer tires are rated for, and 3) get a Tire Pressure and Temperature solution that will alert you to many problems before a complete failure.

Also, when a tire fails, the surviving tire on that side is carrying double weight which means if you don't pull over very quickly, or don't slow down to maybe 20-25 mph, the surviving tire will quickly suffer internal damage.

Flick

I am going to add a second spare tire to the underbelly rack on my new Torque 371...does anyone know the brand or have the part number for the actual tire bracket? I emailed Heartland but have gotten no response.

Let me see if I can explain myself without going into to much detail.
I know the reason that you want to carry 2 spares. Most of us, at least I have, also thought that the idea of 2 spares had merit. But when I looked under my coach and studied it further, I since then have rethought my attempt to cover all possibilities with a second spare.
On our last trip out, a 3000 miler, I went thru 2 new tires I had to buy. One had a nail to close to the sidewall and the other blew out. My first inclination was to purchase cheap tires, make it home and use them on one of my farm trailers. But after further consideration, I bought 2 of the best tires that Discount Tires sells and that was the Goodyear Endurance. Only 10 ply, but that was the best they had.
Well, we made it home and I have put a complete set of new Sailun S637’s on the ground and have used one of the new Goodyear tires as a spare. The other new Goodyear is now packaged and wrapped and will be carried along on our longer trips (without a rim). That’s one good thing about the toyhauler is that I take everything with me except an extra kitchen sink.
So, to wrap this up, if I ruin a tire while traveling in the future, I’ll first use the spare and have the other tire mounted and I won’t have to buy one till I get home. I’ll then get one that matches my ground tires and the Goodyear tires will once again be backups.