No hot water in my Mallard M185

DC72

Hello all, looking for tips on my no hot water issue. 19’ Mallard M185. Has it winterized by camping world last fall. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but feel ive looked at everything. How does the water get in the hot water tank? I fill my cold water & cold water comes out of both hot & cold faucets. I only turn the electric water heater on for a few minutes & same w/ propane b/c I’m nervous to possibly do damage IF there’s not water in hot water tank. Prob. Something simple but any help is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

danemayer

Hi DC72,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

When the trailer is winterized, the water heater is bypassed by turning several valves where the hot and cold water lines meet the water heater. Usually, there are 3 valves; one for cold, one for hot, and a crossover. The hot and cold will be closed, and the crossover is open. That lets cold water crossover from the cold line to the hot line without entering the water heater.

To de-winterize, the crossover valve gets closed and the hot and cold valves opened. Page 5 of our owner-written Winterization Guide illustrates this.

The only other thing you need to know, is how to access the valves. Location varies by model and floorplan. While I'm not familiar with yours, you might take a look in the kitchen by opening cabinets or drawers near the floor.

DC72

Hi DC72,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

When the trailer is winterized, the water heater is bypassed by turning several valves where the hot and cold water lines meet the water heater. Usually, there are 3 valves; one for cold, one for hot, and a crossover. The hot and cold will be closed, and the crossover is open. That lets cold water crossover from the cold line to the hot line without entering the water heater.

To de-winterize, the crossover valve gets closed and the hot and cold valves opened. Page 5 of our owner-written Winterization Guide illustrates this.

The only other thing you need to know, is how to access the valves. Location varies by model and floorplan. While I'm not familiar with yours, you might take a look in the kitchen by opening cabinets or drawers near the floor.
Thank you Danemayer, I’ve watched a ton of videos & that crossover valve seems to be key!
accc1d8e-96a9-4b01-9063-15eec1ed0420

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Danemayer, I’ve watched a ton of videos & that crossover valve seems to be key!
accc1d8e-96a9-4b01-9063-15eec1ed0420
I tried to attach a pic of my valves. Not sure if it got attached. I have a valve for hot, a valve for cold but don’t see a crossover. I have a valve in the floor that comes from the cold water tank. I also have a valve that’s actually for winterizing & has a hose that goes into the antifreeze jug. I haven’t turned that b/c I have Been thinking if I turn it it’ll squirt water all over. Now that I’m thinking about it, that may be the problem!

danemayer

If the valve to the antifreeze fill tube is open, when you try to pump water from the fresh tank, the pump will suck in air and you won't get any water to the fixtures.

I think we've seen some recent builds that have a variant of the 3 valve arrangement. I'm not familiar with that, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

Flick

Hello all, looking for tips on my no hot water issue. 19’ Mallard M185. Has it winterized by camping world last fall. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong but feel ive looked at everything. How does the water get in the hot water tank? I fill my cold water & cold water comes out of both hot & cold faucets. I only turn the electric water heater on for a few minutes & same w/ propane b/c I’m nervous to possibly do damage IF there’s not water in hot water tank. Prob. Something simple but any help is appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Maybe I’m confused. My wife says it’s happening more and more, but if you’ve got water coming from the hot water side of the faucets, you should be ok. Turn on the propane and at least let it gets hot that way. If you have hot water, turn on electric and your good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Maybe I’m confused. My wife says it’s happening more and more, but if you’ve got water coming from the hot water side of the faucets, you should be ok. Turn on the propane and at least let it gets hot that way. If you have hot water, turn on electric and your good to go.

While the water heater is bypassed, the tank is empty and you don't want to apply heat. To tell if there's water in the tank, with city water hooked up, or with the pump turned ON (and water in the fresh tank), open the pressure/temperature relief valve on the outside of the water heater. When water comes out the valve, you'll know the tank is full.

Flick

While the water heater is bypassed, the tank is empty and you don't want to apply heat. To tell if there's water in the tank, with city water hooked up, or with the pump turned ON (and water in the fresh tank), open the pressure/temperature relief valve on the outside of the water heater. When water comes out the valve, you'll know the tank is full.

Ok. I missed the part where the tank was bypassed. I reckon that’s part of the prep for winter? And I guess I didn’t read close enough that he couldn’t get water out of the pressure relief valve. All’s well. He’s getting good advice. Thanks for bringing me up to date.