Inverter Questions - Matrix Infinity Inverters - Running Dual Inverters

Squirlee

Good day folks. Been a while since I have been here. We spent a ton of time on the road last fall. Drove from southern Alberta up through British Columbia, the Yukon and NWT. We went as far as Tuk. Amazing time.

But to business. I purchased an Matrix Infinity 2200 watt inverter and I am wondering if there is a way to run both of my inverters now (I also have the 100 watt Magnum that came with the trailer)?

Second question is, has anyone used the Matrix brand of electronics?

I will have more questions because once I get all my electrical put together I will be doing some solar finally.

Thanks

danemayer

The factory inverter is dedicated to the refrigerator. To use the Matrix unit, you'll probably want to install a sub-panel coming off your 120V AC circuit breaker panel, and use the Matrix to supply power to the sub-panel. Move selected breakers from the main breaker panel to the sub-panel. You'll need a transfer switch that allows the sub-panel to receive power either from the inverter, or from the main breaker panel.

If you simply hook the Matrix to the main breaker panel without doing anything else, the factory inverter won't do anything because the refrigerator's transfer switch will sense 120V AC coming from the main breaker panel and won't use the 1000 watt inverter as a power source.

And you need to consider how much your existing batteries can run and how you'll recharge them. Depending on how you plan to use the trailer without shore power, you may want to pick from different recharging options.

Oregon_Camper

You can leave the existing inverter for the frig. I installed a small 1000w inverter to power a new 110v outlet I put in rear of RV so we could operate the power chairs. We dry camp about 80% of the time, so we had to find a way to get power to chairs.

Here is my current power layout. As you can see, it is built for dry camping. Let me know if you need advise.

3160EL Power Distribution - Final .jpg

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 9

Squirlee

Thanks!!! What I may do is run a sub panel for the fridge alone and the factory inverter. Then I can use the Matrix to run other plugs for me.

I am working toward a battery bank of lithiums - but I am also realistic in that they are still very cost prohibitive. Work in progress.

EDIT - and how do you like your Go Power inverter/converter?

The factory inverter is dedicated to the refrigerator. To use the Matrix unit, you'll probably want to install a sub-panel coming off your 120V AC circuit breaker panel, and use the Matrix to supply power to the sub-panel. Move selected breakers from the main breaker panel to the sub-panel. You'll need a transfer switch that allows the sub-panel to receive power either from the inverter, or from the main breaker panel.

If you simply hook the Matrix to the main breaker panel without doing anything else, the factory inverter won't do anything because the refrigerator's transfer switch will sense 120V AC coming from the main breaker panel and won't use the 1000 watt inverter as a power source.

And you need to consider how much your existing batteries can run and how you'll recharge them. Depending on how you plan to use the trailer without shore power, you may want to pick from different recharging options.

- - - Updated - - -

I will definitely be picking your brain.

Do you have transfer switches on each line or one transfer switch for the entire amount of power being supplied to the breaker box?

You can leave the existing inverter for the frig. I installed a small 1000w inverter to power a new 110v outlet I put in rear of RV so we could operate the power chairs. We dry camp about 80% of the time, so we had to find a way to get power to chairs.

Here is my current power layout. As you can see, it is built for dry camping. Let me know if you need advise.

View attachment 64042

Oregon_Camper

EDIT - and how do you like your Go Power inverter/converter?

We love the GoPower IC2000. I'd do IC3000 now, but it was not available when we did the install. Works great with our 6 BB Lithium batteries. I have it peak at 80 amps to batteries.

Do you have transfer switches on each line or one transfer switch for the entire amount of power being supplied to the breaker box?

Other than the TS in the IC2000, I did not install separate TS. I do not have an on-board generators, so there is no need for 3rd TS. I also decided against any sub-panels. As you can see, I power direct to main panel via IC2000. If you're intereted, here is a link to my IC2000 install on YouTube. https://youtu.be/jjevQ10M97Y

Squirlee

I have watched your video a few times. I may reconsider my Matrix.

Until I have further questions :)

Thank you

We love the GoPower IC2000. I'd do IC3000 now, but it was not available when we did the install. Works great with our 6 BB Lithium batteries. I have it peak at 80 amps to batteries.

Other than the TS in the IC2000, I did not install separate TS. I do not have an on-board generators, so there is no need for 3rd TS. I also decided against any sub-panels. As you can see, I power direct to main panel via IC2000. If you're intereted, here is a link to my IC2000 install on YouTube. https://youtu.be/jjevQ10M97Y[/QUOTE]