Putting on the Spare

Two Hands

On my last big trip I relied on the "kindness" of others, AAA Roadside Assistance, to change a tire on my Bighorn 3055RL. But, what if I had been out of cell phone range? Oh the pain of changing it myself! Nevertheless I think I should prepare. What kind and size jack will I need?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I carry a 6 ton bottle jack and several 2 X 10 boards to prevent it from sinking into dirt if necessary. I also have some aluminum stabilizer jacks if the stroke on the bottle jack isn't enough to raise the tire for clearance. Remember to loosen the lugs a bit before lifting and torque them after removing the jack. It's only a rough job if the flat tire is on the road side of the rig.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have 2 - 6 ton jacks. I use a 2x8 board to go under them to keep them from sinking on soft ground. I place the jack so it is between the U-Bolts for the springs. I have used the second jack to raise another tire so I can rotate the tires. I had two aluminum stands to hold up an axle but they bent even though they were suppose to support 6k lbs. That is why I bought the second 6 ton jack.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,
Sounds like you've changed a few tires yourself. Did you jack at the frame, axle or shackle?
I've always been able to put the jack right along side the axle on the spring perch. I do this for adjusting the brakes as well. Thankfully, I've only had to change the tire once on the Bighorn. But, there have been others:).

Two Hands

Forrest, If that ramp works the way it is shown in the picture then why would I need a jack? It would appear to be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper just to use the ramp.

jimtoo

There are lots of pros and cons about the ramp. You are overloading the good tire by putting the entire weight of the side of the trailer on the one tire. Is this enough to hurt the tire???? Who knows, but it could damage the cords in the good tire enough to cause a problem later. I don't think any of the tire manufactures will recommend the ramp.

Also,, you should never jack on the axle tube itself. If the axle is under the spring, you should jack on the frame, if axle is on top of spring you can jack on spring. If you jack on axle and cause a dent or collapse the spring in any way, you could change the camber of the tire which could cause excessive tire wear, or even cause axle to become loose in u-bolts.

Just my 3 cents worth.

Jim M

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jimtoo is absolutely correct. However if using the ramp I don't think the tire cord is going to be the problem. Say for example you have 6000# axles and they are carrying 5800#'s each, then each side of the axle has 2900#'s which is ok. But if you put all the weight on one side of one axle it is overloaded by 2800#'s. Looks like a bent axle might occure. Lipperts Trailer Axle Opperation and Service Manual states several times "lift unit by the frame and never the axle or suspension".
Peace
Dave

Forrest Fetherolf

Forrest, If that ramp works the way it is shown in the picture then why would I need a jack? It would appear to be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper just to use the ramp.

The ramp does not work as the picture indicates, but does raise RV enough to get jack and lynx block(s) under axle of blown tire.

Forrest

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have a Mor-ryde IS you have to use a bottle jack on the frame as the ramp will not work. A bottle jack is the best bet in my opinion.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
If I have a flat I call Good Sam's Roadside service and let them worry about it. Best $$$ I've ever spent.

fulltimer

Did any of you receive a tool to release the spare tire from under the unit? I never received or if I did I have lost. I would assume this tool would look like a socket on a long entension to reach in and release the spare tire. I have a 2006 Landmark.

creeper

I think it should be in the storage compartment. One for the spare tire/rear jacks and one for the front landing gear. that's where mine is.

jmgratz

Did any of you receive a tool to release the spare tire from under the unit? I never received or if I did I have lost. I would assume this tool would look like a socket on a long entension to reach in and release the spare tire. I have a 2006 Landmark.

They are supposed to give you one. I didn't get one either but when I told the dealer about it they supplied one.

ct0218

I didn't get a crank handle either with my Landmark. With the electric rear jacks it was not noticed as missing--until I had a flat tire. I haven't remounted the spare yet, so a handle sure would come in handy.

jmgratz

Same thing happened to me. I had a flat and couldn't get the tire down. The wrecker driver that changed the tire had to climb under the RV and loosen the underbelly and then use a wrench on it. The tire tool handle can be obtained from the dealer and should have been supplied with the RV. It the dealer does not have it I am sure Heartland customer service can help you. That is one thing the dealer should be sure is in the RV when it is delivered by the tranporter.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I didn't get a crank handle either with my Landmark. With the electric rear jacks it was not noticed as missing--until I had a flat tire. I haven't remounted the spare yet, so a handle sure would come in handy.
Clark, not sure how your Landmark is set up as far as raising and lowering your spare tire,but I use my 4 way lug wrench. There is a door on the outside of the camper labeled spare tire. Inside there is a bolt head,not sure of the size,but one end of the 4 way fits it. Our Landmark did not come with a crank handle for the spare tire but we did get one to raise and lower the electric rear jacks if needed.

ct0218

Hi Terry
I tried my 4 way but it didn't fit. When I needed to get my spare down I crawled under and after a lot of effort managed to disassemble the retention system for the spare. I got with a friend down the mountain this afternoon and we welded together a crank handle that works. I doubt it is as pretty as the factory crank, but it works!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Hi Terry
I tried my 4 way but it didn't fit. When I needed to get my spare down I crawled under and after a lot of effort managed to disassemble the retention system for the spare. I got with a friend down the mountain this afternoon and we welded together a crank handle that works. I doubt it is as pretty as the factory crank, but it works!
Hey, as long as it works,it doesn't matter what it looks like. Hopefully you never have to look at it anyway. I can imagine you had quite a time getting your tire down without being able to crank it down. How are things up the mountain?We were up your way a few weeks ago. Took the family to Gatlinburg for a little R&R.It was very cold but had a great time.Have a good week.