Two Grey Tank dumps; only one Grey Tank Fills - 2020 Torque T285

Bozzynet

Team/Friends/Veterans,

I'm a new heartland owner with a 2020 Heartland Torque T285 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer. The under belly of my trailer appears to have two grey tank dump valves. One of them is connected to the Black Tank dump, and the other (forward of the Black and grey valve toward the trailer tongue) is on its own. I'm Struggling to figure out what that tank is for?? I tested the Kitchen sink fill, bathroom sink fill, shower and nothing fills that tank directly. It appears to be the "Aux" tank when you check the levels, because I only was able to drain a small amount of liquid from it and it always reads empty. When I drained grey... I managed to have filled the Grey tank all the way to full using the shower and kitchen sink for testing.

The only thing I can think is that Heartland has rigged the tanks to overflow to the AUX tank when the grey tank is full... haven't tested the theory yet because that could be a mess if i'm wrong.

Can anyone help??? Looks like I have two grey tanks, do the new heartland torques have overflow to "aux" grey when the main grey fills? I've requested install specs for my trailer model and SN but heard nothing back from Heartland.

*cheers* everything appears to work great on my new model, couple little things but nothing compared to some horror stories from other makes.

Mark the "viking"

danemayer

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on the new Torque and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully another T285 owner will be able to shed some light on your question.

Bozzynet

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on the new Torque and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Hopefully another T285 owner will be able to shed some light on your question.

Agreed, I really hope so! And thank you for the warm welcome. With some time i'll figure it out... just taking risks but i'll certainly post if I find an answer.

Thanks!

MB

Hollandt

Team/Friends/Veterans,

I'm a new heartland owner with a 2020 Heartland Torque T285 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer. The under belly of my trailer appears to have two grey tank dump valves. One of them is connected to the Black Tank dump, and the other (forward of the Black and grey valve toward the trailer tongue) is on its own. I'm Struggling to figure out what that tank is for?? I tested the Kitchen sink fill, bathroom sink fill, shower and nothing fills that tank directly. It appears to be the "Aux" tank when you check the levels, because I only was able to drain a small amount of liquid from it and it always reads empty. When I drained grey... I managed to have filled the Grey tank all the way to full using the shower and kitchen sink for testing.

The only thing I can think is that Heartland has rigged the tanks to overflow to the AUX tank when the grey tank is full... haven't tested the theory yet because that could be a mess if i'm wrong.

Can anyone help??? Looks like I have two grey tanks, do the new heartland torques have overflow to "aux" grey when the main grey fills? I've requested install specs for my trailer model and SN but heard nothing back from Heartland.

*cheers* everything appears to work great on my new model, couple little things but nothing compared to some horror stories from other makes.

Mark the "viking"

Mark,

Your Torque 285 appears to be the same as my Fuel 305. On my unit the front dump connection is for the grey tank for the bathroom sink and the shower. The rear grey connection that is Teed into the black dump connection is for the Kitchen sink. I do not remember which one is which on the tank gauges but one is labeled Gray and the other Aux on my unit. The two gray tanks are not connected together on my unit.

Hope this helps,
Tim

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the bathroom and kitchen are feeding the same tank and there is no overflow connection to that Aux tank, you may have a problem. Sounds like someone messed up the plumbing. I would suggest you drop part of the underbelly coroplast and inspect how it’s laid out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hollandt

If the bathroom and kitchen are feeding the same tank and there is no overflow connection to that Aux tank, you may have a problem. Sounds like someone messed up the plumbing. I would suggest you drop part of the underbelly coroplast and inspect how it’s laid out.

John,

Please reread my post. I said the kitchen feeds one 30 gal gray tank and the sink and shower in the bath feed the other 30 gal gray tank. I don't think there is an over flow connection but i am not sure, as when one shows full i usually empty it.

Thanks,
Tim

JohnDar

John,

Please reread my post. I said the kitchen feeds one 30 gal gray tank and the sink and shower in the bath feed the other 30 gal gray tank. I don't think there is an over flow connection but i am not sure, as when one shows full i usually empty it.

Thanks,
Tim

I was referring to the OP who said everything seems to feed to only one gray tank on his rig. The only “combo” tanks I’ve read about had a half bath in the garage that served both the washbasin and toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LBR

Last edited:
I recently bought a 2020 Mallard M260 that says it has 80 gallons of Gray water capacity. I noticed the same thing, one is for the Galley\Kitchen, and then the other is for the bathroom sink and shower. They do appear to be separate, but I'm trying to find out if they are 40 gallons each, or a 60\20, or 50\30 or something else?? I do know they are completely separate, which is kind of a pain to dump, I wish they would have put the valves in the same area as the gray\black tank valves for the bathroom stuff. Anyway, it looks like it's a thing with the new RVs, any help would be great.

Dazzleman

Bozzynet

ALRIGHT!!! I found the answer (finally called heartland customer support and they looked it up; super good experience)... The 2020 Heartland Torque T285 has 2 separate 30 gallon grey tanks... the REAR tank is plumbed to the Shower and the Kitchen sink, while the front tank is plumbed only to the bathroom lavatory!!

How annoying to have kitchen sink and shower plumbed to one tank, and only a bathroom lavatory plumbed to a full separate 30 gallon tank.

I can't add pics or I would submit the diagram and my recommended fix for this.

Since there is NO WAY i'm going to pump 30 gallons of grey through my bathroom lavatory, I'm going to bridge the two grey tanks at the dump valve permanently. This will create essentially a single 60 gallon grey that auto levels between the two. I bought my RV and Manteca Trailer and Motorhome in California. Currently waiting for the quote back... I'll let you know. It looks simple enough, there should only be a couple "T" fittings and a 4 foot piece that needs to be added.

Disappointed about the design, but super stoked about the easy fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Mark,

Your Torque 285 appears to be the same as my Fuel 305. On my unit the front dump connection is for the grey tank for the bathroom sink and the shower. The rear grey connection that is Teed into the black dump connection is for the Kitchen sink. I do not remember which one is which on the tank gauges but one is labeled Gray and the other Aux on my unit. The two gray tanks are not connected together on my unit.

Hope this helps,
Tim

Must've been some slight design difference between the 305 and the T285... i was looking at both before purchasing. It would make sense if the plumbing was like you mentioned, but they didn't do it like that... so frustrating. I wonder if you could do the same fix I mentioned in my reply by bridging the two grey tanks easily?

- - - Updated - - -

I recently bought a 2020 Mallard M260 that says it has 80 gallons of Gray water capacity. I noticed the same thing, one is for the Galley\Kitchen, and then the other is for the bathroom sink and shower. They do appear to be separate, but I'm trying to find out if they are 40 gallons each, or a 60\20, or 50\30 or something else?? I do know they are completely separate, which is kind of a pain to dump, I wish they would have put the valves in the same area as the gray\black tank valves for the bathroom stuff. Anyway, it looks like it's a thing with the new RVs, any help would be great.

Dazzleman

Definitely a thing!! Not sure, but does't really make sense to not design them as a single capacity, even if they have to do an overflow or bridged design.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears i just never ran enough water through only my bathroom lavatory to impact the tank level; figured the shower would run to the same tank. Now, I discover only the Lavatory is on a single 30 gallon tank. I recommended a fix in my post... will see what others say.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
In order for your two gray tanks to self level they will have to be level with each other.
Have you checked on that?

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Not likely this design will be an episode on “Engineering Marvels.”

Hollandt

ALRIGHT!!! I found the answer (finally called heartland customer support and they looked it up; super good experience)... The 2020 Heartland Torque T285 has 2 separate 30 gallon grey tanks... the REAR tank is plumbed to the Shower and the Kitchen sink, while the front tank is plumbed only to the bathroom lavatory!!

How annoying to have kitchen sink and shower plumbed to one tank, and only a bathroom lavatory plumbed to a full separate 30 gallon tank.

I can't add pics or I would submit the diagram and my recommended fix for this.

Since there is NO WAY i'm going to pump 30 gallons of grey through my bathroom lavatory, I'm going to bridge the two grey tanks at the dump valve permanently. This will create essentially a single 60 gallon grey that auto levels between the two. I bought my RV and Manteca Trailer and Motorhome in California. Currently waiting for the quote back... I'll let you know. It looks simple enough, there should only be a couple "T" fittings and a 4 foot piece that needs to be added.

Disappointed about the design, but super stoked about the easy fix.

- - - Updated - - -

Must've been some slight design difference between the 305 and the T285... i was looking at both before purchasing. It would make sense if the plumbing was like you mentioned, but they didn't do it like that... so frustrating. I wonder if you could do the same fix I mentioned in my reply by bridging the two grey tanks easily?

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely a thing!! Not sure, but does't really make sense to not design them as a single capacity, even if they have to do an overflow or bridged design.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears i just never ran enough water through only my bathroom lavatory to impact the tank level; figured the shower would run to the same tank. Now, I discover only the Lavatory is on a single 30 gallon tank. I recommended a fix in my post... will see what others say.

I certainly cannot say this is not the way yours is plumbed, but it makes no logical sense for them to pipe around the front gray tank with the shower to the rear tank. This also puts the two high use items in the same tank?? You can look under the shower and see which direction the drain goes. I hope the information you received was correct??

I was preparing my unit for a dry camping event and had to empty my holding tanks. So to verify where the gray goes I ran the bathroom sink and shower after both gray tanks were empty. Both the bath sink and the shower went to the front gray tank and the kitchen sink went to the rear gray tank. Good luck with your modification.

Tim

Hey Mark. I just bought a 2020 T285 and we have ran into the same problems. Our shower will start backing up after about 4 showers. Not sure why they designed it this way, but its a poor design choice. Nobody is ever going to run 30 gallons of water through their bathroom sink. I am going to start researching and ask the dealership if they have a way to link the two systems up to prevent the backup we are having. Have you been able to find any work around for this? There has got to be a way to make one overflow into the next.

Bryce.

Team/Friends/Veterans,

Mark the "viking"

danemayer

30 gallon gray tank. Water pump is typically rated to deliver 3 gallons per minutes. That's a total of 10 minutes of shower time. Divide by number of days. Divide again by number of people showering. That's how long each person can shower.

Help!! with black water tank

I have a 2020 Mallard M25, The shower and the sink drain in the middle flush valve; the kitchen sink flushes out of the rear valve, but nothing is flushing when I flush the toilet, it is not coming out of any of the two valves I have left them both open for trail and error, we have never used the toilet for sewage and my tank is still reading 2/3 full. any help would be appreciated, because I cannot figure out what is wrong.
Thanks

Justin

Bozzynet

I certainly cannot say this is not the way yours is plumbed, but it makes no logical sense for them to pipe around the front gray tank with the shower to the rear tank. This also puts the two high use items in the same tank?? You can look under the shower and see which direction the drain goes. I hope the information you received was correct??

I was preparing my unit for a dry camping event and had to empty my holding tanks. So to verify where the gray goes I ran the bathroom sink and shower after both gray tanks were empty. Both the bath sink and the shower went to the front gray tank and the kitchen sink went to the rear gray tank. Good luck with your modification.

Tim

So far, the mod has worked. Bridging the two gray tanks was best decision ever. The AUX button and Gray Button both level out to meet each other. I've been on multiple dry camping trips and no issues with them even when the trailer is not fully level on the driver side to passenger side angle... Good luck with other options... this one i'm sticking with.

Plumbing at the factory doesn't make sense... but the quality is good so far and I don't mind helping the engineers out who've probably never camped in their own campers for an extended period of time. Dry camping is what these are built for... I would like to add more accurate sensors to my tanks though... they are so inaccurate and wonky with the stock version... I would much rather know a percentage by 10% increments or less so I can plan my stays

- - - Updated - - -

I have a 2020 Mallard M25, The shower and the sink drain in the middle flush valve; the kitchen sink flushes out of the rear valve, but nothing is flushing when I flush the toilet, it is not coming out of any of the two valves I have left them both open for trail and error, we have never used the toilet for sewage and my tank is still reading 2/3 full. any help would be appreciated, because I cannot figure out what is wrong.
Thanks

Justin

Did you ensure the tank valves are the large ones when dumping the black? I have two gray dumps and 1 black dump handle. Nothing surprises me when it comes to the plumbing anymore, maybe a better description of what is happening would help. It's quite possible that your black tank flush might be clogged. I can't say with certainty, but in my keystone Springdale that I had before, I had the circular cutouts that fell through into the tank at manufacturing drain out the hoses on my first few flushes with just clean water. If you got warranty, my first thing would be to bring it back to the dealer.

Bozzynet

30 gallon gray tank. Water pump is typically rated to deliver 3 gallons per minutes. That's a total of 10 minutes of shower time. Divide by number of days. Divide again by number of people showering. That's how long each person can shower.

Appreciate this to the fullest! I'm a simple guy... Sometimes that means tons of learning on the job... in this case it was all by experience. Anyways... just spent 11 days in Dunes and the total 60 gallons was amazing to have. We only had 2 showers each for me and the wife, and one of my sons showered only once. Biggest useage is dish washing and hand washing for the trip. Before, but most likely after readers say "EW!" I am a military veteran and now civilian deployer. We have baby wipes and combat showering in place. Turn water on and wet, turn off. Soap. Turn water on and rinse. Baby wipe the hotspots and change underwear and socks. I got a refresh of 50 gallons of fresh water about 2/3 into the trip and drained some gray water out into sand to free up space and we made it on a single black tank by only using it for midnight runs and early morning relief. My two boys know how to take care of drainage problems by stepping out the door.
More info that required or requested, but I figure why not... you gotta use these things a lot because they certainly aren't appreciating in value. Get your good times in while you got it. Again... stock tank sensors are lame... still wanna upgrade.

*First day my youngest needed to pass the two... he didn't quite get the concept of water conservation and black tank useage. Stomped that flusher and who knows how long... we helped him, but by his reaction could tell he was trying hard. I give him some credit, but we had to have lost some valuable water and black tank storage to this. lesson learned :) training course helped and we'll do better next time.

- - - Updated - - -

Not likely this design will be an episode on “Engineering Marvels.”

HAHAHA! I only wish it could get the publicity.

- - - Updated - - -

In order for your two gray tanks to self level they will have to be level with each other.
Have you checked on that?

Peace
Dave

Both tanks are mounted flush with frame, so leveling whole trailer from front to back will do it. Confirmed, tested and proved by some very close monitoring of tanks on aux and gray together. funny thing, you can actually hear bubbling as the two tanks level when pushing a good amount of water through the system. tried this during full hookups. no damage or harm, just gravity doing its part.

- - - Updated - - -

Chances are they are both 40 gals each

You think? Curious why... specs are a big deal and usually you find them overestimating on advertisement.

Last edited:

bigtphx

I was referring to the OP who said everything seems to feed to only one gray tank on his rig. The only “combo” tanks I’ve read about had a half bath in the garage that served both the washbasin and toilet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
bath and a half 5th wheel units have 2 gre and 2 black tanks frt black and grey handle frt bathroom and shower, rear handles kitchen and rear bathroom