Sundance Suspension and Kingpin

rutranger

Hi Everyone,

Here is my question/delima. I purchased a new to me truck (F450) to tow my Sundance 285TS XLT. I've realized that my new truck is substantially taller than my old 2003 F250 gasser. I also realize I need to adjust my Kingpin and possibly my suspension, but I don't want to cut the distance from the bottom of my trailer and the bed of my truck. I thought about altering the suspension enough by raising it so it will be able to get leveled out when towing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I've also been told a new trailer is not an option. LOL

Flick

Hi Everyone,

Here is my question/delima. I purchased a new to me truck (F450) to tow my Sundance 285TS XLT. I've realized that my new truck is substantially taller than my old 2003 F250 gasser. I also realize I need to adjust my Kingpin and possibly my suspension, but I don't want to cut the distance from the bottom of my trailer and the bed of my truck. I thought about altering the suspension enough by raising it so it will be able to get leveled out when towing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I've also been told a new trailer is not an option. LOL

I believe that raising a rig’s suspension to make up for a truck that doesn’t fit the bill is not the way to go. Others may disagree. We’ll see.
The best way to proceed is to do everything possible to alter the truck and trailer hookup while still allowing safe bed clearances. This will include looking at different 5th wheel hitches, etc. If not possible, then a decision has to be made.

rhodies1

Agree with not altering the rigs suspension, you can throw the centre of gravity off on the trailer making t very unstable...look at the tow unit or hitch in the tow vehicle, also you can adjust the hatch on the trailer,
Do not raise the suspension on the trailer by flipping springs or putting in shims. Take care.

- - - Updated - - -

rutranger

Thank you both for your advice. They are truly appreciated. For now I've ordered an adapter for attaching my hitch to the truck which will lift the front of the trailer up, but when towing it may not be level which I am a little concerned about. I will have anything corrected to fix the problem.

Thanks again...

Bogie

I had a similar situation with my 2018 289TS. Bought a new RAM 2500 diesel and was concerned because the height of my new truck was several inches higher than the previous truck. After a lot of searching I settled on the Anderson Ultimate. ( I know, not everyone is a fan). My new truck had a factory mounted receiver for a gooseneck ball and mounts for a universal hitch as well. After a lot of research ( including drawing a scale drawing of the truck and hitch) I concluded the Anderson 3221 (which is a lowered version of the standard and is made for flat bed trucks with gooseneck trailers) would work. I have about 4.5 inches clearance ( I would have liked a little more) but that seems to be enough. I have pulled over 10K miles with no problems. I do think the trailer might have rubbed just slightly once. But no damage.

The other thing about the Anderson is the ball can be raised easily one or two or inches higher. I run on the middle position and my trailer is only slightly nose high. So you might at least give it a look if you are at all interested. You can also call Anderson. They were very helpful to me.

A couple more things....I have found the Anderson to be much easier to hitch and unhitch than my old Superglide. With the old hitch there were a few times (when the campsite was not completely level) where I had trouble getting the truck on or off. This is never a problem with the Anderson. Also, to make it work for gooseneck mount of my truck the extension tube on the Anderson had to be cut slightly shorter. They did this at the factory before they sent it. Finally, I noticed you are in California as I am. The California Highway considers this hitch to be a ball hitch so safety chains are required. I used a Curt Ball and Safety chain set to put it all together. Not really much of a problem but good to know.

rutranger

That's some really great information Joe especially since I'm utilizing the Andersen 3200 5th wheel rail hitch. I also love my hitch because of the ease of use and the lack of the slap you can get when breaking or accelerating. I've ordered a Demco 6175 base plate kit that utilizes my puck system so I don't have to drill any holes in my bed and gives me the option to clear my truck bed if needed. I was just worried because my trailer is so light and I had to raise my trailer so high just to back under it. With my truck being an F450 I felt like it's not probably going to drop very much once loaded and that's why I figure I'd reach out to the group and see what info I could pick up. Thanks again for your input. I'm feeling a little better about the fit as well as to much pressure on the wheel bearings if it's at to much of an angle.

jnbhobe

How about putting smaller blocks on the rear of the truck, it probably doesn't sit level now.

rutranger

Thanks everyone. After getting the adapter to connect our Andersen hitch to the truck I found that the truck and trailer aren't to to far off. Took it for a test run and it ran really nice. Thanks again for each of your inputs.