How do you lean a ladder against the roof?

We just picked up a 2015 North Trail 22RBK travel trailer a few weeks ago. It does not have a factory-installed ladder.

The previous owner had cleaned about half of the roof, but 1/2 surely needs a cleaning. Plus, we want to be able to inspect our roof and check seams or any places that need Dicor.

What ladder is everyone using to get on the roof? We have looked at the telescoping ladders and can get one that would be high enough. But it seems we would have to lean it against the edge of the roof.

Is that the best plan? How do you protect the edge of the roof from damage?

This is the first trailer we’ve had with a rubber roof and we just don’t want to damage it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahillbilly

I use an extension ladder & place two sections of the split foam pipe insulation on the ladder where it rest against the roof line. Best thing I came up with, if anyone has a better option I'm all ears.

Thanks Dahillbilly. That’s what we kinda figured. The rubber roof has us a little worried. We’re coming from truck campers and metal roofs (which have their own challenges).

I wonder if anyone has ever created a leak leaning the extension ladder that way?

LBR

I think most everyone will do trimmed pool noodles for the rails, or at least tie on a blanket, old pillow, rug.... just something where the ladder contacts the roof's eased edges..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Although I still use the mounted ladder on my rig, you could lean your extension ladder against it, spanning it with the beams of the extension ladder. Then use a couple of clove hitches to tie them together. That gives you a better handhold to get onto the roof and your ladder stays put.

wdk450

I have an old memory foam pillow (without slipcover) that I keep in the storage area along with my multi-ladder (3 height stepladder, 6 height extension ladder) and have 2 loops of mechanics wire around it that fits around the top ladder legs. I mainly use this rig for cleaning/polishing the front cap "bubble". To get on the roof, I use the extension ladder to access the roof of the slides, since my ladder doesn't reach the roof. I am a 300+ pounder and have had no problems with the slide roofs or main roof from getting up there. The ladder I use is similar to this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Gia...-Telescoping-Multi-Position-Ladder/1000643965

Thanks everyone! We’ll get a pool noodle, memory foam or some blankets/towels and use the extension ladder we have. We’ll pick up a telescopic ladder for when we travel too. Thanks for the tips.

Linda & Bill / 2015 North Trail 22RBK / 2004 Ford F-350

sengli

I have on e of those expandable ladders, and I tried to use the noodle method once and it left marks and indentations on the roof line. So I now lean it up against the top portion of the OEM ladder in the back so it never touches the sides of the coach now. So far so good.

We don’t have a factory installed ladder.

From what I’ve read in other strings as I’ve been trying to figure this out, the ladder would be mounted on the left if you’re standing behind the trailer. That’s where our shower is, and the skylight is where the ladder would be mounted on the roof.

We’re leaning toward a pillow/padding on the ladder and a pool noodle on the roof edge. We have a regular extension ladder that is large enough. We’ll only get the telescopic for when we travel and the extension ladder is too cumbersome.

sengli

Are you sure the north trail line of RV's has a roof system rated to be walked on? I know the fifth wheels I own are, but some lesser weight units arent made for that much weight on the roof...due to thinner lighter materials.

Flick

We don’t have a factory installed ladder.

From what I’ve read in other strings as I’ve been trying to figure this out, the ladder would be mounted on the left if you’re standing behind the trailer. That’s where our shower is, and the skylight is where the ladder would be mounted on the roof.

We’re leaning toward a pillow/padding on the ladder and a pool noodle on the roof edge. We have a regular extension ladder that is large enough. We’ll only get the telescopic for when we travel and the extension ladder is too cumbersome.

When we travel in the winter, we carry a 9’ aluminum ladder that stores perfectly in a defined area that would help us wash snow off the slides should the need arise. We normally don’t carry it in the summer but I reckon it wouldn’t be a bad idea for a couple of reasons. First is, that we could bungie it up against the fixed ladder to give us a better angle to get on or off the roof. Second reason would be that it would give me and DW a better chance to get out of that small escape window. WOW! I hope nobody videos that event!!!

h2oskierc

Are you sure the north trail line of RV's has a roof system rated to be walked on? I know the fifth wheels I own are, but some lesser weight units arent made for that much weight on the roof...due to thinner lighter materials.

5b8352dd2e021e6ed35128086efae2b5.jpg

I’m gonna do some digging now, as I want to know. Their website doesn’t help much, does it? That’s my only complaint so far about Heartland. Documentation and brochures/website are less than stellar. Probably true of all brands.

442cfc2ac321ef3d56cf06b416fa367e.jpg

I can’t say for certain, but I was assuming it was walkable due to this (both from the 2015 NT brochure).
7af3abb33f0efab5d504a02e77dd1d0e.jpg

pegmikef

<p>
I walked on our North Trail roof, but it was a 2012. Don't know if they are made the same now. </p>

Last edited by a moderator:

GK2018

We also have one of those collapsible ladders from Amazon and I use pool noodles on ours too, we've never had any issues but then again I try to get up there as little as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wdk450

<p>
We also have one of those collapsible ladders from Amazon and I use pool noodles on ours too, we've never had any issues but then again I try to get up there as little as possible. Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
According to the Heartland warranty statement you are supposed to inspect your caulking (including the roof caulkings) every 90 days.</p>
<p>
Therefore, the roof MUST be able to support your weight to do the REQUIRED WARRANTY inspections.</p>

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! We tried the pool noodle and realized it was a great solution. Happy camping!