Winegard Trav’ler

Ldbarchee

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3160 El and currently we are using a playmaker dual for dish network. When I try to connect it to the coax connection in the side box, it is flaky at best. Usually have to go through the connection process many times before it will find all of the satellites and sync up if it ever does. More times than not I have to run a coax in a window and plug it straight to the receiver which is not the way it should be. The camper is pre wired for a trav’ler and I am considering going that route. Has anyone else done this? If so what were the results? I don’t mind spending the money on it if it works but would be pretty upset spending close to 2k on something that has the same issues.

mlpeloquin

You may need to check out your coax connections. The splitter(s) may be suspect, but more often that not the RF cable connectors have been assembled with reckless abandoned. Remove each RF connector and look at them. Make sure that the ground shield is not close to the center conductor and the the RF connectors are tight. You may have to chase down the splitters, and the back side of your UDC to check each connection(s). Some, not many may be three that I have seen on the forum, have had the splitters wired backwards. The connections in the wall plates will have to be checked as well. You may find it is is just one or two loose connectors, but what a pain. Not a hard job, just can be a couple of hours of time.

Flick

I have a 2018 Bighorn 3160 El and currently we are using a playmaker dual for dish network. When I try to connect it to the coax connection in the side box, it is flaky at best. Usually have to go through the connection process many times before it will find all of the satellites and sync up if it ever does. More times than not I have to run a coax in a window and plug it straight to the receiver which is not the way it should be. The camper is pre wired for a trav’ler and I am considering going that route. Has anyone else done this? If so what were the results? I don’t mind spending the money on it if it works but would be pretty upset spending close to 2k on something that has the same issues.

Had the same satellite problem with our Cyclone. Eventually pulled 2 new coax and they run from each receiver to the dish. Straight shot with no connections which allows me no generation loss at those connections. Not fun but worth it.

Ldbarchee

You may need to check out your coax connections. The splitter(s) may be suspect, but more often that not the RF cable connectors have been assembled with reckless abandoned. Remove each RF connector and look at them. Make sure that the ground shield is not close to the center conductor and the the RF connectors are tight. You may have to chase down the splitters, and the back side of your UDC to check each connection(s). Some, not many may be three that I have seen on the forum, have had the splitters wired backwards. The connections in the wall plates will have to be checked as well. You may find it is is just one or two loose connectors, but what a pain. Not a hard job, just can be a couple of hours of time.
Thanks for the tip. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to find some bad connections as it seems that this unit was put together at 4:45 on a Friday before a holiday. Have found many things that needed attention due to just being sloppy during the build.

- - - Updated - - -

Had the same satellite problem with our Cyclone. Eventually pulled 2 new coax and they run from each receiver to the dish. Straight shot with no connections which allows me no generation loss at those connections. Not fun but worth it.
I may very well wind up doing that to ours if I don't go with the Trav'ler. I'll probably wind up doing it anyway to use as a backup in case where we are camping has trees over the top that wouldn't allow the Trav'let to get a signal.

HOGHAULER

For what its worth after installing traveler on roof had Dish come out and install a Hopper 2 with Sling. Only issue was when tech checked coax which was correct # the end connector where not . He installed blue ring rated for HD rated units. Been working great since [about 3 years].