Heating Element Replacement

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Seems like the water heater isn't getting it on electric. It was fine for the first couple of days this trip, but this morning I noticed it's only lukewarm. It's the original element in there. Heater is working OK on propane and neither of the Resets seem to be tripped. So, question is, can any element available at the local hardware/big box store be used (compatible fittings) or does the Suburban 520900 element have to be used? And it's not the outside shower being open since it only gets used when winterizing or dewinterizing to flush antifreeze, and there are no leaks in the plumbing system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can use any heating element as long as it's the correct length or a little shorter, and the important thing is it has to be rated for 110 (120) volts AC.
Add a slight bit of lubricant to the new rubber washer when installing. This will eliminate the rubber twisting out of place when tightening the new element.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

You can use any heating element as long as it's the correct length or a little shorter, and the important thing is it has to be rated for 110 (120) volts AC.
Add a slight bit of lubricant to the new rubber washer when installing. This will eliminate the rubber twisting out of place when tightening the new element.

Peace
Dave

Thanks, Dave. I kinda thought so, but it's been a long time since this subject came up. And too many brain cells have been lost over the years.

carl.swoyer

Try soaking the old one in distilled vinegar. At least overnight. Breaks up all the calcification

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Garypowell

When I turned on mine this year it worked for a day or two then no hot water....turned out to be the local switch on the unit had gone bad. I had never used it and always left it in the on position.. took it out of the circuit (just wire nutted the leads together) and I have hot water again.

still have the switch in the coach.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Good point about the switch. I've replaced mine once, it was easy.

Peace
Dave

SLO

Peace
Dave

Every suggestion Dave made is absolutely correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

It’s going on almost 12 years, so a less than $20 element will be the first attempt to correct it.

Piperflyer

(2) years after buying my RV, I had to replace the 110V side Hi-Limit/ECO switch on my water heater. Has worked fine since then.

JohnDar

(2) years after buying my RV, I had to replace the 110V side Hi-Limit/ECO switch on my water heater. Has worked fine since then.

A few years back, I replaced the Hi-Limit switch on the propane side. Since the water was lukewarm, I don’t think it’s that. But if replacing the element doesn’t fix it, then that’s next. Elements are cheap, the switch was almost $40.

HOOKERUP

Element is either good or bad, no almost. You can do a continuity test across element posts that will tell you if element is N/G

JohnDar

Element is either good or bad, no almost. You can do a continuity test across element posts that will tell you if element is N/G

Since I have to remove the burner tube to get at the element cover so I can test it, I might as well have another element on hand, even if the old one checks OK. The outside electric switch has been in the ON position since we bought the trailer.

danemayer

Since I have to remove the burner tube to get at the element cover so I can test it, I might as well have another element on hand, even if the old one checks OK. The outside electric switch has been in the ON position since we bought the trailer.

I think several people have had switch failures where the switch had been left on forever.

JohnDar

Kudos to Dan!

I removed the old water heater element and found it encrusted with scale, but it checked out with the same ohms reading as the new one. But I installed the new one anyways. Then I turned my attention to the outside switch. It had been ON since Day 1 and never seemed to want to budge, so I just ignored it. Today, I removed it and installed a new one that actually works. Water heater filled up and is now producing hot water on electric.

I did look at a YouTube video about doing the same thing, and my old switch had the same interior melt damage to the pin that open and closes the switch.

And I finally got around to replacing the analog thermostat for the Fantastic Fan. It had been acting squirrelly for some time, not wanting to respond unless I banged on it...even then. New one works fine.

Attachments

• Old Water Heater Element.JPG
    Old Water Heater Element.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Outside Water Heater Element Switch.JPG
    Outside Water Heater Element Switch.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 34

carl.swoyer

Kudos to Dan!

I removed the old water heater element and found it encrusted with scale, but it checked out with the same ohms reading as the new one. But I installed the new one anyways. Then I turned my attention to the outside switch. It had been ON since Day 1 and never seemed to want to budge, so I just ignored it. Today, I removed it and installed a new one that actually works. Water heater filled up and is now producing hot water on electric.

I did look at a YouTube video about doing the same thing, and my old switch had the same interior melt damage to the pin that open and closes the switch.

And I finally got around to replacing the analog thermostat for the Fantastic Fan. It had been acting squirrelly for some time, not wanting to respond unless I banged on it...even then. New one works fine.
John , FYI
I took my old element and soaked it in distilled vinegar for 24 hours.
It actually looks New again.
So now it's my emergency back up.
Just in case you didn't throw it away yet.

JohnDar

John , FYI
I took my old element and soaked it in distilled vinegar for 24 hours.
It actually looks New again.
So now it's my emergency back up.
Just in case you didn't throw it away yet.

Carl, nope I still have it. Since it tested OK, I'll clean it and save it.

carl.swoyer

Carl, nope I still have it. Since it tested OK, I'll clean it and save it.
I did the same thing when I replaced the 12 gallon water heater. I removed everything and stored it in a box. My tank had a leak on the top pipe, unrepairable. So I have everything as a backup.