New Member and Potential Owner- Why so many plumbing leak issues in new rigs?

Burnsze15

So I am a Jayco owner since 2013 and very well maybe converting over to the HL Cyclone brand. In two units (THs) and 7 years, I’ve had alot of issues, plumbing has not been one. Maybe the only one!

I was reading alot of threads on new Toy Haulers and Big Horns on here and find that there are ALOT of plumbing leaks. Now I dont know if Im just seeing a high concentration due to coincidence or if there is a common thread of plumbing leaks in new units? If this is the case anyone have any root causes to this?

I’ve always seen the Cyclone and Road Warrior products as being some of the best out there, definitely the pioneer since early 2000s on the evolution of the line, so Im a but surprised to see so much on leaks?

Thoughts? Thanks gang

jmarnell

I do not know about root causes, but our Cyclone 4005 did not have any issues on initial delivery. I am sure any assembly line can have issues with someone not tightening a connection properly although they should catch that with pressure tests. But that being said, we did get a plumbing leak about a year later which turned out to be a loose fitting on the back of the hot water tank. I do not know if it was initially not tightened properly at the factory or just loosened up due to road vibration. But now I make it a point to go through the rig at the start of each season and check all the waterline connections for tightness. That includes going in the basement and checking the connections down there - like the water heater! I also added shutoff valves on all the waterlines under the sinks and behind the toilets so if something does happen during a trip I can isolate the problem without shutting off the water to the entire rig until I can get it fixed.

jbeletti

Burnsze15 - thank you for checking in here.

I don't think the Heartland's toyhauler line suffers from plumbing leaks to any significant level.

I think the key for you or anyone is to do your own thorough pre-delivery inspection (PDI). For plumbing, I'd work with a dealer that is in tune with your expectation of them having water in the fresh water tank and a hose with city pressure connected to the RV. This allows you to check for yourself for plumbing leaks using shore water and using the demand pump and water tank system.

This of course never replaces good construction, PDI at the plant and a dealership PDI. I'm only suggesting that for you to know with absolute certainty that your coach is plumbing leak free - you might want to consider doing your own inspection of that system and more.