No keys???!!!!

RottsNScotts

I recently ordered and received new baggage compartment locking handles from Heartland. I took them in to be installed today.

Imagine my shock when I found that they had sent me 4 locking handles but NO keys!

When I called Heartland, after being hung up on and having to call back, I was told they do not include keys but I could order them.

How, exactly, does that help me today or any time soon and WHO DOES THAT!

danemayer

Are the new locks keyed differently from the old ones? I thought the baggage compartments were all keyed the same.

RottsNScotts

Are the new locks keyed differently from the old ones? I thought the baggage compartments were all keyed the same.

They are keyed the same but I did not keep my old keys since when they stopped working in April, 2019! I have been trying to get the handles replaced since then with one problem after another at 2 different shops and now this! I think my handles are jinxed!

mlpeloquin

Perhaps an active Heartland member can give the key number stamped on the key for the locks. You can find them on Amazon and EBay cheep. I think from memory it is a CH751. Don't ask me why I know, but always watch your keys when going through rest stops. And double check before you take off.

Oregon_Camper

Perhaps an active Heartland member can give the key number stamped on the key for the locks. You can find them on Amazon and EBay cheep. I think from memory it is a CH751. Don't ask me why I know, but always watch your keys when going through rest stops. And double check before you take off.

CH751 will only unlock the front compartment on a Heartland 5th wheel, but not the side compartments. It will also unlock the 50amp cord reel door if you have one.

Flick

My Cyclone front gen door and gas fuel station ch751.
Pass thru and side refr door had a replacement at a locksmith used a 1611 ilco which is a gas cap key for a lot of locking caps. Of course you will need the original key and I do agree the R001 is correct.

RottsNScotts

I have the key number. My issue is with my having to go get keys for locking handles I bought! Why in the world would anyone sell something that locks without including the keys???? Then say, oh, you can order those separate! So it isn't like they don't have them!

And by ordering them, it can take days to weeks to get to me!

- - - Updated - - -

The doors to the pass through basement storage aren't 751 s. They should be R001. Amazon has them as do many other places.

But why would ANYONE sell locking devices without including the keys! I know what key it is, I just have a HUGE problem with having to go find or order it, leaving my compartments unsecure when I paid a pretty penny to be able to secure them!

And then to tell me, oh, you can order the keys, so it isn't as if they did not have them!

LBR

Sounds like you received exactly what you ordered...the handles. If you tossed your old keys, don't blame Heartland for that. Did that handle order say keys were included?

rhodies1

I recently ordered and received new baggage compartment locking handles from Heartland. I took them in to be installed today.

Imagine my shock when I found that they had sent me 4 locking handles but NO keys!

When I called Heartland, after being hung up on and having to call back, I was told they do not include keys but I could order them.

How, exactly, does that help me today or any time soon and WHO DOES THAT!

Baggage compartment door Keyes are R001. Not available anywhere..If you own a Bighorn,contact Heartland and ask to speak to the Bighorn Mgr,,,I needed some and he sent me a handful at no charge.

RottsNScotts

Sounds like you received exactly what you ordered...the handles. If you tossed your old keys, don't blame Heartland for that. Did that handle order say keys were included?

So, if you went to the hardware store and bought either a handle for the front door of your house or a new padlock, you would not expect to receive keys for that lock?

- - - Updated - - -

Baggage compartment door Keyes are R001. Not available anywhere..If you own a Bighorn,contact Heartland and ask to speak to the Bighorn Mgr,,,I needed some and he sent me a handful at no charge.

I have a Cyclone but that is the same key number. This is NOT good news that you were unable to find them elsewhere! I guess today will be dedicated to trying to track them down and calling Heartland back if I am unsuccessful.

Gary521

If you, and everyone else, knows the key number, what is the point of the lock and being concerned about the key not being there. If you go to RVLOCKSANDMORE, they can supply slam locks and cam locks all keyed to the key the opens the entry door.

dewwood

I agree with the previous post. I would look into RVLOCKS, they offer keyed and keyless entry door locks as well as compartment handles and locks. I think they were offering a discount during the virtual rally just completed and may still honor it. I have the keyless as well as keyed entry door from them and love it, just push the button on the key fob and it unlocks the door.

LBR

So, if you went to the hardware store and bought either a handle for the front door of your house or a new padlock, you would not expect to receive keys for that lock?

I would use due diligence to observe the skin package lock and verify it had keys with the lock myself.... sorry you didn't verify your locks had keys if you needed them. If you need a CH751 or R001 key, just ask a fellow RVer for theirs and get copies made.

GK2018

I think I would have probably thought the same thing, that if you order a lock it would come with keys. This would be the first example I've heard of where a key doesn't come with a lock... (Mental note to self always check for keys I guess...)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I agree with the previous post. I would look into RVLOCKS, they offer keyed and keyless entry door locks as well as compartment handles and locks. I think they were offering a discount during the virtual rally just completed and may still honor it. I have the keyless as well as keyed entry door from them and love it, just push the button on the key fob and it unlocks the door.

We have these on both trailers. Orange buttons(upper) work for the Laredo and the black(lower) ones for the Bighorn. We try to use the FOBs as the keypad overlays do not last long with DW finger nails poking at the numbers.

sengli

I also had 4 slam latches replaced under warranty, and they didnt come with keys. But since I retained my OE keys it wasnt any issue at all.

Flick

I’m sorry that this happened to the OP. However, perhaps this is a good learning experience for everyone else that we can’t take things for granted. Check and double check with whoever you order things from that items will be shipped the way you thought you ordered them.
Kind of like a good carpenter that will measure that board twice before cutting.