Swap out those dumpy tent doors!

HeHawRossy

Hey All-
Just put my deposit down on a 2019 285. Looking forward to many years of good times! Question for you all- the only complaint my wife has (so far..) in comparing this toy hauler to it's -more expensive- counterparts is that the rear patio door is, well, stupid. It's a tent. The competitors offer rad sliding glass doors with screens. I'm a general contractor... wondering... can I swap out the tent and install some upgraded glass doors? Is that an available add-on or would have to be custom?
Follow up question: has anyone modified the patio gate to include stairs? Should I install a ground brace to hold the party up? other brands offer them...!

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to swapping ideas and experience!

-Rossy

danemayer

Hi HeHawRossy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

If any Torque owners have upgraded with doors or added steps, I'm sure they'll chime in.

jmarnell

Unfortunately, if you check out the Lippert Components website, it says the patio door system is only available to OEM - original equipment manufacturers. Our Cyclone came already fitted with the patio door system, basically screens with plastic covers. I also noticed that Lippert has upgraded it to what they now refer to as a Patio Wall system, apparently now with glass doors with sliding windows to expose screens. I'm sure that's the type of door you are talking about. Might be worth contacting Heartland and seeing if there is any way for an after market installation.
https://www.lci1.com/archive/2018/1...eils-next-generation-patio-wall-armor-system/

avvidclif

I'm sure a reasonably proficient carpenter could replace the system with sliding patio doors. BUT an 8' wide double patio door would only have a 4' opening with the doors all the way open. Kinda hard to get a 2 wheeler thru that size hole. My bike would have no problem though. The current system allows for an appx 7.5' opening.

love2rv

I'm sure a reasonably proficient carpenter could replace the system with sliding patio doors. BUT an 8' wide double patio door would only have a 4' opening with the doors all the way open. Kinda hard to get a 2 wheeler thru that size hole. My bike would have no problem though. The current system allows for an appx 7.5' opening.

Hi Cliff,

I just recently purchased a 2018 Cyclone 4005 and it wasn't ordered with a door. So, I've been doing some searching in the forum to see if others have added a sliding patio door and I came across your thread. Did you guys end up doing that? I'm not a carpenter...so I'm trying to learn from those who are more experienced!

Thanks,
Tom