Best route

GK2018

We haven't been that far up North yet but if I had to guess the best route would be to come pick us up and we'll figure it out together, we're in need of a vacation especially with these summer temps on their way

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gary521

There are a couple different ways to go depending upon what you like to see. The shortest is by US 287 from Rawlins. However from Rawlins to Lander it is kind of boring. The other is to go to Rock Springs then turn north. A bit more scenic that way. You can spend a day in Rock Springs looking for the herd of wild horses on the butte above the town. As you head north from Rock Springs you pass the Tetons National Park above Jackson. You can see the Tetons from the US 287 route too. Either way you wind up in the south entrance to Yellowstone and from there to West Yellowstone.
I don't want to be picky but West Yellowstone is in Montana.

CoveredWagon

There are a couple different ways to go depending upon what you like to see. The shortest is by US 287 from Rawlins. However from Rawlins to Lander it is kind of boring. The other is to go to Rock Springs then turn north. A bit more scenic that way. You can spend a day in Rock Springs looking for the herd of wild horses on the butte above the town. As you head north from Rock Springs you pass the Tetons National Park above Jackson. You can see the Tetons from the US 287 route too. Either way you wind up in the south entrance to Yellowstone and from there to West Yellowstone.
I don't want to be picky but West Yellowstone is in Montana.

Thanks, That's ok, if I get that close after leaving central FL I'll bet I can find it. The park were going to is in ID

As I used to say to folks when I was flying to small airports to see them "Irvin can find itvacter flying hundreds of miles, you should be able to find it in your own backyard.
Thanks again, we'll find it.

mikeandconnie

Off subject here, but wouId like to suggest Yellowstone gypsy tour phone app for touring the part. We found it to be wonderful. I've been to the park many times.,but discover many new things I didn't know existed with the app for 7 bucks. Enjoy.

jimbob195

Thanks, That's ok, if I get that close after leaving central FL I'll bet I can find it. The park were going to is in ID

As I used to say to folks when I was flying to small airports to see them "Irvin can find itvacter flying hundreds of miles, you should be able to find it in your own backyard.
Thanks again, we'll find it.

I live 84 miles from West Yellowstone in Idaho. What and where is the park in Idaho? There are a couple of ways to get to the Idaho side of West Yellowstone, one WAY easier than the other. Your GPS will take you over an 11,000 foot mountain pass if you're not aware of it!

CoveredWagon

I live 84 miles from West Yellowstone in Idaho. What and where is the park in Idaho? There are a couple of ways to get to the Idaho side of West Yellowstone, one WAY easier than the other. Your GPS will take you over an 11,000 foot mountain pass if you're not aware of it!

Jim, that is what I really would like to avoid. We have reservations at RedRock RV Park in Island Park ID.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Not sure what route the Garmin RV GPS might take.
Our truck has plenty of guts and we tow at less the 15 k. However I do understand mountains that's why,I'm asking.

Gary521

Yes, the route on US 287 will take you over a pass but this is not a white knuckle pass. This will actually bring you to where you can see spectacular shots of the Grand Tetons. The route from Rock Springs avoids a pass as far as I can remember. No matter which way you go, you will not avoid some mountain driving.
You can also go thru Cody but this is a bit longer and enters Yellowstone on the east. I have been that way but there is some more strenuous mountain driving going thru Yellowstone that way.

jimbob195

Jim, that is what I really would like to avoid. We have reservations at RedRock RV Park in Island Park ID.
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Not sure what route the Garmin RV GPS might take.
Our truck has plenty of guts and we tow at less the 15 k. However I do understand mountains that's why,I'm asking.
I have never driven 287. We went from Rexburg to Florida two years ago during the winter. I chose I-80 to get to Rawlins then went south to I-70, but just because it was cold and I wanted to avoid blizzard conditions wherever possible. Red Rock is about 60 miles north of us.
I like to go from Rock Springs Wy. north on 191. There are a couple of little passes on that road, but not bad. You go through Bondurant to the Hoback Junction, go left on highway 26 and follow it along the Snake River and Palisades Lake......Beautiful drive. At Alpine you will be in Idaho, and 3 hours from Red Rock.
This way you will miss the Grand Tetons, but if you were to continue north on 191 instead of turning on 26 at Hoback Junction, you would go through Jackson Hole, Grand Teton National Park and could enter Yellowstone through the South gate at Moran, Wy. and you are just over 3 hours to Red Rock.
Be aware, the 11,000 foot pass I was talking about is Highway 22 between Jackson Wy. and Victor, Idaho. I've seen a few breathless campers that have taken this route, because it is the shortest, and the GPS picks it. it doesn't tell you that it's several miles of 10% grade on each side with lots of sharp corners.
I don't know if this helps, but we've got some beautiful mountains, rivers and streams out here. Enjoy and have a safe, enjoyable journey.

MattZX

Yes, the route on US 287 will take you over a pass but this is not a white knuckle pass. This will actually bring you to where you can see spectacular shots of the Grand Tetons. The route from Rock Springs avoids a pass as far as I can remember. No matter which way you go, you will not avoid some mountain driving.
You can also go thru Cody but this is a bit longer and enters Yellowstone on the east. I have been that way but there is some more strenuous mountain driving going thru Yellowstone that way.

Gary521, nice, thanks for information. Sometimes I prefer to route my new trips based on other stories and meanings, but sometimes a decision to go in the trip or not to go I prefer to base on articles about my zodiac signs, and some spiritual things like on this website, where authors give pretty nice explanations how person should make his or her decisions.

Last edited: