Electrical Problem

JanAndBill

Out of the blue our TV in the coach wouldn't raise or lower, and the LED lights above stopped working. A little troubleshooting later, I discovered that I had power, but a weak ground. Ran a jumper ground to the switch to get the TV up and down, and in doing so, also makes the LED lights above operate. I assumed I had a break in the ground wire somewhere between the fuse block and the switch at the back of the coach. Bought a signal tracer to run the wire today. Everything good from the back to where the wire the wire goes through the frame and under the floor. Before I drop the Corplast I decided to pull the fuse panel and look behind for any visible problems. Couldn't find anything, all the screw connections tight on the grounds, but somehow in reaching in and moving stuff around I suddenly had a full ground again. So now everything works, as it should, but the problem is I don't know if I should just button it up, and call it good or tear into it further to see if I can find the source of the problem. As long as it's working it's pretty much impossible to trace the problem?

Anyone had a similar problem and how did you address it?? I guess if it does it again, I can just run a new ground wire???

danemayer

If all the screws on the ground bus were tight, you might trace the large ground wire to its frame connection. The battery negative wire probably goes to the same ground bus on the frame. It could be in the front compartment, or perhaps behind the rear wall of the pass through storage.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I had a problem with the ground wire on my trailer. The screw was tight but when I took it loose there was a layer of paint interfering with a good ground. I wire brushed it clean of all paint and have had no problems since.

JanAndBill

If all the screws on the ground bus were tight, you might trace the large ground wire to its frame connection. The battery negative wire probably goes to the same ground bus on the frame. It could be in the front compartment, or perhaps behind the rear wall of the pass through storage.

On my Big horn I think it's in the front compartment, I'll check it. As I recall there's also a grounding lug on the frame, that I'll check as well.

I would think that a weak primary ground would affect all the circuits but who knows.

Footnote: Now the ceiling LED that comes on when you open the door is dim.

wdk450

I would start vigorously moving ground wires around the fuse box (where you noticed that the problem, suddenly corrected itself) watching the energized device for signs that you found the bad wire/connection. You may have a bad wire strip on a multi-conductor (stranded) wire and either just a few of the wire strands making connection, or possibly an intermittent conductor break within the wire's insulation.