Drop down grate/bike rack

Ccoe1

I am looking for a way to mount some bikes on the back of my TT. I have a North Trail that has the drop down grate on the rear. When I drop the grate down there is a square receiver where the spare tire is, it measures 1.5" by 1.5". Just wondering if there is a rack that will fit that receiver that will hold 4 bikes.

bike rack 2.jpgInkedbike rack_LI.jpg

h2oskierc

Mine came with a metal tube that goes in there, and has an eye bolt at the top to strap to. Works really well. See if you have a black tube that will go in there. Bikes rest on the rack, and strap them to that tube.

Sadly, I didn’t take any pictures of it when I used it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ccoe1

Found the tube for that slot. I stored it away and forgot about it. Didnt think i would use it. Thanks

h2oskierc

Awesome! I was pleasantly surprised with how well that rack worked for our bikes.

h2oskierc

543528bf562ccab2c4818fd21163cf91.jpg

Not the best picture for the bikes, but hopefully it helps?

Chris

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I had the slide-out rear bumper on my 2013 Heartland Trail Runner, which is basically the same rear rack.

I found it such a PITA to strap the bikes up each time that we went out with it that the bikes hardly ever left the rack because i didn't want to deal with strapping them back on again.

Skinned knuckles...dropped lots of quarters in the swear jar... :eek:

Had that trailer for two years and almost every single photo (and I take lots of photos) that I took of that Trail Runner, the bike are almost always still on the rack.

Finally just relented to not taking the bikes anymore.

And when I traded it in for my 5'ver, they had two of the same model side by side...the only difference between the two was that one had the flip-down rear bumper rack.

I bought the one without the rack and never regretted it.

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095052920.jpg ProwlerUtahKOA-P1020477.jpg

h2oskierc

I’m going to respectfully disagree. Mounting the bikes on that rack is easier than putting them on my old hitch mount bike carrier. Load them on, alternate the handlebars, and strap them in place. Easy peasy. One ratchet strap is perfect to secure them to the tray and their upright bar.

Chris

2021 North Trail Caliber 33 BUDS - 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab w/ 6.5' Box - Z71 5.3L 3.42 Rear End w/ Z82 Trailering Package - Tuson DirectLink Brake Controller

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I’m going to respectfully disagree. Mounting the bikes on that rack is easier than putting them on my old hitch mount bike carrier. Load them on, alternate the handlebars, and strap them in place. Easy peasy. One ratchet strap is perfect to secure them to the tray and their upright bar.

Wait until you've had to do it a few times... :confused:

Phlatkat

thanks for the comments, we have the rack on our 2021 22CRB and really didn't get any explanation other than "you can put coolers and stuff on it". Bikes make sense and the found the mystery poll in the bed compartment. if you're facing the rack there is another square hole with a keeper tab in it. Is this for mounting something on it?

Thanks in advance.
Jay

Steve2

thanks for the comments, we have the rack on our 2021 22CRB and really didn't get any explanation other than "you can put coolers and stuff on it". Bikes make sense and the found the mystery poll in the bed compartment. if you're facing the rack there is another square hole with a keeper tab in it. Is this for mounting something on it?

Thanks in advance.
Jay
Did you ever try this? I’m going to probably try it this weekend. I’m not finding any other parts or attachments out there other than that bar.