Replacing a BAL Accu-Slide slide-out clip-in style wiper seal

Drew-z

If you have a BAL R854056 clip in style wiper seal that is cracking after only a one or two year use like I have I bet you are frustrated too. Heartland RV customer service told me they only warranty them for 90 days to the original owner and that alone is another topic. My local North Trail RV dealer stocks these wiper seals because so many customers have the same issue. I think I've come up with a better fix and I'll do my best to explain it below. Refer to this parts list for reference (https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/accuslide/accuslide_material-list.pdf)

1) Refer to picture #1 to see if this is the situation you have. The blue arrow points to the groove the clip-in style seal snaps into. The red arrow points to the cracked seal falling down.
2) Buy enough BAL R854047 (picture #3) adhesive style wiper seal to replace the original R854056 wiper seal.
3) Refer to picture #2 - remove BAL part #25041 (cable patch) and the broken wiper seal. I found the the clip-in seal could be easily slid down through the groove and removed from the bottom of the slide opening.
4) Clean metal slide opening bracket with rubbing alcohol. Be sure to remove all adhesive residue from the cable patch.
5) Cut the length of adhesive seal that you need to cover the complete length of metal seal bracket. It was 6' 1 1/2" for my North Trail 22FBS slide opening
6) Precisely measure the location of the cables in relation to the gasket. In my case the cables were 7" and 5' 7" from the top.
7) Refer to picture #4 - Drill a hold slightly smaller than the cable about 3/16" to the left of the wiper seal joint between the harder and softer material. Then slit the wiper seal with scissors or tin snips from the left edge to the hole. Do this for both cable locations.
8) Hang the seal on both cables and tuck the wiping side of the seal back inside the camper. This will hold the seal in place prior to taking the adhesive backing off.
9) Get a 1/4" thick pieces of straight wood about eighteen inches long and 3/4" wide. I ripped one from a board with my table saw.
10) Refer to picture #5 - place the wood between the left of the seal and the fold in the metal bracket. It should stay in place by itself. Now start removing the adhesive backing and pressing the wiper seal against the metal bracket. Only remove about a foot of adhesive backing at a time and work your way down being sure to slide the wooden guide as you go.
torn seal and clip groove.JPG Picture 2.JPGPicture 3.JPGPicture 4.JPGPicture 5.JPG

Corndog

Drew-Z Thanks for the very detailed repair. I have ordered materials and will follow your recommendations. Better than the $1,300.00 estimate I got from a local RV repair shop!

Corndog

Drew, I somewhat followed your wonderful guidance. Ordered 3" wipes with tape from RecPro, used the wife's sewing tools to trim (see T-7 attached). Cut the remaining seals/wipes off, cleaned the surfaces well and primed the aluminum with 3-M primer 94 (amazon) and set it using a paint stir stick for clearance from the D seal. Used a grommet tool set from Harbor Freight to cut the holes for both the seal and sponge gasket ( I purchased from a local rubber supplier) and simply snipped to allow to get around the cable(s).
I hope this may help others as well!

Attachments

• t7.jpg
    t7.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 141
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 126
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 119
  • t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 109
  • t3.jpg
    t3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 104
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 100
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 99
  • t9.jpg
    t9.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 140

dudkas

I know this post is a couple years old but I have the same issues with my cable slide. I am curious if there is an update? Did the design last longer than the OEM? What about the inner wiper? Did you leave it original?