Eureka Yellow Jacket central vac fire

Does anyone have a Eureka Yellow Jacket Central vacuum that caused fire?�� Ours shorted out causing a fire and burnt our wiring harness. (2011 Big Country fifth wheel) I was standing by the camper when I heard it then there was smoke and then flames shooting from the vent beside the vacuum. Two fire extinguishers were used to get fire out.

87AC979B-C983-4042-A527-5B73F3A48EFD.jpg360BF95B-FCF5-4E2E-A679-8BC9C5C8F692.jpgF9030F3E-34C5-44F5-82E2-0242B18A5A95.jpgF9030F3E-34C5-44F5-82E2-0242B18A5A95.jpg

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have never heard of that happening.
What wiring harness got burned?
Good you got the fire out before more serious damage or injury.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I'm also curious about the wiring harness. As I recall, my Yellow Jacket has a standard power cord and a couple of low voltage wires that go to the port where the hose connects.

I'm also curious about the wiring harness. As I recall, my Yellow Jacket has a standard power cord and a couple of low voltage wires that go to the port where the hose connects.
Maybe it was the wiring harness that started the fire. It goes to the shop next Thursday so we will find out more. Or maybe neither but both sweeper and wiring harness are burnt. Wiring harness is main wire system that runs through our camper.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My sister in law bought a used 2012 Bighorn a few years ago, upon further investigation we discovered the Yellowjacket vac behind the basement wall had some burned wires and melted plastic. We never tried to operate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister in law bought a used 2012 Bighorn a few years ago, upon further investigation we discovered the Yellowjacket vac behind the basement wall had some burned wires and melted plastic. We never tried to operate it.

That’s exactly where ours is located! I used the Yellowjacket vac about an hour before! We are pretty sure that’s what started it!! Because if the fire our wiring harness burnt too!! I update you next week after the camper is evaluated by the shop.
If she still has that camper I would get it checked out.

danemayer

That’s exactly where ours is located! I used the Yellowjacket vac about an hour before! We are pretty sure that’s what started it!! Because if the fire our wiring harness burnt too!! I update you next week after the camper is evaluated by the shop.

Can you explain precisely what you mean by "wiring harness"?

As anyone who has taken down the rear wall of the pass through storage has discovered, Heartland has nothing that would typically be called a wiring harness. Rather it's just a lot of individual wires.

Are you the original owner of this trailer?

Can you explain precisely what you mean by "wiring harness"?

As anyone who has taken down the rear wall of the pass through storage has discovered, Heartland has nothing that would typically be called a wiring harness. Rather it's just a lot of individual wires.

Are you the original owner of this trailer?
Yes, We are the original owner.

RV wiring harness is vehicle-specific and plugs into the existing wiring system

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Yes, We are the original owner.

I'm confused by this also. the Yellow Jacket has a single120volt line that runs to the circuit breaker panel. Do you mean that wire is burnt? Or are you talking about the main line that comes into the RV from the Shore power box?

avvidclif

If you want to call that massive conglomeration of wires going everywhere and nowhere a harness, well ok. Designed and built by the 3 stooges.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

No she does not. I can tell you that their Yellow Jacket had a cord plugged into a standard three prong outlet, and it was unplugged. No damage to the plug or cord. The wires and plastic that looked melted were on the Yellowjacket unit itself.

danemayer

Still have no idea what you mean. I have a 2011 Landmark and there is no wiring harness. And the Eureka has a standard power cord that plugs into a standard outlet.

If you're sharing so that other owners can know what went wrong and what to check, some pictures would go a long way.

carl.swoyer

Possible that the problem was where the power cord was wired into the vacuum?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Still have no idea what you mean. I have a 2011 Landmark and there is no wiring harness. And the Eureka has a standard power cord that plugs into a standard outlet.

If you're sharing so that other owners can know what went wrong and what to check, some pictures would go a long way.
B608CCB6-A092-42AC-BA6D-C1B5D3684540.jpg6679D1A4-6958-4079-ADD4-C62C34B76F70.jpg

danemayer

You should consider contacting the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) and ask them to investigate.

danemayer

Fire burnt the wiring harness which is not a part on the eureka Yellow Jacket.

It seems like the primary issue is what caused the vacuum cleaner to be on fire an hour after using it. Did you notice any noise continuing after disconnecting the hose - indicating that it was still running? Anything unusual before noticing the smoke and flame?