Upgrading the Converter

6.7LMegaCab

Hey all!

I'm picking up 4x US 2200 XC2 232 Ah (6 volt) batteries for my Road Warrior and I am wondering if I should also replace the WFCO WF-9855, 55A converter that came with the rig?

We dry camp most of the time, so I want to ensure the batteries are getting adequately charged when the gen is running.

If I upgrade, I'm guessing the wiring will need to be upgraded as well? What about wiring to the fuse panel? Would the Progressive Dynamics PD9270 (70A) converter be an appropriate upgrade?

We may add solar panels in the future, so perhaps I can forego a converter upgrade?

Any tips and tricks to get me going in the right direction is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh

jbeletti

Changing the converter for that size battery bank is probably a good idea.

Give Progressive Dynamics a call to see which one they’d suggest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Hey all!

I'm picking up 4x US 2200 XC2 232 Ah (6 volt) batteries for my Road Warrior and I am wondering if I should also replace the WFCO WF-9855, 55A converter that came with the rig?

We dry camp most of the time, so I want to ensure the batteries are getting adequately charged when the gen is running.

If I upgrade, I'm guessing the wiring will need to be upgraded as well? What about wiring to the fuse panel? Would the Progressive Dynamics PD9270 (70A) converter be an appropriate upgrade?

We may add solar panels in the future, so perhaps I can forego a converter upgrade?

Any tips and tricks to get me going in the right direction is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Josh
I don't think 70 amp is significant enough to change out.
When I installed my Magnum Ms 2812 the built in charger was 125 amp.
Maybe look at putting a magnum inverter/ charger in and kill two birds with one stone.
Just my way of thinking.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

Thanks all! Very good thoughts. I had a PD 9200 series on my last rig, so I'm familiar with their features, which is part of the drive to move away from the current system.

I do like the sound of an inverter charger though. I'll change gears for now and research those before making any more moves on upgrades.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

wdk450

The magnum Inverter/Charger is definitely a fine sounding piece of equipment. It D
does have tri-state charging, but I don't know if it has a desulphation mode. Of course it has a large 2800 watt pure sine wave inverter, and even its own load transfer switch. But the $1600 price tag is hard to swallow, and consider if one of its subsections breaks down with the whole device out of commission, versus having separate charger/converter, transfer relay, and inverter which could all be individually bypassed or taken out of use without affecting ALL of the functions the Inverter/charger preforms.

carl.swoyer

The magnum is worth every penny. The I have two dedicated circuits for my dry camp. I'm running off 4 deka group 31 AGM batteries.
I simply unplugged My factory charger. Now if the charger board should die(on the magnum) I simply plug the factory charger back in (my backup plan)
If you have a generator you can program the magnum for the correct shore power/ generator output.
I just last year did a 3 month 8500 mile trip.
Dry camping the majority of the trip.
Between the Magnum , Onan and my solar I was never worried about anything as far as 120vac or 12vdc.
When we used the microwave we ran the generator and it put a really good charge to my batteries.
The Magnum Ms is incredibly built.
Easy to repair, as I got mine from a dumpster and with guidance from Magnum we determined a ? PET board (charger circuit board) needed to be replaced.
The huge charging ability of the Ms 2812 .... Wouldn't have it any other way.
Some mornings without good solar a 10 or 15 minute run with the Onan kept me up. Faster charge less propane use.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk