Flex Armor (sprayed on) Roof

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yes, absolutely! I am not sure how repairs to the decking factors into the cost. When cost was discussed with us, it sounded like decking issues were included, unless it was significant damage that they would then inform insurance about if they needed to adjust the claim. We did discuss replacement of the radius metal along the sides if needed, and it was $40 a foot, if they could not repair, which they said most of the time they could.

Since we had to pick up our rig after they were closed, we have not seen a “final bill”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! Good to know. Let us know how it holds up over time
Hopefully that white will help with cooling too
Travel safe

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here are a couple more pics of the FlexArmor application that I took this morning.

We opted for a more textured look on the roof, they called it the “FEMA ROOF texture” because it was a technique applied to a bunch of FEMA trailers to make them have a little better traction on them. It’s actually easier for them to achieve this texture than the standard, more smooth finish.

Since we winter camp to go skiing and often have to remove snow on these trips, we decided a texture would be more beneficial. I really like how it turned out. There was quite a bit of condensation on the roof this morning and I didn’t feel concerned about slipping.

Closeup of the texture and how the color on the radius curve looks

ba7ae482ea89e8de0532570e08967eef.jpg

We had a plate on the roof for the satellite since this wasn’t the factory designated location for a satellite. They left the plate and sprayed over it, then the edge of the satellite was also sealed to the roof. They neatly bundled the wiring in a wire casing and secured with removable clamps. The bolts that hold the clamps are embedded in the coating. The box is secured to the roof with epoxy.

b99a07a0813913785cda5aea446c85e4.jpg

This is the transition over the front cap edge and covers the side all the way into the gutter. No chance for water to get into any of these areas again.

ddafe0ea03750d3e30a1cd97cae3c8d8.jpg

Back corner, same principle. Corner moulding and transition to radius on the side and transition to back wall are all sealed with the roofing material.
66e208941d8559ea89095f7cb83d9967.jpg

Wiring from Satellite going into rig — this will not be going anywhere for a long time!
a16298b69256408fe66b6af3ae29c8bc.jpg

Closeup of bolts and clamps holding Sat wiring
9fbe3a09c2f887049b81a53a72969789.jpg

Originally, rig came with Antenatek crank up antenna, and we had replaced the entire thing with a King Jack Antenna that only stuck up about 1.5 feet. We discovered that we didn’t get the channels like we did with the old crank up, probably because it couldn’t get good reception in certain directions due to the AC.

Our previous Elkridge we had kept the crank-up but used the version of King Jack antenna head that replaces the batwing.

We opted to go back to that style, and thanks to Mpeloquin here on the forum, I got an excellent used crank-up antenna, and we added the KingJack head. Thanks Marc!

af8d9aa718ddadfa2a93048c7bd66150.jpg

This shows the new smoke vent covers and the coating around the skylight that was not replaced. (They could not find the correct size in a timely manner, and neither could I during multiple searches- I didn’t have time to try Heartland, and figured there were folks needing parts from them more desperately than me.)

3fa8de43b7b8ffbc84f522afd39b1172.jpg

Overall in this light, you can see every irregularity in the surface, including bumps and divots and bubbles that were on the roof before. Although this may not look “appealing”, they are definitely rock solid and not going to be any issue in the future.

If you are expecting perfect-looking smooth surface over the entire roof, you probably won’t get it since it is a repair... their goal is to make a sound finished product, not a perfect cosmetic application.

We now have a nearly indestructible roof with a lifetime transferable warranty, and to the casual observer from the ground, it looks extremely good compared to a standard rubber roof install that’s 5 years old.

TravelTiger

Looking good. You will find out it deadens some sound.

Yes Clif, I can already tell the ACs are not as loud, and when Tony turned the rooftop satellite on to set up, it was also harder to hear it make its gyrations. I look forward to the softer sounds of raindrops!

mlpeloquin

Erica,

You are welcome for the antenna. It was sitting for five or more years and needed a home. I and others will want to know if it keeps the rig cooler in the hot summer. Please post after the first 100+ day.

TravelTiger

Erica,

You are welcome for the antenna. It was sitting for five or more years and needed a home. I and others will want to know if it keeps the rig cooler in the hot summer. Please post after the first 100+ day.

Will do Marc, should be soon, 100 is the predicted high on Tuesday! :(

h2oskierc

That’s a great looking roof. Mind my asking what the cost is to do that?

NYSUPstater

That’s a great looking roof. Mind my asking what the cost is to do that?

See Post #18.

Tiger, Does this type of roof aid in reducing black streaks? I really like how it covers the areas where it meets the front cap, sides to molding/gutters and rear area. I just re-sealed my roof to side few weeks ago as you recall and now doing touch-ups as I see them in other areas. Glad I re-did the roof when I did. Perhaps a year or so before we got the new coach, was considering getting the Flex Armour as the roof on old coach was nearing the 12 year mark. Like others, waiting to see how it aids in the cooling dep't.

TravelTiger

See Post #18.

Tiger, Does this type of roof aid in reducing black streaks? I really like how it covers the areas where it meets the front cap, sides to molding/gutters and rear area. I just re-sealed my roof to side few weeks ago as you recall and now doing touch-ups as I see them in other areas. Glad I re-did the roof when I did. Perhaps a year or so before we got the new coach, was considering getting the Flex Armour as the roof on old coach was nearing the 12 year mark. Like others, waiting to see how it aids in the cooling dep't.

My understanding is that we should not get them with this product.

Pricing will vary based on location, so go to their website and ask for a quote from the location nearest you. I saw people say they paid $160 a linear foot, but not sure that was this year or this location. The Dallas/FtWorth Metroplex has experienced a lot of hail the past few years, so pricing may be higher there.

mlpeloquin

Erica,

I was just looking at the picture that showed a close up of the antenna base. Someone painted it and really spiffed it up like new! I know it has been in the low 90's in central Texas, but not 100's. Can you tell the difference with the new roof yet?

TravelTiger

Erica,

I was just looking at the picture that showed a close up of the antenna base. Someone painted it and really spiffed it up like new! I know it has been in the low 90's in central Texas, but not 100's. Can you tell the difference with the new roof yet?

Marc, I don’t think they painted it, it may just be how the shadows are falling in the pic. We didn’t do anything to it, it looked great from you as is!

Temps have not been hot enough to tell a huge difference. We do think we feel a difference inside, maybe a few degrees so far, but the outside temps have not been challengingly hot — Yet!

We also plan to treat our slideout roofs this weekend with Dicor CoolCoat, hoping that will also help with the heat and maintain those roofs. (We don’t have slide toppers on our 5 slideouts!)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
You guys will love this roof! We've had ours now for three years...it's still like new. No maintenance whatsoever...best investment you can make. They even removed and replaced 8 solar panels along with all the other stuff up there.

Attachments

• 21686111_1681065131965120_5278090775043453759_n.jpg
    21686111_1681065131965120_5278090775043453759_n.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 68

TravelTiger

You guys will love this roof! We've had ours now for three years...it's still like new. No maintenance whatsoever...best investment you can make. They even removed and replaced 8 solar panels along with all the other stuff up there.

Yes we spent a lot of time on the roof this weekend, we do love it! This thing seems like it’s bulletproof now!

avvidclif

What you up to on the roof? Millie was informed when ours was done she would not have to get on the roof again, and she took it seriously.

TravelTiger

What you up to on the roof? Millie was informed when ours was done she would not have to get on the roof again, and she took it seriously.

Clif, we treated the 5 slide roofs with Dicor CoolCoat, since they were needing some maintenance. We don’t have toppers on the slideouts, so we thought this would be a good solution to make them “new” like the roof and hopefully add some additional heat barrier.

Each slide had to first be wrapped in plastic to protect it from run-off from the “step 1” cleaner/prep of the Dicor system, which supposedly cleans and sets up the rubber for receiving the “step 2” CoolCoat.

After power washing the cleaner off, we remove the plastic and wait for it to dry. Then we taped off the roof area only, and paint the CoolCoat on with a roller. Wait for coat 1 to dry, then do a second coat. Ended up after they were all done, I did a third coat as well. Then I added a new strip of Eternabond tape just behind the slide face. Our rig came with a strip there, covering screw heads. However, over time the screws have begun to wear through that tape.

We did 2 slides Saturday and 3 slides Sunday. My knees still hurt, I have some slight sunburn, a few bruises, my shoulders are stiff, and I’m sleeping like a rock, but the end results look very good. Enjoying the low to mid 90s so far this June, so hard to tell if the new roofs are contributing to a cooler inside. ;)

NYSUPstater

Clif, we treated the 5 slide roofs with Dicor CoolCoat, since they were needing some maintenance. We don’t have toppers on the slideouts, so we thought this would be a good solution to make them “new” like the roof and hopefully add some additional heat barrier.

Each slide had to first be wrapped in plastic to protect it from run-off from the “step 1” cleaner/prep of the Dicor system, which supposedly cleans and sets up the rubber for receiving the “step 2” CoolCoat.

After power washing the cleaner off, we remove the plastic and wait for it to dry. Then we taped off the roof area only, and paint the CoolCoat on with a roller. Wait for coat 1 to dry, then do a second coat. Ended up after they were all done, I did a third coat as well. Then I added a new strip of Eternabond tape just behind the slide face. Our rig came with a strip there, covering screw heads. However, over time the screws have begun to wear through that tape.

We did 2 slides Saturday and 3 slides Sunday. My knees still hurt, I have some slight sunburn, a few bruises, my shoulders are stiff, and I’m sleeping like a rock, but the end results look very good. Enjoying the low to mid 90s so far this June, so hard to tell if the new roofs are contributing to a cooler inside. ;)

Are you for hire??? LOL

TravelTiger

Well, I can say that the FlexArmor does make a significant difference is sound deadening. We had some pretty heavy rain Monday night, and it sounded like a gentle shower! I think there was even some small hail, but it didn’t sound like it!

As far as making an insulating difference, it’s still not a significant change. Maybe a 1-2 degrees cooler, however I do think the rig is able to cool off faster once the sun isn’t beating on it directly. That could be because the ACs were cleanly and carefully re-installed, rather than original install with 5 years worth of aging.

All this to say, we opted to cheat the system and buy a portable AC unit. It has brought the significant improvement we were looking for. With it and the main AC, we can easily get the temp in the living area to 74. Will see how we fair over the next 5 days with highs being 100+.

Toy1Ton

Toy 1 Ton
Here are a couple more pics of the FlexArmor application that I took this morning.

We opted for a more textured look on the roof, they called it the “FEMA ROOF texture” because it was a technique applied to a bunch of FEMA trailers to make them have a little better traction on them. It’s actually easier for them to achieve this texture than the standard, more smooth finish.

Since we winter camp to go skiing and often have to remove snow on these trips, we decided a texture would be more beneficial. I really like how it turned out. There was quite a bit of condensation on the roof this morning and I didn’t feel concerned about slipping.

Closeup of the texture and how the color on the radius curve looks

ba7ae482ea89e8de0532570e08967eef.jpg

We had a plate on the roof for the satellite since this wasn’t the factory designated location for a satellite. They left the plate and sprayed over it, then the edge of the satellite was also sealed to the roof. They neatly bundled the wiring in a wire casing and secured with removable clamps. The bolts that hold the clamps are embedded in the coating. The box is secured to the roof with epoxy.

b99a07a0813913785cda5aea446c85e4.jpg

This is the transition over the front cap edge and covers the side all the way into the gutter. No chance for water to get into any of these areas again.

ddafe0ea03750d3e30a1cd97cae3c8d8.jpg

Back corner, same principle. Corner moulding and transition to radius on the side and transition to back wall are all sealed with the roofing material.
66e208941d8559ea89095f7cb83d9967.jpg

Wiring from Satellite going into rig — this will not be going anywhere for a long time!
a16298b69256408fe66b6af3ae29c8bc.jpg

Closeup of bolts and clamps holding Sat wiring
9fbe3a09c2f887049b81a53a72969789.jpg

Originally, rig came with Antenatek crank up antenna, and we had replaced the entire thing with a King Jack Antenna that only stuck up about 1.5 feet. We discovered that we didn’t get the channels like we did with the old crank up, probably because it couldn’t get good reception in certain directions due to the AC.

Our previous Elkridge we had kept the crank-up but used the version of King Jack antenna head that replaces the batwing.

We opted to go back to that style, and thanks to Mpeloquin here on the forum, I got an excellent used crank-up antenna, and we added the KingJack head. Thanks Marc!

af8d9aa718ddadfa2a93048c7bd66150.jpg

This shows the new smoke vent covers and the coating around the skylight that was not replaced. (They could not find the correct size in a timely manner, and neither could I during multiple searches- I didn’t have time to try Heartland, and figured there were folks needing parts from them more desperately than me.)

3fa8de43b7b8ffbc84f522afd39b1172.jpg

Overall in this light, you can see every irregularity in the surface, including bumps and divots and bubbles that were on the roof before. Although this may not look “appealing”, they are definitely rock solid and not going to be any issue in the future.

If you are expecting perfect-looking smooth surface over the entire roof, you probably won’t get it since it is a repair... their goal is to make a sound finished product, not a perfect cosmetic application.

We now have a nearly indestructible roof with a lifetime transferable warranty, and to the casual observer from the ground, it looks extremely good compared to a standard rubber roof install that’s 5 years old.

I'm curious as to what vent covers did you use

Bobby A

I have really enjoyed this post Ericka, thanks for posting pics of before and after and in between, I am highly interested in this product for my 12 year old coach that we still love. I have e-mailed the get a quote option 2 times and have not gotten a response back, getting a little frustrated with the customer service or lack of !!