Uh-oh. Big scratch on sidewall.

danemayer

If it turns out to be serious enough to end up with a blowout while on the highway, you could find yourself in a dangerous highway situation, you will likely have significant body damage to the RV as the tire comes apart, and you'll be asking yourself why you didn't replace that tire right away.

I had a similar situation on my truck. Called my son who works for Discount Tire and sent him a picture. He said to replace it. Went and got 6 new tires for the truck. Of course, the tires on the truck did have about 45000 miles on them.
Better to be safe than sorry.

pedirob

So, next question...replace the one bad tire with sidewall damage, or all 4? These are the OEM tires, "Ridgway Sport ST," and are only 1-1/2 years old. It seems wasteful to replace tires that aren't even 2 years old...and I only take the trailer out about once a month. They don't have many miles. They look good. But I don't have great confidence in this unknown brand. I would feel better with a well known tire name. However, I have to say, I have looked all over the Internet and found NO complaints about the Ridgway Sport, whatever it is.

RickL

The photo doesn’t really show how deep the snag is. If it’s just superficial, in other words, about a 1/16 - 1/8” deep, and you can’t see cords/ body plies then the tire will run ok. However if you can see the body cords then I’d recommend replacing the tire.

Just remember, if you use it everyday or once a year, the potential for failure is there. I used to just shake my head when people would tell me “I only load the truck up once a year to get fire wood, so I don’t need a tire that is that heavy duty”. As I explained, that’s when you do the damage. Most opted to move to the higher carrying capacity, but those that didn’t always had a note written on their invoice stating they where told of potential problems by overloading. I only had one come back and argue the point, he walked out unhappy I wouldn’t warranty his problem.