Lithium plumbing

idcuda

Any 2414 owners out there? Love the overall setup so far and the build seems solid. One (major) issue we've found is that everything except for the shower is draining directly to the black tank. This is obviously unacceptable for a trailer with 105 gallons of fresh water capacity and a 40 gallon black tank. I'm taking the trailer in on Tuesday for inspection by the dealer, so we'll see where it goes.

Heartland's email support was very quick to respond and very helpful. They acknowledged this was an error and sent the plumbing diagram to help. This allowed me to go to the dealer with evidence of an issue.

idcuda

Dealership has confirmed that the plumbing is not correct and is requesting feedback from Heartland. Still in a waiting pattern.

On a positive note, we took the hauler out again this past weekend, and it was great. Good mix of hot, rainy, and snow! Only three of us, so we were at no risk of filling the black tank this time :)

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Dealership has confirmed that the plumbing is not correct and is requesting feedback from Heartland. Still in a waiting pattern.

On a positive note, we took the hauler out again this past weekend, and it was great. Good mix of hot, rainy, and snow! Only three of us, so we were at no risk of filling the black tank this time :)

Don't wait for the dealer to get an answer. Call Heartland yourself and find out if the dealer did in fact contact Heartland about your problem.

carl.swoyer

Don't wait for the dealer to get an answer. Call Heartland yourself and find out if the dealer did in fact contact Heartland about your problem.
I agree, dealership will more often than not say we're waiting for the manufacturer when in fact they never called.
So I have always taken care of everything pertaining to warranty by calling myself.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

idcuda

Thanks for the feedback. I have been in touch with Heartland and they've been quick to respond. However, they are now, predictably, saying the plumbing is correct (after twice telling me that the kitchen drains to the grey tank, because, why wouldn't it!). So, I have a trailer that was designed with plumbing that's counter to anything I, the dealership, and, apparently, the Heartland customer service rep, have ever seen. It's a bummer. I'm not sure what the next step is...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If Heartland provided a plumbing diagram, but your rig was not built to those specifications, I’d be asking to talk to someone higher up the ladder. I believe Jim Fenner is who you might need to speak to, I’m not sure his exact title but he was over their Service Center at one time, and I believe has a lot to do with their audit center.

This may be a case where Heartland and the dealer cannot agree on the cost of repair and the dealer is telling you “Heartland said it’s ok as is” rather than what’s really true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all! We picked up our Lithium 2414 a little over a week ago and have now been camping for a few days. This is our second toy hauler and we were very surprised to see the black tank full after only a day and a half. After a little investigation, it appears we have the same plumbing issue. We've already spoken with the service depth. about a separate issue, the ramp door bars, and will be taking it in for service next week. Please give an update on how they solved your plumbing issue. Otherwise, it's a great camper!

rclogg

You two should compare VIN numbers, (if there sequential) could be a run that were miss built? Could make it impossible for Heatland to ignore.

idcuda

Well, I've received no constructive feedback yet. I re-ignited the discussions yesterday and the dealer told me they've received no feedback from Heartland, either. Bish's did say that they have 2 other customers with the same issue and no resolution.

A month ago, I asked Heartland for the RVIA code that allows this - they replied with an irrelevant fire code. I'm not suggesting RVIA standards say this design isn't allowed, but I'd like to see it in writing. I'll keep ya posted on my communications.

danemayer

This diagram is from an RVIA manual. RVIA shows that it's ok to drain gray water into a black tank. The reverse would not be ok.

RVIA typical plumbing diagram.jpg

idcuda

Hi all! We picked up our Lithium 2414 a little over a week ago and have now been camping for a few days. This is our second toy hauler and we were very surprised to see the black tank full after only a day and a half. After a little investigation, it appears we have the same plumbing issue. We've already spoken with the service depth. about a separate issue, the ramp door bars, and will be taking it in for service next week. Please give an update on how they solved your plumbing issue. Otherwise, it's a great camper!

Bummer! I agree, it's been a great trailer so far, aside from the black tank. I don't use my shower much, so the gray tank isn't getting much use with this configuration.

I really think the dealer and Heartland need to hash this out, since they created and sold such an oddball design without disclosing it. As a buyer, the assumption is that the trailer plumbing is designed to a common standard. This is far from standard. So much so, that the dealer AND Heartland's online service rep were surprised when I pointed it out.

- - - Updated - - -

This diagram is from an RVIA manual. RVIA shows that it's ok to drain gray water into a black tank. The reverse would not be ok.

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info. I would not have said a word if the lavatory sink drained into my black tank - no problem there, and I think that's pretty common. Kitchen sink draining into the black, not so much.

pjones1969

Good advice, everything is tracked in their system by VIN so they can tell you real quick if the dealer has contacted them. We had a missing screen after we took delivery, called dealer, took measurements and pictures, followed up, dealer said it was “in the mail”, 2 weeks of that and I called HL direct, there had been no contact from the dealer, I asked HL if I could send them the info, did that while we were on the phone, they sent it right out and I had it in 3 days. Had a paint issue, straight to HL again, taken care of with a few photos and emails.

I imagine re-plumbing a trailer is a big undertaking, I wouldn’t be surprised if it had to be taken back to the factory service center.

We had our appointment with the service departmet. After taking several panels off to view the plumbing, they confirmed that it is by design that the kitchen sink and toilet drain into the same tank. There also does not appear to be an easy way to re-plumb the sink to go into the gray tank. They were shocked and understood our issue. They also said they are unaware of any other camper plumbed in this manner. I was told they will send a request to Heartland to see if they would authorize a re-plumb. I was also advised to contact Heartland myself. So I did. I explained my issue and extreme disappointment. He was shocked, but looked at their plumbing diagram and also confirmed that this is by design. He asked that I send him an email detailing our story. I did that two days ago. Nothing yet.

If they believe plumbing the kitchen sink to drain with the toilet is the best way for them to go, that's fine. They should absolutely inform the potential buyers though. None of their brochures, none of the online reviews, neither the salesman or the employee who walked us through when we picked it up said anything or in any way indicated that the Lithium is plumbed differently than, as far as I know, any other camper out there. We'll see what happens. Hopefully they make an effort to make things right.

kianbeals

It sounds like factory plumbing problems are common with the Lithium 2414. My 2414 is draining the toilet and all sinks into the gray tank, only the tub fills the black tank according to the tank gauges and sewer drains. Guess I'll call Heartland and get ahead of this problem.

idcuda

It sounds like factory plumbing problems are common with the Lithium 2414. My 2414 is draining the toilet and all sinks into the gray tank, only the tub fills the black tank according to the tank gauges and sewer drains. Guess I'll call Heartland and get ahead of this problem.

That's exactly the problem we're having. Good luck getting ahead - they went from being extremely responsive to crickets once they realized their plumbing screw up. The customer service rep accidentally replied to his boss with me on copy the other day. They're trying to figure out what to tell me. Oh boy.

kianbeals

Any 2414 owners out there? Love the overall setup so far and the build seems solid. One (major) issue we've found is that everything except for the shower is draining directly to the black tank. This is obviously unacceptable for a trailer with 105 gallons of fresh water capacity and a 40 gallon black tank. I'm taking the trailer in on Tuesday for inspection by the dealer, so we'll see where it goes.

Heartland's email support was very quick to respond and very helpful. They acknowledged this was an error and sent the plumbing diagram to help. This allowed me to go to the dealer with evidence of an issue.

Will you please share the plumbing diagram that they sent you?

cashmore

Wow that seems a bit crazy having the kitchen drain to the black tank. I can totally understand the bathroom sink draining into the black to add extra water and it's probably loads easier to plumb but the kitchen....

Please let us know if you get this resolved with Heartland, i'd be curious as to the outcome.

idcuda

Will you please share the plumbing diagram that they sent you?

Sorry about the delay - I'm not getting notifications for the thread. The diagram they sent was very early on in the conversation, and it ended up being the wrong diagram. It was a diagram showing how every normal, standard RV would, and should, be plumbed - the kitchen draining to the gray tank (see danemeyer's post above - it looks very similar). They came back later and said that the design was different for the 2414, so the only thing going to the gray tank was the shower. Everything else drains to the black.

Is your comment above backwards? "My 2414 is draining the toilet and all sinks into the gray tank, only the tub fills the black tank according to the tank gauges and sewer drains". Did you mean the tub is the only thing going to the gray tank?

Niskibum

Hi all, I just got on this forum and am scheduled to pick up my new 2414 in a couple weeks. I wanted to see if this issue has been resolved or if you are just living with the problem. It could be a deal breaker for me going from 2 40 gallon tanks to essentially 1 tank. I'm not sure of the manufacture date of mine, or if they changed the plumbing in newer models.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi all, I just got on this forum and am scheduled to pick up my new 2414 in a couple weeks. I wanted to see if this issue has been resolved or if you are just living with the problem. It could be a deal breaker for me going from 2 40 gallon tanks to essentially 1 tank. I'm not sure of the manufacture date of mine, or if they changed the plumbing in newer models.

You should be able to get your VIN from the dealer. Then call Heartland Customer Support and ask about your configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk