Water Leak - Pump and Strainer question

parallon

Hello all. I am the new owner of a 2009 North Trail 21FSB. This is my first RV of any sort. I was trying to sanitize my freshwater tank, and upon turning on the pump, i noticed that it never shut off. I then noticed that I had sprung a leak under the oven. I pulled the cover off, and realized I found my water pump :), along with, what I assume is the winterizing kit to add antifreeze to the system. :) So, I turned the the pump back on to discover water spraying out of the plastic bowl of the water strainer, which had a severe crack in it. I have one on order, although, from what I can tell, it is on the wrong side of the pump. The label on top says Vacuum Side Only. Can someone verify whether it is in the proper location? In the attached photo, the bowl is not attached, but the remainder of it is on the left side of the photo. The pump model number is 2088-422-144, in case you need it for reference. Would this being on the wrong side possibly cause such a crack? Also, I noticed that there was quite a bit of water that came out of the fresh water drain before I started, so I am hoping that nothing else froze. I am in Albuquerque, NM, so winters aren't too extreme here. I know Pex is good, but fingers crossed. :)

The good out of all of this is that I am learning my system, and my floor is sanitized. :) On that note, is it safe to assume that the only thing below the floor is piping and duct work? Are there any mechanical or electrical items under there? My underside is heated, so it is covered.

RV Pump.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Partsbob

Parallon, I see there haven’t been any replies to your questions, so I thought I would throw my experience in here to see if you still need answers. Our 2019 27RBDS had an issue after de-winterizing where the pump ran constantly, but didn’t supply any water. I assumed the pump diaphragm had cracked, so, even thought the unit was still under warranty, I ordered a new pump (same model ShurFlow) from Amazon to save a trip to my dealer 2 hours away, expecting I could get a replacement pump under warranty at the next trip. Besides, it’s great to have a spare pump handy in case of trouble while boondocking!
As expected, the new pump fixed the problem and we didn’t have to tote the camper anywhere, however, the next trip to the dealer proved that the old pump worked properly and that, apparently, one of the pipe connections at the pump on the inlet side was pulling air instead of water from the tank. So, after spending $85 for the new pump, I have my spare and I am now familiar with the pump and water lines in our kitchen island, allowing me to recently install a dual-stage water filter system that we’ve thrilled to have.
All that to say in answer to your questions, the inlet of my pump is opposite of yours, with the clear trap before the pump to catch any debris in the water before the diaphragm, though the pump should have INLET clearly marked on the housing. However, since every model is plumbed differently, maybe your inlet is opposite of mine, since I can’t imagine the factory would have you pumping water back into your tank! The easy way to confirm, though I’m sure you know by now, is to make sure your Winterization inlet hose has suction on it with the valve open and the pump running. I hope this helps in some way.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mike I'm not sure how this tread never got answered back when you posted.. You probably already have it all figured out by now. Yes the strainer should be on the suction side before the pump, this is to keep stuff from entering the pump and check valve inside.

Jerrod

parallon

Mike I'm not sure how this tread never got answered back when you posted.. You probably already have it all figured out by now. Yes the strainer should be on the suction side before the pump, this is to keep stuff from entering the pump and check valve inside.

Jerrod

Hi Jerrod. Sorry for the delayed response. Yep, I got it all figured out. I sure hope this wasn't a dealer that put this in backwards. :)

Thank you for your reply though. :)

BTW, you have a nice rig there...

Mike