New tow rig

Chrisandsama

Well it has finally come time to retire my 2007 Cummins and move up just a little. I traded it in Thursday for a new to me 2012 Ford F350 Dually. I could fix/upgrade anything on the Cummins engine and transmission but I have no knowledge when it comes to the powerstroke. I do know the 6.7 is pretty reliable and the one I purchased is very clean with only 96xxx miles on it. I guess I need to hit the powerstroke forums and see where the weak spots are on this engine. If any of you guys have any advice as far as upkeep and maintenance I am all ears. I do know that the ride is way better than the dodge was.

rhodies1

Well it has finally come time to retire my 2007 Cummins and move up just a little. I traded it in Thursday for a new to me 2012 Ford F350 Dually. I could fix/upgrade anything on the Cummins engine and transmission but I have no knowledge when it comes to the powerstroke. I do know the 6.7 is pretty reliable and the one I purchased is very clean with only 96xxx miles on it. I guess I need to hit the powerstroke forums and see where the weak spots are on this engine. If any of you guys have any advice as far as upkeep and maintenance I am all ears. I do know that the ride is way better than the dodge was.

One thing I would consider doing is changing the Antifreeze,,,your truck has 2 systems, main rad and aux rad..both drain from the front..
Ford strongly recommends it being changed at your mileage limit..also you will get notices on the screen at every 18 k miles to check it’s strength.
Ford sells a testing kit for this application.

Flick

You will enjoy the Ford truck and with a little TLC, it will continue to give you years of good and reliable service. As you must have done with your prior truck, changing oil and fuel filters at regular intervals increases reliability. I would recommend checking all your hoses, belts and of course, batteries. Changing transmission fluid and filter and replacing rear axle oil is advisable. Pulling the plug to drain will allow checking for shavings.
You are probably like me in that you do most repairs yourself, but I highly recommend if you don’t have a good independent shop that you trust, you should find one and keep them on standby. That truck has sensors everywhere. With all the electronics and how they’ve packed that 6.7 in there, things are difficult to diagnose and access.
Enjoy your new ride. That particular year model was and is a good choice.

Chrisandsama

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the tips. I did all work on my Cummins, injectors, turbo etc. But one could climb into the engine bay with it lol. When it comes to removing the cab for repairs of that nature I think I may tap out.

NYSUPstater

Wouldn't hurt to add some Hot Shot Secret to engine oil when you change it to clean out the injectors. After that, use HSS LX4 to aid w/ lubing the injection pump. Plus add either HSS (forgot exact name of this additive at the moment) to trans oil to reduce friction or MotorKote. Add MK to differentials and transfer case if 4x4 to reduce friction too. Both products work.

Chrisandsama

Wouldn't hurt to add some Hot Shot Secret to ending oil when you change it to clean out the injectors. After that, use HSS LX4 to aid w/ lubing the injection pump. Plus add either HSS (forgot exact name of this additive at the moment) to trans oil to reduce friction or MotorKote. Add MK to differentials and transfer case if 4x4 to reduce friction too. Both products work.
Thanks, I have been told the fuel system on these need extra lubrication.

travlingman

I would be very careful about the additives you use. Avoid any that have alcohol as they will mess with the fuel pump. On lubricity additives, make sure they seperate the water from fuel and are not a emulsifier which will allow water into your fuel system, again bad for the fuel pump. I have ran the Ford additive, PM-22A on my 2012 and my 2017.

Chrisandsama

I would be very careful about the additives you use. Avoid any that have alcohol as they will mess with the fuel pump. On lubricity additives, make sure they seperate the water from fuel and are not a emulsifier which will allow water into your fuel system, again bad for the fuel pump. I have ran the Ford additive, PM-22A on my 2012 and my 2017.

Good to know, where do you buy that additive? Amazon?

Fordguru

Wouldn't hurt to add some Hot Shot Secret to engine oil when you change it to clean out the injectors. After that, use HSS LX4 to aid w/ lubing the injection pump. Plus add either HSS (forgot exact name of this additive at the moment) to trans oil to reduce friction or MotorKote. Add MK to differentials and transfer case if 4x4 to reduce friction too. Both products work.

6.7 are not oil actuated injectors so the hot shot wouldn’t help the fuel system in this truck when added to oil like the 6.0

travlingman

Good to know, where do you buy that additive? Amazon?

PM-22A is a Ford additive and sold at Ford dealers. They also have PM-23A which is for winter to help with gelling.

I would also drain the water seperator. It is located on the drivers side under the bed in front of the rear wheel. You will see a little knob to turn. Drain about 6-8 ounces into a clear jar/bottle and you can see if you have any water.

I would also have the dealer run an Oasis report and he can tell you when the last time it had the fuel filters changed and if it is time for that.

Chrisandsama

PM-22A is a Ford additive and sold at Ford dealers. They also have PM-23A which is for winter to help with gelling.

I would also drain the water seperator. It is located on the drivers side under the bed in front of the rear wheel. You will see a little knob to turn. Drain about 6-8 ounces into a clear jar/bottle and you can see if you have any water.

I would also have the dealer run an Oasis report and he can tell you when the last time it had the fuel filters changed and if it is time for that.

I have filters coming, didn't want to worry about when they were changed last.