110v fixture on 12v wiring??

pnnf

Hello everyone,

Im wanting to upgrade the wall sconces in my 2007 Grand Canyon. I really dont like whats offered for 12 volt. I found regular residential sconces that i like but ,of course, they are for 110 service. The sconces I pick out have an E26 base and I found 12 volt led bulbs that have an E26 base. There shouldn't be much of a difference outside of the bulb that I use,correct? Will the wiring in the fixture be able to deal with 12v (amps?). In my very limited knowledge im thinking the residential fixture is just a delivery system to the 12v led bulb. I just want to make sure I dont melt the wires and burn down the rig.

Thanks for any help,
safe travels~

Flick

Hello everyone,

Im wanting to upgrade the wall sconces in my 2007 Grand Canyon. I really dont like whats offered for 12 volt. I found regular residential sconces that i like but ,of course, they are for 110 service. The sconces I pick out have an E26 base and I found 12 volt led bulbs that have an E26 base. There shouldn't be much of a difference outside of the bulb that I use,correct? Will the wiring in the fixture be able to deal with 12v (amps?). In my very limited knowledge im thinking the residential fixture is just a delivery system to the 12v led bulb. I just want to make sure I dont melt the wires and burn down the rig.

Thanks for any help,
safe travels~

Although I personally have never done this, I think that what you are suggesting in reality would work. The
negative in doing this of course is the wiring in the fixture. 12v fixtures can carry much more current than 120v fixtures so the possibility of overloading the wiring exists. On the other hand, if you use led bulbs, the overloading possibility is much reduced. Once again, on the other hand, if someone else doesn’t know the changeover and installs a higher voltage 12v bulb not led, it could overload the wiring.
Maybe someone has personal experience with this and will give you their insight.

pnnf

Although I personally have never done this, I think that what you are suggesting in reality would work. The
negative in doing this of course is the wiring in the fixture. 12v fixtures can carry much more current than 120v fixtures so the possibility of overloading the wiring exists. On the other hand, if you use led bulbs, the overloading possibility is much reduced. Once again, on the other hand, if someone else doesn’t know the changeover and installs a higher voltage 12v bulb not led, it could overload the wiring.
Maybe someone has personal experience with this and will give you their insight.

Thank you very much for the reply. I have also thought of resale and would absolutely make the point of mentioning the changeover and would also attach a label stating the change on the fixtures, if I ever got rid of the rig. I too hope someone with more knowledge will help and reply.

thank you again,
Safe travels~

Gaffer

Your 12 volt lighting circuit is fused to protect the wire. If your new fixtures lamps are about the same as your OEM ones wattage wise, you are good to go.

pnnf

Your 12 volt lighting circuit is fused to protect the wire. If your new fixtures lamps are about the same as your OEM ones wattage wise, you are good to go.

Thank you very much for the help. I did a quick look and the 1076 bulb in the current rv fixture is 23 watts (12v) and the new E26 base LED bulb is 7 watts (12v). I didnt even think about the fuse smh but if the new bulbs draw less than a third Im thinking ill be ok as well.

Heres the description on Amazon:
[h=1]12V Low Voltage LED Light Bulbs - Daylight 7W E26 Standard Base 60W Equivalent[/h]

Thanks again for the help,
stay safe~

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I removed the cheap taillight bulb wall sconces and replaced them with household fixtures and 12v Edison style bulbs

9decc8f86f88df700c1f6e957e6a021d.jpg

b70eda755a68116be04e618bbe22e7f6.jpg

f472eec1f7b9b1a8810ebf1a201e11b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pnnf

I removed the cheap taillight bulb wall sconces and replaced them with household fixtures and 12v Edison style bulbs

9decc8f86f88df700c1f6e957e6a021d.jpg

b70eda755a68116be04e618bbe22e7f6.jpg

f472eec1f7b9b1a8810ebf1a201e11b1.jpg

Very nice! Thank you so much for this. I liked what you picked out it goes together well. Its such an easy upgrade. I so cant wait to do mine.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Very nice! Thank you so much for this. I liked what you picked out it goes together well. Its such an easy upgrade. I so cant wait to do mine.

Easy peasy. Black wire on fixture to positive 12v lead. White to the other. IGNORE the fixture’s ground wire

mlpeloquin

If you plan to keep your rig for several years, do not worry about the resale. Make it yours and enjoy. If it looks good, all the better later. You can keep the original fixtures for the future new owner!

pnnf

If you plan to keep your rig for several years, do not worry about the resale. Make it yours and enjoy. If it looks good, all the better later. You can keep the original fixtures for the future new owner!

Very true. We were just talking about getting a tote and packing the originals away...just in case :)

Thank you~