Truck Topper

HD2017

Greetings All. I couldn't find this topic on any of the forums, so this looked like the logical place to start. I'll try to keep this short. I run a RAM with a 6.4 pulling a 36' toy hauler averaging 6 to 8 MPG. I had the opportunity to visit with a transporter running a 1 Ton RAM with a Cummings. The topic of fuel mileage came up, and he stated even with the diesel he didn't get but 8 to 10 MPG pulling Travel Trailer Toy Haulers like mine. It occurred to me that a truck topper might improve the aerodynamics of my set up. So my question is; who pulls a TT Toy Hauler with a Truck Topper, and have you calculated your average mileage with and without it? Thanks All.

Fox

Just off the top of my head I believe that a topper wouldn't make any noticeable difference in observed MPG; and it'd add cargo weight - which may present its own problems.

Lastly, assuming it did add MPG - how many miles would you need to drive to offset its cost?

Get one if you need / want one, otherwise I'd suggest you pass.

Flick

Greetings All. I couldn't find this topic on any of the forums, so this looked like the logical place to start. I'll try to keep this short. I run a RAM with a 6.4 pulling a 36' toy hauler averaging 6 to 8 MPG. I had the opportunity to visit with a transporter running a 1 Ton RAM with a Cummings. The topic of fuel mileage came up, and he stated even with the diesel he didn't get but 8 to 10 MPG pulling Travel Trailer Toy Haulers like mine. It occurred to me that a truck topper might improve the aerodynamics of my set up. So my question is; who pulls a TT Toy Hauler with a Truck Topper, and have you calculated your average mileage with and without it? Thanks All.

Greetings back to you HD2017. Probably wise to listen to the Fox. The mpg in your gasser and all of our diesels are going to be close to what was said. Some may get better or worse fuel economy with different circumstances involved.
I believe that we can all be proud that we are doing our part to use up that abundance of oil reserves so our friends in the oil business can go back to work.

danemayer

When I was first shopping tow vehicles, the salesman at the Ford dealer showed me everything he had, including a gasser. He said he wouldn't sell it to me to tow a large RV even though it could tow it. He explained it could pass anything on the road except a gas station.

Gassers develop max horsepower at high RPM. Bad on the engine and bad on gas mileage.

Gary521

A few years ago, a couple things were tried in an attempt to improve fuel mileage. One was a wing mounted on the cab and the other was the vented tail gate. Neither of these worked to significantly improve fuel mileage. This falls in the same category.