2015 Duramax dually

carl.swoyer

So this past Saturday I put my fifth wheel at a Marina for a month. Then my Brink's home security system went wacko so today I came back to the house to deal with it.
Now I'm heading back to the marina the check engine light is on? Advance auto said there no longer authorized to perform scans.
Then on the way to the dealership info center say 175 miles to go before 65mph. Arrrgg .
It appears to be DEF related.
Now I'm waiting for the dealership to diagnose it.
They also said that I have a "special warranty" pertaining to the def tank.
Dane Mayer didn't you have a similar issue!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
5ff2c5267e67d5f54229a278a8a89da7.jpg

Ducky

I had the same issue a few months back on my 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, just before leaving for 2 week campout. I added 3.5 gal to the DEF Tank and usually it will clear and say "OK" after 15-20 miles of driving. This time I had driven over 150 miles and still had not cleared. Contacted my Chevy Service rep who spoke with technician and said it would be ok, it is an emission issue and it will clear, as there is nothing they can do to clear error msg. Drove another 400 miles and as we are driving home from campout, I got the message that speed will be reduced in 999 miles. Finally got it in to the dealer and apparently it was stuck in the regeneration mode and the technician was able to clear that, and now DIC (Drivers Information Center) says OK. No issues since (hopefully).

carl.swoyer

I had the same issue a few months back on my 2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, just before leaving for 2 week campout. I added 3.5 gal to the DEF Tank and usually it will clear and say "OK" after 15-20 miles of driving. This time I had driven over 150 miles and still had not cleared. Contacted my Chevy Service rep who spoke with technician and said it would be ok, it is an emission issue and it will clear, as there is nothing they can do to clear error msg. Drove another 400 miles and as we are driving home from campout, I got the message that speed will be reduced in 999 miles. Finally got it in to the dealer and apparently it was stuck in the regeneration mode and the technician was able to clear that, and now DIC (Drivers Information Center) says OK. No issues since (hopefully).
Thanks hopefully that going to be my situation.
I haven't added Def in a long time. Hopefully just stale def

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought an OBD II reader from BlueDriver that connects to my iPhone. About $100. If you have OnStar, you can also contact them from the vehicle and they can tell you what code is setting off the Check Engine light.

Ducky

Scroll thru the Drivers Information Center until you see the DEF screen. Probably says it needs some, that's when you get the msg that speed will be reduced in ?? miles. I usually have to add DEF every 3000-4000 miles. Once you add DEF and drive a few miles it should clear and off to your next destination. Safe Travels

carl.swoyer

I bought an OBD II reader from BlueDriver that connects to my iPhone. About $100. If you have OnStar, you can also contact them from the vehicle and they can tell you what code is setting off the Check Engine light.
John
How in-depth is the OBD reader?

carl.swoyer

Scroll thru the Drivers Information Center until you see the DEF screen. Probably says it needs some, that's when you get the msg that speed will be reduced in ?? miles. I usually have to add DEF every 3000-4000 miles. Once you add DEF and drive a few miles it should clear and off to your next destination. Safe Travels
I normally get a notification that I need to add def and I haven't received that particular notice. So I'm wondering if I have a bad sensor

danemayer

So this past Saturday I put my fifth wheel at a Marina for a month. Then my Brink's home security system went wacko so today I came back to the house to deal with it.
Now I'm heading back to the marina the check engine light is on? Advance auto said there no longer authorized to perform scans.
Then on the way to the dealership info center say 175 miles to go before 65mph. Arrrgg .

Our 2011 GMC had a number of DEF problems - always with the sensors or the programming.

The really ugly one is the Reductant Tank Temperature error. That sensor is built into the tank and can't be replaced separately (at least not on a 2011 - don't know about later years). The cost of that tank is over $1K if I remember correctly. However, it's covered by the Federal Emissions Warranty which is in addition to the standard Warranty. Like 7 years/70,000 miles or longer. And of course, if you aren't aware of the Emissions warranty, the dealer/repair shop may or may not volunteer that info.

When the Reductant Tank Temperature error occurred (P205C?), after a while the DIC started providing erratic messages on remaining mileage. And yes, when you get near the end of the mileage, speed is capped at 65. If you keep going, it goes into limp mode at 4 mph. I've also had a bad DEF quality sensor, and some programming problems related to cold weather.

The 2014 RAM has thrown a few DEF errors intermittently. I usually just clear them and they go away for a long time.

OBD readers are not very expensive. I carry one in the truck and another in the car. On DEF codes, sometimes you can clear them. Sometimes not. If you clear a code, just keep in mind that the servicer relies on the codes for diagnostics.

Ducky

Chevy dealer told me no sensors, only to find out there are 3. Quite possible there is a sensor issue

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
John
How in-depth is the OBD reader?

Carl,
It seems to be pretty good at providing information on the codes. At least knowing the problem code when you go in for service tells them you know the problem and won’t get bamboozled paying for “extras.”

You can leave it plugged in and have a running display of other operating parameters displayed on your phone or iPad as you drive.

Last time my Check Engine light came on, it told me it was the #7 Glow Plug. It was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

Carl,
It seems to be pretty good at providing information on the codes. At least knowing the problem code when you go in for service tells them you know the problem and won’t get bamboozled paying for “extras.”

You can leave it plugged in and have a running display of other operating parameters displayed on your phone or iPad as you drive.

Last time my Check Engine light came on, it told me it was the #7 Glow Plug. It was right.

I think I’m going to go back to school to get my Doctorate degree so I can diagnose my own truck. But by the time I graduate, I’ll be to old to drive. Hmmm.

danemayer

Once you get the code from the reader, you just do a search on the internet to translate the code into english. You'll also pull up pages showing the most common fixes.

carl.swoyer

Carl,

Thanks John,
I'm probably going to order it as I thought about it for quite some time

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

5ff2c5267e67d5f54229a278a8a89da7.jpg

We had a similar experience with our 2013, I think they replaced the def tank under some extended warranty from GM.

Joe G

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired

I had to replace my DEF tank twice.
The first time I got the bad quality DEF error. I filled with fresh DEF because the manual said it might clear the error, it didn’t. So I took my truck in and found the problem to be a shorted heater in the DEF tank. The DIC said the truck would slow to 65 mph in X number of miles. The truck slowed down to 55 before I could get is repaired.
The second time was a Reductant Tank Temperature error code P205C. Took the truck in and found out it was a faulty sensor made in the DEF tank.
The only good thing is both repairs were covered under warranty. My truck is a 2015.

Piperflyer

I had the dealer replace my heater element in my DEF Tank after it went bad after 71000 miles. The Check Engine light came on and the DEF Tank was down on DEF some, but not enough to hurt anything. I took it right into the dealer. I was told by the dealer that the truck would start it's shutdown mode if the DEF Heater wasn't replaced.

dewwood

I had a similar problem with my 2013 a couple of years ago. We stopped at a huge dealer in Rock Springs, WY and they were very helpful. They reset the code and told me to continue on our journey to Oregon. The tech suggested buying a code reader ($40 -$50) so I could reset the code myself. As suggested earlier a search on google will tell you what the code means and possible solutions. Most times it is nor serious but there can be that time when you need an immediate fix to your problem.

carl.swoyer

Emissions update
Spoke with the dealership this morning.
The issue is....
DEF resivoure is bad.
Good New is there's a special warranty that covers it. It's good until 8-21-2024
Or 120,000 miles.
My truck has 79,800 miles and it.
I'll end up paying 0$ Dollars.
Great New for me
I suppose if it's a continuing problem
I'll sell it while there's still warranty on it.

LBR

One thing I have learned from 2 of our friends is not let the DEF level fall too low in the tank. As DEF is highly corrosive, they had let their levels fall to the point of getting the dash message to "ADD". When they did, the DEF level sensor did not register any was added, and they still had that message.

The cure was to use an appropriate "tool" to thump on the tank to free the corroded sensor. Worked for both of them with their Fords. I keep ours above 1/2 full, just because of their experiences......seems logical to me.

Oldelevatorman

On my 2015 F350 I started getting check engine lights. This was at about 95k miles. Took it to the local diesel shop, they said the filter needs cleaned, go to Ford. Ford said we don’t clean them you need to replace it. How much? $3500. I went to a shop that cleans them and they charged $900. They remove it, bake it and reinstall it. Got it back and the next day the light came back on, sh—! Took it back, the owner of the shop looked at it. I’m sorry, my tech didn’t notice the soot in the tailpipe, it can’t be cleaned. Gave me my money back and had to go back to Ford. Priced one online for half of Fords price. Not CARB compliant in CA, of course. $3500 for the DP filter and $150 to install. I was out of the emissions warranty too!
107k on the truck, running like a champ!