Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removing and Replacing Exterior Steps

1. Print this Post   #1

Removing and Replacing Exterior Steps

I just purchased new steps for my 2017 CY 3600 JS, front and back doors. The new step systems are Lippert Alumi-treads, quad. I've done no investigation as to how to remove the existing all steel step systems yet, so I'm reaching out to see if anyone has done it and what perils I'm about to enter into. It appears I need to remove the plastic cover around the steps to expose the side through bolts????

I'm being a bit lazy by asking for some instructional assistance right off the bat, as I usually Rambo the process making a bunch boneheaded mistakes.

Thank you,
    Brad

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Removing and Replacing Exterior Steps

I replaced the front steps on our Cyclone 4005 and it wasn't very hard. Yes, you have to remove the plastic trim around the steps first. And because the original steps were quite heavy, I used a floor jack with a block of wood on top under the steps to stabilize them while we removed the bolts so the whole thing wouldn't come crashing down! There are only 4 bolts holding the stairs, but at least on ours it was a bit of a tight fit to get my hand and a wrench in there to get the bolts loose. But I just took my time and it worked out fine. A second pair of hands really helped.
    John Marnell and Christina Cox
    Member #3921
    2018 Cyclone 4005
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat DRW

3. Print this Post   #3

What He Said Up There.jpg

Not hard just get some support for the original heavy steps. Did ours all by myself.
    Marc & Carol with Luci & Abby the Boston Terriers

2013 GMC Denali Crew Cab with XTREME Bed Liner
    Air Lift System with remote

2014 Chapter Rally, Jackson, CA -------- 2017 Regional Rally, Canyonville, OR
    2014 Regional Rally, Sparks, NV - 2014 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA
    2015 National Rally, Goshen, IN
    - 2016 National Rally, Las Vegas, NV
    2016 Chapter Rally, Jackson, CA - 2016 Chapter Rally, Temecula, CA
    2019 Chapter Rally Jackson, CA - Chapter Rally Los Vegas, NV & Paso Robles, CA

4. Print this Post   #4

We just purchased our travel trailer and the stairs have been upgraded. The previous owner covered the location of the old stairs with a piece of trim that matches the rest of the lower trim so there isnít a giant hole on the side.

5. Print this Post   #5

Project Replace Steps Update.

First, a big thank you for those sharing their step replacing experiences with me.

All I wanted to do is replace the original steel step systems with aluminum steps, both the fold up and stow away types. Turns out Heartland and I guess the steel fold away step systems are a stock width and the newer aluminum fold away steps are a touch wider. In order to make the aluminum ones work, I'd need to cut the welded steel step support tabs Heartland used and move them out about 1" to 2".....I can't recall at this writing the actual width difference.........so.......I abandoned the idea, reinstalled the steel ones, and returned the aluminum ones.

Oh well, I needed the practice, ha. Now the rest of the story: My wife went ahead and purchased the aluminum steps after me telling her I needed to make some measurements and do a bit of study first. So, it's totally her fault, ha. I'll throw her under the bus, but I dragged my sweet rear end too long so she forced me to do something....I always say why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

Thanks people, the Heartland forum is boss.

6. Print this Post   #6

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime802 View Post
    Project Replace Steps Update.

First, a big thank you for those sharing their step replacing experiences with me.

All I wanted to do is replace the original steel step systems with aluminum steps, both the fold up and stow away types. Turns out Heartland and I guess the steel fold away step systems are a stock width and the newer aluminum fold away steps are a touch wider. In order to make the aluminum ones work, I'd need to cut the welded steel step support tabs Heartland used and move them out about 1" to 2".....I can't recall at this writing the actual width difference.........so.......I abandoned the idea, reinstalled the steel ones, and returned the aluminum ones.

Oh well, I needed the practice, ha. Now the rest of the story: My wife went ahead and purchased the aluminum steps after me telling her I needed to make some measurements and do a bit of study first. So, it's totally her fault, ha. I'll throw her under the bus, but I dragged my sweet rear end too long so she forced me to do something....I always say why do today what you can put off till tomorrow.

Thanks people, the Heartland forum is boss.

Torklift International make Aluminum Fold away steps in a smaller width...they come in 25.5 in wide. If your opening is wider than this,they supply a shim kit.These are the best steps you will ever own.
    Give them a call, great company with great customer service.

7. Print this Post   #7

I agree with post #6.
    I installed them on my last coach, them removed and reinstalled on our new coach.
    You can add or subtract steps to your coach, I added 1, so we now have 5 steps instead of the original 4.
    I believe they also have a 2 and 3 step model.
    They come in 2 widths, I believe 27.5ď & 25.5ď.
    Super easy to install & fold into your existing opening.
    These are made of Aircraft Grade Aluminum, the steps and all supporting brackets.
    Give them a call, very good company to deal with.
    They also make a shoe brush that slides over bottom step bracket to clean your shoes.
    I have one of those, makes for a cleaner coach.

Hockster
    HOC: #1621
    2019 Bighorn 3760EL, 2011 Ford F-350 Diesel DRW Crew Cab Long Box FX/4,
    Last Coach 2011 Big Country 3450TS.

2010 Michigan Rally-Ludington, MI., 2011 National Rally-Goshen, IN., 2011 Michigan Rally-Suttons Bay, MI., 2012 Michigan Rally-Hopkins, MI., 2013 National Rally-Goshen, IN., 2014 National Rally-Urbanna, VA., 2016 Michigan Rally-Marshall, MI., 2017 National Rally-Goshen, IN. 2018 North Central Regional Rally-Ludington, Michigan. 2018 Michigan Rally-Empire, Michigan. 2019 National Rally-Goshen, IN. 2019 Wisconsin Rally-Lake Delton, Wisconsin, 2019 Michigan Rally-Jenison, Michigan, 2019 Indiana Rally-Elkhart, Indiana

Retired Heavy Industrial Journeyman Electrician.
    U.S. Army Southeast Asia Veteran 1966
    Marlene & Gary Hock
    Yellow Lab, Molly
    Winters spent in Foley, Alabama at Anchors Aweigh RV Resort.
    We live the rest of the year in Port Huron, Michigan.

8. Print this Post   #8

Quote Originally Posted by jmarnell View Post
    I replaced the front steps on our Cyclone 4005 and it wasn't very hard. Yes, you have to remove the plastic trim around the steps first. And because the original steps were quite heavy, I used a floor jack with a block of wood on top under the steps to stabilize them while we removed the bolts so the whole thing wouldn't come crashing down! There are only 4 bolts holding the stairs, but at least on ours it was a bit of a tight fit to get my hand and a wrench in there to get the bolts loose. But I just took my time and it worked out fine. A second pair of hands really helped.
    Thank you for your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhodies1 View Post
    Torklift International make Aluminum Fold away steps in a smaller width...they come in 25.5 in wide. If your opening is wider than this,they supply a shim kit.These are the best steps you will ever own.
    Give them a call, great company with great customer service.
    Looking into the Torklift steps now. My wife wants the fold down steps like they're installing in most all new trailers, but i can't use them as the guy that parks next to me in the storage shed is too close to let the steps down.

9. Print this Post   #9

The Torklift steps are what I put on our Cyclone. Excellent upgrade, and I don't think you would regret putting them on. Easy to use and very stable. I added the 5th step too as others have done, which makes for a shorter step up on the first step. The dogs really like them too!
    20200531_133710.jpg
    John Marnell and Christina Cox
    Member #3921
    2018 Cyclone 4005
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat DRW

10. Print this Post   #10

Just purchased lippert solid step 30" quad, waiting for delivery. when we were researching the steps there was supposed to be an installation video at lipperts website. I believe it was lci1.com/support. hope this helps and will know in a few days when they arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast