tire pressure

roy2

i wondering about my tire pressure i have a 2019 bighorn tire pressure is 110 we was traveling a couple days age out side temp was 90 doing 55 or 60 mph i have tire montors on my tires. one of them was reading i think kinda high pressure was 127 and temp was reading 131.all other ones was reading lower.should i be worryed about that tire. thanks for your help.

danemayer

I used to see the same kind of numbers on hot highways in the summer when I had Goodyear G614 tires (Load Range G). The pressure didn't bother me. But the temperature was more concerning. I think I recall seeing somewhere that internal tire damage starts occurring at about 185 (F). There's a lot of margin between a TPMS reading of 131 (F) and 185 (F). But my sensors were TST 507 external sensors. So the internal tire temperature is likely a little higher than the reading, reducing the margin.

If your cold inflation is at 110 PSI on a Load Range G tire like Goodyear G614 or Sailun S637, and your trailer is not overweight, there's not much you can do other than change tires. I moved up to Load Range H Goodyear G114 17.5" tires (and wheels). They run much cooler. I don't think I've seen them go over 120 (F). I set the pressure between 105 and 110 PSI and pressure reading will get up to around 118 or so.

RickL

If you set the tire pressure at the correct pressure cold (meaning the temperature inside the tires air chamber is equal to the ambient temperature) then as long as the tire hasn’t been compromised by a foreign object, any rise in pressure will not be a problem.

As to tire temperatures, most new tires are cured between 340° - 370°. The rubber on the side of the highway most of see is a result of when the inside tire temperature reaches/exceeds the tires curing temp which reverses the vulcanizing process. All that being said, as a tire builds temp, it doesn’t take long for that tire to rise rapidly if the tire has been compromised. So temps approaching 200° should be avoided. If all tires are that high then the speed is too high for the weight being hauled. Usually though it’s just a single tire that goes that high. Which again is an indication that the particular tire may have an air loss, overweighted, or is rubbing on the suspension or trailer.

Kathi-27

could be a sensor. swap sensor to different position with other sensor and see if readings move with sensor. we had a sensor reading like that was a out of calibrate sensor. replaced sensor. all read within 5psi and 7 degrees

Hollandt

i wondering about my tire pressure i have a 2019 bighorn tire pressure is 110 we was traveling a couple days age out side temp was 90 doing 55 or 60 mph i have tire monitors on my tires. one of them was reading i think kinda high pressure was 127 and temp was reading 131.all other ones was reading lower.should i be worried about that tire. thanks for your help.

If only one tire temp is higher than the others and the pressure is similar, it could indicate a brake or bearing problem on that wheel. You need to compare the hub temps by feel or by using a heat gun. I had this issue and a brake shoe had come unbonded on one wheel and was dragging all the time. This was heating the hub and drum significantly. The TPS temp reading saved me by giving me advance warning before hub and bearing overheated enough to boil out the grease.

Tim

donr827

could be a sensor. swap sensor to different position with other sensor and see if readings move with sensor. we had a sensor reading like that was a out of calibrate sensor. replaced sensor. all read within 5psi and 7 degrees

Good first move. Start with the easy things first.

Kathi-27

If only one tire temp is higher than the others and the pressure is similar, it could indicate a brake or bearing problem on that wheel. You need to compare the hub temps by feel or by using a heat gun. I had this issue and a brake shoe had come unbonded on one wheel and was dragging all the time. This was heating the hub and drum significantly. The TPS temp reading saved me by giving me advance warning before hub and bearing overheated enough to boil out the grease.

Tim
i ck hub temp every time we stop better safe than sorry.

roy2

ya when we stoped to streach are legs it was high then i felt the tire it felt the same as the other.will dum *** i didnt even think of switching the sensor then.i will when we leave here.ill be checking the tire pressue to before we leave . thanks

TedS

At tire pressures around 100psi, the estimate is for every 10F tire pressure will change by 2%. 40 degree temp change causes 4 x 2% = 8% pressure change. 110 x 1.08 = 118.8psi. Are sensors reading correctly?