Storing RV in high humidity

Redrider007

Moved from CA to Tennessee and wanted advice on storing rv and concerned with humidity. Should I have it all closed up? It will be outdoors for the next 7 months or so while house and rv garage are built. I will have daily access to RV.

Bobby A

Severl years ago we left a RV stored in Fl., we did not have access on a daily bases like you said. We would just barely crack a few windows and we never had a problem, and we did this for years. One year we decided to buy a RV cover and that was a mistake !! We came back one year and everything the unit was molded, my wife was livid !! So with that said, I would no suggest a cover.

JMHO,
Bobby A

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you have covers on your roof vents, leave the vents open a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome Redrider007 to Tennessee. One quick question - are you storing your camper in a storage facility without power or just having it in a location that might have access to power? We keep our camper beside our house which has a 50 amp service so we run the a/cs during the summer when not in use. In the past, we have also run a dehumidifier but left it in FL this summer in the casita. If you don't have power, try DampRid (can get at Wally world) which you can empty the excess water out of when you visit the camper very few days. The humidity isn't that bad compared to FL but probably more than you are used to from CA.

Oldelevatorman

What Nabo said. Damp Rid or any similar product. We have two humidifiers and used them when we lived in Tennessee but now in AZ the humidity normally is very low. We lived in Crossville and the humidity wasn’t too bad compared to Knoxville or Nashville maybe because we were on the Plateau!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TXgearhead

I've never thought of Tennessee having high humidity. Come down to the Gulf Coast to feel some humidity.
That said, I would leave a overhead vent open a bit. If your side windows crank out from the bottom, leaving one or two of them cracked open would help convect heat out the top.

rclogg

We do both up here in Michigan. Three tubs of Damp-rid and always leave the vents open with vent covers. Allows enough air flow to keep the temps the same inside as it is outside, winters too.

mlpeloquin

I've never thought of Tennessee having high humidity. Come down to the Gulf Coast to feel some humidity.
That said, I would leave a overhead vent open a bit. If your side windows crank out from the bottom, leaving one or two of them cracked open would help convect heat out the top.

I felt humidity in Florida, Michigan, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Indiana, Oklahoma, but nothing like Vicksburg Mississippi in August! I don't think Tennessee can get anywhere near that. In humid conditions storing, I just crack open the roof vents and one window at each end. And I mean just crack the windows and vents. You do not need to expose the screens. Just allow some air to get through and no rain. Used a dowel(s) to keep the windows safe from intruders. Cracking the vents and windows allows the air to go in and out without having the moisture trapped inside the RV. Works for all RV's.d It work well for us.

donr827

I have lived in South Florida most of my life. My trailer was stored outside at a storage facility. I did have covers over the roof vents and left them open just a little. Also I suggest that you leave your refrigerator doors open slightly if not being used.

CoveredWagon

Central FL here. I hang DampRid in the closets, they last about one month, and place a DampRid tub in the each of the sinks. The RV is covered I wash it before it's stored so I like it to stay the way, also helps a lot to protect it from the sun. I also leave the bathroom ceiling vent open.

Gaffer

Get a dehumidifier or two. Place one in the shower and let it drain into your gray tank. Place another on the counter top and let it drain into the kitchen sink. Leave the doors open on the fridge. Leave some windows and vents open.

CoveredWagon

Get a dehumidifier or two. Place one in the shower and let it drain into your gray tank. Place another on the counter top and let it drain into the kitchen sink. Leave the doors open on the fridge. Leave some windows and vents open.

That all,is well and good if you happen to,have power available.