Need to know how to reattach my breakaway cable

I own a 2016 Bighorn 3010re.
While pulling my rig out of my driveway, my breakaway cable snagged on something I had in my truck bed.
I have the cable and attached plunger, but I dont know where or how to reinsert it.
I also don't know how to route the cable so that this does not happen again.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

danemayer

The plastic plunger just gets inserted back into the switch assembly that's mounted on the pinbox. Should be on the streetside.
Break Away Switch.jpg

You might consider getting a 4' replacement cable that has a coiled cord, like this one. They also come in longer lengths.

Now the bad news. The entire time the plunger is out of the switch, battery power has been applied to the brakes on the trailer. This can be very bad. The breakaway switch may have melted internally is it's not meant to carry the current continuously. Your battery is probably depleted and once recharged should be load tested to make sure it survived.

Unfortunately it doesn't stop there. The brake magnets are not designed to be continuously energized. They may have overheated and the brake assemblies need to be inspected. And heat from overheated brake assemblies could even have damaged the bearings. If you didn't tow the trailer in this condition, you might be ok, but you should get them checked.

NYSUPstater

I switched out my cable cord to a coiled cord. No more catching on anything. Added a "carabeaner" clip to end that attaches to hitch, then added an eyebolt to hitch for clip to hook to. Works great.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The pin has to be rotated just right before it will go in the slot. If it doesn't go in easily, turn it a 1/4 turn.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Since we're talking about the breakaway here, it's a good idea for everyone to test their switch periodically.
I tried to pull my breakaway switch key this spring and it would not budge. Almost snapped the cable trying. Lol.
Easy replacement project.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Since we're talking about the breakaway here, it's a good idea for everyone to test their switch periodically.
I tried to pull my breakaway switch key this spring and it would not budge. Almost snapped the cable trying. Lol.
Easy replacement project.

Peace
Dave

Testing is important. Last year after replacing brake pads, the tech pulled the plunger out to check the brakes. Nothing happened. The switch had gone bad. I may have been towing in a dangerous condition for years. Easy replacement.

SNOKING

Unplug your 7 pin cable before pulling it, as they warn that it can have negative effects on the brake controller.

Also if it is out very long it will drain the trailers battery(ies). Chris

All,

Thanks for all the responses.
Great information!
Good news. After some quick, on the spot research from my wife. I disconnected the power to the to disengage the brakes so I could move the trailer back to my house.
I hadn't gone very far and wasn't moving when the plug was pulled.
In the morning I was able to reinsert the plug, reattach the power, pull the plug, and successfully test the break away switch. All is good.
We are definitely going to swap out the cable for the coiled cable.
Too many opportunities for the standard cable to snag in the bed.

Gary

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I own a 2016 Bighorn 3010re.
While pulling my rig out of my driveway, my breakaway cable snagged on something I had in my truck bed.
I have the cable and attached plunger, but I dont know where or how to reinsert it.
I also don't know how to route the cable so that this does not happen again.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

This is my 6' coiled cord. They make 4' & 6' cords. I use a self adhesive quarter sized magnet to keep it in place when not connected. If you need to remount the new unit just use a 1/4" self tapping screw and a good drill driver. As for the wires 1 goes to + Positive and the other goes to the - Ground

Hope this helps.
Jerrod
3a5c1ee82c784247e2cbb7fc3ba4ac9a.jpg