Awning partially out of rail

Davis1997

Anybody have any insights on how to get my awning back in the rail on the side of the trailer? About 3” of it has come detached from the track.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've never been in your situation but here is what I would do if I was.
First I would get the tension off the awning by pushing up the arms bit. Might need help there.
There should be a small screw in the rail that is there to prevent side movement of the awning. You might have to remove it before proceeding. Don't forget to replace it.
Then I would try pushing the welt back in the track.
If no luck there I would probably use some sort of pry device to enlarge the track little bit, then once again try pushing the welt in once again. If it goes in tap the track closed to its original opening gap.
If successful step back and pat myself on the back for a job well done.
Good luck and come back to let us know how you did.

Peace
Dave

Piperflyer

I've never been in your situation but here is what I would do if I was.
First I would get the tension off the awning by pushing up the arms bit. Might need help there.
There should be a small screw in the rail that is there to prevent side movement of the awning. You might have to remove it before proceeding. Don't forget to replace it.
Then I would try pushing the welt back in the track.
If no luck there I would probably use some sort of pry device to enlarge the track little bit, then once again try pushing the welt in once again. If it goes in tap the track closed to its original opening gap.
If successful step back and pat myself on the back for a job well done.
Good luck and come back to let us know how you did.

Peace
Dave

I have moved my awning by Dave's method. You also might have to slide the awning on the power roller groove so it lines up straight with the awning attached to the RV. If this the case you will need to take pressure off the awnings arms to do this also. I just used a 2x4 as a dead-man to hold my awning up tp take pressure off. When lined up properly the awning will roll up in a nice even roll. Good luck!

pegmikef

I have had that happen a couple of times. Both times a piece of the vinyl dowel inside the awning has been broken off. I replaced it with a similar sized wood dowel.

1. With awning open about a foot, relieve the pressure (easiest way is to have wife or someone else push in on awning roller.
rr
2. If vinyl dowel end is missing replace. then push the awning retaining section back into the slot (I have used a screwdriver to expand the opening).

3. Once the awning retaining tube is in place, us vice grips or a small C clamp to compress the retaining slot so it is almost closed to keep the retaining tube from escaping.

Usually takes me longer to round up the tools, ladder, dowel, etc. than it does to fix it.