Fixed 2017 3575el bed struts

SNOKING

After owning our 3575el for 4 years and DW recovering from a car accident, I tackled the bed lift in the Bighorn. We had noticed over the last two years that the queen in the commuter TT was easy to lift, the Bighorn was very heavy to lift. First picture is how the struts were from the factory and the second is how I reinstalled them. I glued and used my air 1/4" crown stapler to put two new pads to screw the struts to the bottom of the mattress platform. Difference is amazing. Bed making gorilla has been retired, as it is no longer required. I used a 3' 2x4 to hold the bed us while working on the struts. Chris

Attachments

• IMG_20200701_090535.jpg
    IMG_20200701_090535.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200701_093928.jpg
    IMG_20200701_093928.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

SNOKING

DW says, why didn't I do this four years ago! I wonder how many other trailers went out with the struts install the way ours were? The difference in effort to lift the bed is amazing. Chris

SNOKING

I thought I would post another update. We live in the BH during the summer months, so the bed gets lifted twice a day to get the sleeping pillows out and store the others with the bed spread. I can now lift the bed with one hand. Before it came up hard using both arms. I wonder how many others were assembled the same?

SNOKING

Basically reversed it?

Yes, reversed the angle of the struts. In the second photo you can see the old screw holes on the frame from the original lower end location and both the old top location on the extra OSB pad and the new location on the plywood pad I installed.. Chris

Flick

DW says, why didn't I do this four years ago! I wonder how many other trailers went out with the struts install the way ours were? The difference in effort to lift the bed is amazing. Chris

Chris, thanks for bringing this up and sending your pictures so we can see what you did.

I would guess that every rig out there has at least 1 strut that was misplaced or shabbily installed from the factory. I think most of us feel that if the factory installed it, it must be done right.

Our Cyclone’s front bed struts were screwed directly into the osb board and were all loose. I put up a backer board, reinstalled and then readjusted the strut. Like yours, it was difficult to open.

Our pass thru storage compartment on off door side only opened to about 5’. This is so it wouldn’t hit the bedroom slide. I reconfigured the struts and it now opens to 6 1/2’ and still clears slide. Much easier to access.

I thank you again for the info to explain to us how much this helps.

SNOKING

Chris, what length and weight capacity struts did you install? Thanks Mike

They are the ones that came on the trailer, I just changed the mounting around. They are 20" long extended and say M34-80 on them. So maybe 80 lbs? Chris