Popping noise

LTarango

Hello everyone, I am a new member here; and for what I can tell, everyone here has been thru the issue of these popping noises coming out of the hydraulic system.

Has anyone come up with the permanent solution to this issue, it gets rather annoying at night.
We try hydraulic additive but still making the noises, specially when the temperature cools down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Luis And Tracy
Punta Gorda Fl.

danemayer

Hi LTarango,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Some owners have reported having to add a 2nd quart of the anti-stiction fluid.

Other things that may help:

• Reduce the extension of the front jacks by using a set of plastic or wood blocks. The plastic ones can be found at any RV dealer.
  • Consider RV Snap Pads. I see that Covid-19 has interrupted their production, but hopefully they'll get going again soon. The noise is believed to in part be caused by micro-movements while the jack base plate is firmly fixed against a concrete surface. The base plate can't move to accommodate temperature changes. The Snap Pads allow a little movement within the pad.
  • $1 thin cutting boards from Walmart may help as they will allow micro movement of the jack base plate.

SLO

• $1 thin cutting boards from Walmart may help as they will allow micro movement of the jack base plate.

I used this one and it helped. I now have snap pads and that helps more. I haven’t use fluid additive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigFry

Best one to add. It works.

CAT Hydraulic Oil Additive #1U-9881

Thanks so much for this advice. I can't believe how much adding this oil has helped. The guy at the CAT dealer says he can't keep it in stock due to all the RVers purchasing it. I can see why now.

tdpasoca

I read on using cat hydraulic oil additive #1u-9881. My question is how much do you use. Do you use a turkey baster to draw out the quantity for the replacement oil?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I read on using cat hydraulic oil additive #1u-9881. My question is how much do you use. Do you use a turkey baster to draw out the quantity for the replacement oil?
A turkey baster will work fine. Just suck out a quart of fluid and add the quart of Cat additive.
Cycle your level up and slides a few times and you are done.

Peace
Dave

RVFun4Us

I have the snap pads on my jacks. Added 1 quart of CAT additive about three years ago. Ready to add a second quart, this time using Maxima Fork Oil. I believe the reservoir capacity to the fill line is 2 quarts. Is there such a thing as adding to much additive, diluting the ATF in the reservoir? If you keep adding the hydraulic additive, seems that the entire system will be running on additive eventually. Am I wrong and would that be a problem?

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Hello everyone, I am a new member here; and for what I can tell, everyone here has been thru the issue of these popping noises coming out of the hydraulic system.

Has anyone come up with the permanent solution to this issue, it gets rather annoying at night.
We try hydraulic additive but still making the noises, specially when the temperature cools down.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Luis And Tracy
Punta Gorda Fl.

Same here. Became progressively worse. I started checking hydraulic lines and discovered the short orange line from the off door front jack to the diverter valves was “wet”. Replaced. So far so good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

I have the snap pads on my jacks. Added 1 quart of CAT additive about three years ago. Ready to add a second quart, this time using Maxima Fork Oil. I believe the reservoir capacity to the fill line is 2 quarts. Is there such a thing as adding to much additive, diluting the ATF in the reservoir? If you keep adding the hydraulic additive, seems that the entire system will be running on additive eventually. Am I wrong and would that be a problem?

Hydraulic systems were developed to operate with a certain kind of fluid. The additives are meant to be additives, not to be the main source of fluid. It would be more wise to add a second quart if the instructions would say, if conditions exists, add a second quart. But they don’t. If the reservoir would hold more than 2 quarts, it may be acceptable.
Of course, this is only my opinion. I would replace the fluid and top it off with the Fork Oil. Otherwise, you may be creating a new undesired problem.

Routemaster

I was getting a lots of popping as well I have changed out new Cartridge Valve at the top of the landing leg, prior to this I had added the oil Lippert suggested this all could be just a coincidence but I am not hearing the popping any more touch wood.
Den.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I was getting a lots of popping as well I have changed out new Cartridge Valve at the top of the landing leg, prior to this I had added the oil Lippert suggested this all could be just a coincidence but I am not hearing the popping any more touch wood.
Den.

That was on my list to change out but so far the hose replacement has been successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk