Slideout roller broken with damage to floor

Wanderers

Hi, I am new to this Forum though not new to the camping scene. I hope I am posting this question in the right spot. If not, please redirect me. We have a 2019 Heartland BigHorn 3760. The central slide roller on the kitchen slide broke on a recent trip. The broken metal bracket caused a huge tear in the linoleum floor. The slide repair is covered under the extended warranty plan, but I'm not having any luck getting them to cover the flooring repair. Has anyone else had a similar problem and do you have a suggestion for how to approach Heartland, Lippert or the extended warranty on this issue?
Many thanks.

danemayer

Hi Wanderers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I've moved your post to its own thread.

The roller bracket is not difficult to replace and it's possible if your service plan has a deductible, you might end up paying most of the cost of the roller/bracket repair.

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain the situation. Leave out the discussion of your service contract. Ask the rep what's involved in repair of both the bracket and also the flooring. Let the rep do most of the talking. After discussing how to approach the repair, ask if there's anything Heartland might do to help. Sometimes with situations like this, even after warranty expiration, Heartland may elect to grant a goodwill accommodation and pay for the repair cost, or if you're close to the factory, perhaps repair the damaged floor at the Retail Service Center in Elkhart.

Piperflyer

Hi Wanderers,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I've moved your post to its own thread.

The roller bracket is not difficult to replace and it's possible if your service plan has a deductible, you might end up paying most of the cost of the roller/bracket repair.

You might call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Explain the situation. Leave out the discussion of your service contract. Ask the rep what's involved in repair of both the bracket and also the flooring. Let the rep do most of the talking. After discussing how to approach the repair, ask if there's anything Heartland might do to help. Sometimes with situations like this, even after warranty expiration, Heartland may elect to grant a goodwill accommodation and pay for the repair cost, or if you're close to the factory, perhaps repair the damaged floor at the Retail Service Center in Elkhart.

I wouldn't say the replacement isn't difficult to repair. It shouldn't have to be done if Heartland used better quality parts. To answer your question type in Broken Rollers in the Advanced Search in the upper right of your screen. This should lead you to many posts on the subject

Wanderers

Slide roller replacement

I am getting conflicting information from Heartland and our RV repair shop related to the amount of time it takes to replace a slide roller on the large slide of our 3760EL fifth wheel. Heartland told me they allow 3 hours for extending and retracing the slide and 30 minutes per roller repair. The RV repair shop claims they will need about 2 days to complete the repair. Has anyone had experience with this and can reflect on the time involved? I've watched several videos regarding the repair and it looks fairly simple once the slide is extended.

danemayer

Re: Slide roller replacement

I am getting conflicting information from Heartland and our RV repair shop related to the amount of time it takes to replace a slide roller on the large slide of our 3760EL fifth wheel. Heartland told me they allow 3 hours for extending and retracing the slide and 30 minutes per roller repair. The RV repair shop claims they will need about 2 days to complete the repair. Has anyone had experience with this and can reflect on the time involved? I've watched several videos regarding the repair and it looks fairly simple once the slide is extended.

I moved your post from an unrelated thread back to this one.

From talking with people who have done this, my understanding is that the large piece of wood running along the slide floor, concealing the rollers, needs to be removed. Once removed, you should be able to see how the brackets are installed. Again, my understanding is that the roller brackets are screwed in from the top. With the slide raised slightly with a jack (outside), the old bracket can be removed and the new installed. This seems consistent with Heartland's time estimate.

I have heard of some techs providing estimates where they plan to remove the slide from the trailer to make the repair. That may account for why they think it will take 2 days. Removing a slide from the trailer is complicated and invasive. I don't think you'd want that done unless there was no alternative.

donr827

Let the RV repair shop talk to HL direct so that they can explain why the hours to repair are longer then HL hours.

Piperflyer

I replaced all three of my rollers one morning from start to finish. Jacking isn't necessary to raise the slide to replace the rollers. I think the RV Shop doesn't know what they are doing or more money is the object for the 2 day repair.
Good Luck

wdk450

I jacked up my kitchen (refrigerator) slide from the outside using a small bottle jack and wooden cribbing to the frame of the slide. I could only do 1 end at a time, but this worked OK for me. There is about 2-3 inches of clearance on the vertical trailer side cutout for the slides.

I did remove the slide front bottom wood trim. I had to do some of the repair laying on the inside floor in front of the slides, removing the roller from its frame to access the mounting screws (simple C clips on the roller axle), loosening the mounting screws with a right angle screwdriver some, and then using a thin nose vicegrips pliers to rotate the screw head. I may have used a 1/4 inch screwdriver bit held in the thin nose vicegrips instead of the right angle screwdriver.

I noted that the roller under the refrigerator was NOT located under the center of the refrigerator weight, and I relocated the new roller to under the center of the refrigerator. I think I also added an additional roller to help bear the weight.

The roller is called a J-38 which you can look up on the internet.

Routemaster

I have another situation with this LM. The center of the wood floor trim at the oven location has a dip in it also been losing the rubber wipes. You guys talking about broken rollers I was wondering if I may have a missing roller at that location causing the dip. Now has any one dismantled that wooden step and how there to repair or check out this area? I can see the rollers under the TV section when watching TV should there be something there to cover the rollers.
Thanks.
Den.

Attachments

• Gap under the fridge.JPG
    Gap under the fridge.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 155
  • More wipe tore off.JPG
    More wipe tore off.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 146
  • Wipe.JPG
    Wipe.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
  • Rollers.JPG
    Rollers.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Lower gap under stove.JPG
    Lower gap under stove.JPG
    524 KB · Views: 150

Piperflyer

Not sure of your LM, but my BH had a missing roller when delivered new under the heaviest park of the slide (refrigerator). I attached a picture to see how I dismantled the wooden step and a picture of how the rollers are installed. I did install a new roller under the refrigerator.

Roller1.jpg roller4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

BigFry

Not sure of your LM, but my BH had a missing roller when delivered new under the heaviest park of the slide (refrigerator). I attached a picture to see how I dismantled the wooden step and a picture of how the rollers are installed. I did install a new roller under the refrigerator.

View attachment 64480 View attachment 64481

- - - Updated - - -

Piperflyer,

Our Bighorn slide roller assembly bracket has broken and is the same large roller you have pictured here. Do you have a manufacturer and/or part number for this assembly?

Thanks,
BigFry

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Piperflyer,

Our Bighorn slide roller assembly bracket has broken and is the same large roller you have pictured here. Do you have a manufacturer and/or part number for this assembly?

Thanks,
BigFry

0125984 : Roller - Slide Out Bracket - w/10" Grey Wheel $28.50

From about 2 yrs ago from HL parts dept
On our BH kitchen slide this is replaceable by removing only the facia piece of molding on the bottom of the slide. The screws to remove our broken one and reattach this one are accessible from under the slide.

f8bf6fe1231e1909166cf7eabd8ab01b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
faac59675e5a2703a8cfd9f1908e0358.jpg

a67d9e98ca6690c1edf289f06551830a.jpg

BigFry

Thanks very much travelin. We are on the road right now but when we stop somewhere I will try to order and repair. Your pictures are very helpful.

CDN

B and B
I have another situation with this LM. The center of the wood floor trim at the oven location has a dip in it also been losing the rubber wipes. You guys talking about broken rollers I was wondering if I may have a missing roller at that location causing the dip. Now has any one dismantled that wooden step and how there to repair or check out this area? I can see the rollers under the TV section when watching TV should there be something there to cover the rollers.
Thanks.
Den.

Hello I have the wipe on the outside getting caught. The dealer replaced got caught again. I trimed the wipe back, put some super sticky Vapour Barrier tape on it and left it like this. All is well now.

wdk450

I'm pretty sure the slideout roller is generically referred to as a "J-38". At least that is what I installed on my Bighorn refrigerator slideout. As mentioned by others, there seemed to be no weight bearing directly under the refrigerator, so I installed an extra J-38 roller under the center front of the refrigerator. I used a thin nosed vice grips and a #2 phillips short bit to remove and replace the mounting screws for the roller frame after removing the roller rubber from the frame. I now have a small right angle ratchet tool for 1/4 inch screwdriver bits.

BTW, Lippert seems to want $63 for a J-38 roller. I found this one on E-Trailer.com for $14.21, although I don't know about shipping charges:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Global-Link/295-000027.html

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks very much travelin. We are on the road right now but when we stop somewhere I will try to order and repair. Your pictures are very helpful.

BTW-I used a few wood shims like these
55b1fa0bdc0ab6eec8edca1e5415af8a.jpg

Under the other existing rollers as I ran the slide in as few inches to make enough clearance for inserting the replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigFry

Thanks again Travelin, that is a great idea. The only way I have seen those lifted is with a jack and some 2x4s.

rch

I jacked up my kitchen (refrigerator) slide from the outside using a small bottle jack and wooden cribbing to the frame of the slide. I could only do 1 end at a time, but this worked OK for me. There is about 2-3 inches of clearance on the vertical trailer side cutout for the slides.

I did remove the slide front bottom wood trim. I had to do some of the repair laying on the inside floor in front of the slides, removing the roller from its frame to access the mounting screws (simple C clips on the roller axle), loosening the mounting screws with a right angle screwdriver some, and then using a thin nose vicegrips pliers to rotate the screw head. I may have used a 1/4 inch screwdriver bit held in the thin nose vicegrips instead of the right angle screwdriver.

I noted that the roller under the refrigerator was NOT located under the center of the refrigerator weight, and I relocated the new roller to under the center of the refrigerator. I think I also added an additional roller to help bear the weight.

The roller is called a J-38 which you can look up on the internet.
Hi, when the kitchen slide is in, should the roller make solid contact with the floor? As my slide retracts, during the last 3 inches, the floor raises and rollers are not touching the floor. Any thoughts? I am concerned about the weight of the refrigerator not being supported during travel.