FW Length Limits at Govt Camp Sites/Parks

We have come to the conclusion that the BH or Landmark FWs would best meet our needs as full timers. We especially like the layouts, storage and CC of these units.

My question is, would we be turned down at the state parks and BLM, COE sites with a trailer over 38 feet like the Augusta or 3670BH?

The Boondocking sites around Yuma, AZ look interesting but do they have trailer length limits?

Is there a place (web site) that has this information?

We really like this user's forum. Thanks for being there.

Bill and Quin

jimtoo

Hi Bill and Quin,
Welcome to the Heartland Forum and to the Heartland Family. Hopefully on the forum you will find answers to all your questions. We have a great bunch of people here.
Jim M

Tom of Ypsi

I can only reply to the COE parks and to this date I have not found any I could not fit in but I have only been to a few. If you get the COE book Camping with the Corp of Engineers you will get most of the info you need. Good luck with your search.

jpmorgan37

Farmer Bill;

We have been Gate Attendants and Campground Host at three different Corps of Engineer parks and have camped at over a dozen more. There is no length restriction as long as the site will accommodate your rig. Many of the sites are 50 to 70 feet deep, so that won't be a problem. One of the best books of Corp parks is: Camping with the Corps of Engineers" by S. L. Hinkle. It sells for $15.95 and can be found on Ebay or many RV dealers. Make sure you get the 7th edition, that's the new one.

John

SmokeyBare

Bill,

For some State parks there is a Reservation site called: " Recreational.gov "

Here is the Link:
http://www.recreation.gov/welcome.do?topTabIndex=Home

Once you do a search for the state and location you want to camp... then you can narrow down the actual site... by looking on their Campground Maps... they list the length that will fit on each site... they list the electric hook up - 15 amp - 30 amp or 50 amp. They list if the site has water and if it has sewer. If you have camped at state parks before... you might know not all have electric and water... and not many have sewers... but some do.

To be clear, this site what some states have selected for the reservation service... but not all states... and with the ever changing level of state support for their parks... who knows if they will continue using this service.

I believe we'll be seeing more and more State Campgrounds closing because of funds have dried up from the State level. I hope I'm wrong...

As far as Yuma... I've been there a couple times... Boon-docking is not site specific... I mean to say the sites out on the Desert are not sites as we would know them... as in a RV Park. they are just where ever you feel you can park... and as much space as you need. Most folks don't snuggle up against each others trailer. Well, except for Quartzsite Arizona... I've parked there with the Escapee's Boomer's group... kind of close together... just so we'd not have all that far to walk to the 4:00 PM social hour ! :)

I have never yet found a park in Yuma who couldn't handle my 3400 RL BigHorn. There are plenty of parks there as well as the Rio Grande Valley of Texas. The sites are plenty big enough... most with good services... and the SunShine can't be beat !!

But remember those areas get full pretty quickly... I have also found they Love the RV'ers who commit to a 4 or 5 month stay... and are reluctant to commit a site for 3 or less months... at least they are early in the fall... as January approches... they change those thoughts for anyone who'll fill the sites they have empty for a couple months.... This has been my experience at least...

Hope this helps some... Good Luck !

timk

Bill,
We cant take our 3400 a LOT of places we used to like to go. Most any rv park is ok, but we don't even try to get into state parks anymore unless we've seen them first.
If I had it to do over again, I'd get something shorter, but thats just us.

fvanassen

Rig Size

I live in Michigan and there are many great State Parks and National Park campgrounds here. The Michigan web site has a link to the State parks and each state park has size notations on the individual sites. They are pretty accurate, not perfect, but pretty darn good. I have stayed in several with my 36 foot (real length) Cardinal and never ran into a parking issue when I used their recommendations. The National Forest campgrounds up here also accommodate larger rigs but the sites must be seen to know for sure. These sites are often quite tight to get into so you will need to be selective. Most of the Nat Forest Campgrounds have reservations and camp hosts that should be able to guide you. These campgrounds rarely have full services. Often only electric. Great Prices and beautiful locations.

jpmorgan37

ssgutt;

I have read the one that you have referenced and there are many inaccuracies. The only one that I have found to be fairly accurate on the Corps of Engineers parks is by S. L. Hinkle, USMC Retired. The title is "Camping with the Corps of Engineers" and the latest publication is 7th Edition. ISBN #9780937877500 and it is on the market now.

John