Back Up Water

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My practice of keeping a supply of water in the fresh water tank, even though we're always connected to city water, has paid off. We experienced some heavy storms up here in northern Michigan and the local substation got knocked out for several hours. But, with water in our tank, we were able to use the toilet as needed during the deluge. Didn't have to drive miles for "emergencies." Fridge kicked over to propane as soon as the power went out and back to 120V when it came back on. I did pull our awning in as a precaution. Some other campers did have awning damage, however, probably from the sudden overload of water on a not properly angled awning. Relatives of a friend with a cottage on the river did have a large pine tree crash through their roof. Fortunately, they were next door at a neighbor's and watched it happen.

jbeletti

Thanks for sharing John. I saw (via Facebook) Dan and Karen Halvorsen lost an awning during that storm.

We too carry a small amount of water in our fresh water tank. Mainly for being able to flush the toilet and wash hands on travel days. We rarely go inside gas stations or restaurants on travel days. Prefer to use our own bathroom where possible.

Then as an added benefit, like you, should we lose water at a CG - we'll have a bit in the tank :)

JohnDar

Jim, tips, tricks and tidbits of information are what it’s about. Where were the Halvorsen’s during this storm?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

The storm did pretty much cover the state at some point. We had tornado warnings in Indian River, but only heavy rain, strong winds, lots of rain and lightening. Two storms actually passed through our area. The second, shorter one got the substation in the wee hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

yep- I always travel with water - happened this past weekend also in south texas - choke canyon state park - woke up- noticed low pressure- water main had broken - they shut off water and from 9- almost 6pm no water and they closed bathrooms- been nearly 100 dg all 4 days there- many people left , would have been rough with no water all day Saturday but thankfully I we were able to keep our great vacation going

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Always water onboard for travel days and such

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Posz

We carry a six gallon plastic jerry can of water in the basement with the winterizing hose inserted in it. Saves having to sanitize the big tank but provides enough for flushing and hand washing while on the road. Also saves weight.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I sure do miss those Michigan thunderstorms...born and raised there...spent 33 of my 60 years there!

As for keeping water in the fresh water tank...learned my lesson about that a few years back and always had a full tank of water!

At least five times I was the only one in the park that could take showers for a day of two after someone drove off before unhooking their city water hose and damaged the park's water system!