What is this switch for?

humanmack

I recently purchased a new to me 2014 Road Warrior 281. I have read through almost all the forums and tried several searches to answer this question. There is a switch near the garage bed controls that when turned on, increases the fan speed of the converter (converter fan becomes louder). Other than that, I have no idea what it does. It never seems to go off like something was putting a load on the converter. Fan and transfer switch look stock. The switch only works when connected to shore power. I have checked all the other possibilities I could find (TV, entertainment center, lights, over-ride switch) with no luck. I tried Heartland customer service with no luck. I bought it from an RV lot that is a distance away and they have no idea based on my explanation.

Any ideas?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Take a picture and send to Heartland Customer Service along with your VIN. They may be able to tell you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flick

I recently purchased a new to me 2014 Road Warrior 281. I have read through almost all the forums and tried several searches to answer this question. There is a switch near the garage bed controls that when turned on, increases the fan speed of the converter (converter fan becomes louder). Other than that, I have no idea what it does. It never seems to go off like something was putting a load on the converter. Fan and transfer switch look stock. The switch only works when connected to shore power. I have checked all the other possibilities I could find (TV, entertainment center, lights, over-ride switch) with no luck. I tried Heartland customer service with no luck. I bought it from an RV lot that is a distance away and they have no idea based on my explanation.

Any ideas?

The way you describe it, it sounds to me that the switch is operating a 12v light somewhere. When you switch it on, it increases the 12v demand causing the converter to put out more amps.
The light switch may be an awning light or an outside light on one of the corners or elsewhere. You’ll find it. Keep looking.

LBR

LED style lights shouldn't put enough draw on the 12V system to put your converter into higher charging demand. If you have incandescent rear docking/reverse lights at the top, they possibly could load the system, but I wouldn't think that is it tho.

The other high demand is a fuel station pump... those draw a lot of amps....maybe you are hearing the fuel pump motor running, and mistaking it for that converter fan?

Flick

LED style lights shouldn't put enough draw on the 12V system to put your converter into higher charging demand. If you have incandescent rear docking/reverse lights at the top, they possibly could load the system, but I wouldn't think that is it tho.

The other high demand is a fuel station pump... those draw a lot of amps....maybe you are hearing the fuel pump motor running, and mistaking it for that converter fan?

In my particular instance that I was referring to and considering your comment that led lighting won’t affect your converter charging rate, that is not correct.
My Cyclone is in my closed in building where it’s very quiet. When I turn on the living room lights, I can hear the converter shifting to a different gear. Now that’s my unit and the converter has never faltered.

LBR

In my particular instance that I was referring to and considering your comment that led lighting won’t affect your converter charging rate, that is not correct.
My Cyclone is in my closed in building where it’s very quiet. When I turn on the living room lights, I can hear the converter shifting to a different gear. Now that’s my unit and the converter has never faltered.
Possibly your battery bank is slightly compromised if a small draw LED light circuit revs your converter up.

Our converter fan does not do that when any LED light circuits are turned on when on shore power. It could be because I keep our 400A lithium battery bank @ 14.4 volts, and any LED lighting circuit is scoffed at by my battery bank.

david-steph2018

Any ideas?

Do you have a rear awning? Our rear awning is loud when going in and out.

Oregon_Camper

Our converter fan does not do that when any LED light circuits are turned on when on shore power. It could be because I keep our 400A lithium battery bank @ 14.4 volts, and any LED lighting circuit is scoffed at by my battery bank.

Our electrical layout/wiring has the converter providing all 12v power to the RV when plugged in. Our 600A of Lithium are not used when on shore power, unless the system detects a drop in voltage from shore power.

RV Power Flow.jpg

Last edited:

Flick

Possibly your battery bank is slightly compromised if a small draw LED light circuit revs your converter up.

I understand what you’re saying. My voltage for my unit always stays around 13.3 to 13.4v.
I don’t have the lithium batteries that you have, but I do have 2 AGM group 34 750 CCA/860 CA batteries that were installed in March of this year. They are definitely ok.
My lights do make the converter rev up, but like I said, that’s my unit.

humanmack

I am also working on the fuel pump (was sitting too long and "seized" - varnish). Definitely not the the fuel pump. I took the cover of the area where the converter is and I can hear and feel the fan change speeds. Working on the light idea, although I really hope an LED is not drawing that much. Docking lights are a possibility - have to check that again.

humanmack

Score one for Flick and LBR,

It was the rear docking lights. Incandescent and they make the draw, but I completely forgot they were there. Thanks all for the help. Always nice to know there is a source for help.

Thanks again.