What kind of slides do I have?

Hey Guys,

Bobbie here. We just bought a 2010 Sundance 2900MK. We took a 4 day trip as a shake down cruise and getting to know the rig a bit. My husband asked me (I'm the wrench in the family) if we could operate the slides manually. I've been on this forum and the internet and I know we can do it, but I need to know if we have electric or hydraulic actuators. I visited the HOM, good info, but again, I would need to know which set up we have. Side question, are all Heartland rigs covered on the bottom and short of cutting through the corrugated fiberboard is there a good way to access devises from below?

Thanks, Bobbie

pegmikef

I don't know about the slides, but on the bottom you gotta cut it or drop it for access. I dropped mine to when I had to route a new hydraulic hose. Some folks make flaps near the things they periodically access.'

Jim Posz

We previously had a 2007 Sundance 5th wheel; now have a 2014 Sundance 5th wheel. Both had electric slides. If the electric motor fails you should be able to manually extend or retract your slides (except for the bedroom) using a crank inserted into a round grommet located in the skirt opposite the slide. Ours came with the crank when new. If you have a bedroom slide you can access the machinery by lifting up the bed and removing a panel under the center of the bed between the storage compartments. We had to get a cat out of there some years back...

FYI there should be another crank which can raise and lower the front landing gear if that motor fails.

I don't know about the slides, but on the bottom you gotta cut it or drop it for access. I dropped mine to when I had to route a new hydraulic hose. Some folks make flaps near the things they periodically access.'
Thanks for the reply, I'm starting to understand a bit more on the slides. I do like the flap idea; cut them facing aft, maybe a button of some sort on the flap and opposite, tie it up in a figure-8 like an office envelope.

We previously had a 2007 Sundance 5th wheel; now have a 2014 Sundance 5th wheel. Both had electric slides. If the electric motor fails you should be able to manually extend or retract your slides (except for the bedroom) using a crank inserted into a round grommet located in the skirt opposite the slide. Ours came with the crank when new. If you have a bedroom slide you can access the machinery by lifting up the bed and removing a panel under the center of the bed between the storage compartments. We had to get a cat out of there some years back...

FYI there should be another crank which can raise and lower the front landing gear if that motor fails.
I'll look into that, thanks. Did the cat come with the camper?

avvidclif

Thanks for the reply, I'm starting to understand a bit more on the slides. I do like the flap idea; cut them facing aft, maybe a button of some sort on the flap and opposite, tie it up in a figure-8 like an office envelope.

Gorilla tape it.

Jim Posz

No, the cat was aftermarket. We did subsequently begin the practice of not letting said cat loose in the rig until the slides were extended. The access under the bedroom slide disappears when it is out.

mlburst1

Another item to look for are zerk fittings on the top rear of both front landing gear legs.

I never realized that they were there and ended up replacing both legs when the gears failed.

Enjoy your new rig!

Mike