OEM P275/60R2 Good enough for short trips?

Offtrail

Just traded our 2014 Titan Pro-4X for a 2020 Titan SL.

The tires are P275/60R2 Goodyear Wranglers. Load limit per tire is 2610. Our 30' (26' box) North Trail Caliper tow trailer weighs about 6300 loaded and has tongue weight of about 720 lbs. Cannot find the ply rating online but sure it is not 10.

Opinions on whether these will serve us until we get the Michelin Defenders LTX we want? We have a weight distribution hitch with sway bar control.

Thank you,

Chas

MCTalley

All the Michelin tires I found on tire rack in that size (you left off a zero, by the way, it's P275/60R20) have the same load rating as the Wranglers that are on it now. They show 3 tires in Load Range E (3200-3400 lb.):

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
Firestone Destination X/T

The Yokohama was on a closeout price, so I suspect those might be an outgoing model. I think you'll find that with 20 inch wheels, your heavier duty tire choices are going to be limited.

With that said, however, with two 2600 lb. rated tires in the back for a 5200 lb. rating on the rear axle minus 620 pounds of hitch weight, you're left with 4580 lb. capacity from the tires for the rest of the truck. I seriously doubt the rear of your truck weighs near that much unladen. Just run the rears at or near their specified max air pressure when towing and I would think you would be fine.

Offtrail

All the Michelin tires I found on tire rack in that size (you left off a zero, by the way, it's P275/60R20) have the same load rating as the Wranglers that are on it now. They show 3 tires in Load Range E (3200-3400 lb.):

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT
Yokohama Geolander A/T G015
Firestone Destination X/T

The Yokohama was on a closeout price, so I suspect those might be an outgoing model. I think you'll find that with 20 inch wheels, your heavier duty tire choices are going to be limited.

With that said, however, with two 2600 lb. rated tires in the back for a 5200 lb. rating on the rear axle minus 620 pounds of hitch weight, you're left with 4580 lb. capacity from the tires for the rest of the truck. I seriously doubt the rear of your truck weighs near that much unladen. Just run the rears at or near their specified max air pressure when towing and I would think you would be fine.

Thank you.

On the Goodyear site they have owners feedback on these Wrangler-SR-A. Two positive comments from owners pulling travel trailers, one was a fifth wheel. Considering how little we will tow, probably 15% of the miles, we'll give them a try at the max 44 PSI and watch carefully.

Thanks again.

Chas