Lifestyle Modification

Lou_and_Bette

Bette and I have been full timing for the last 8 years and have loved it. We are rethinking this and considering changing to a less traveling lifestyle. We bought a small condo in Bette’s hometown almost 2 years ago. It had become extremely difficult, due to many governmental restrictions, to find a camp spot in this area, and Bette has many family members in this area, including our youngest son, a grandson, and, now, a great grandson. This would be the area where Bette would reside if something happened and we, or she, couldn’t travel anymore. Now, to the meat of this post. We have a daughter in Southern Mississippi that has 9 acres and this is where we/the Big Horn winter. We would like to downsize the RV since we wouldn’t need as much space for shorter camping excursions. So, do I keep the BH, and build a roof over it, setting it up in a permanent location? Do, I trade the BH in on a small Mobile home? Do, I trade the BH in on a Destination rig or a Park Model? My research indicates that one of the main differences between those 2 choices is Park Model doesn’t have holding tanks where Destination rig, and our current BH, does. I have access to our own septic tank, so, while it is a lot easier to dump when you are permanently connected, it is still a PIA to do. We will still need a smaller RV so we can do some traveling and it is a possibility to trade the BH in on a smaller rig and then buy one of the other options. I realize I will take a hit on the trade but was thinking it might be more beneficial to trade in on a higher priced unit than a lower priced one. So, anybody had any experience with Destination or Park Model trailers? Where to find a dealership and, do they take trade ins? Not sure if any of the Mobile home dealers do trades, but that is easy to check into since there are many of them near us in the South. Suggestions, comments, etc., welcomed. Lou

jbeletti

Lou - whatever you decide (park model, mobile home, destination unit etc.), consider selling your BH on your own. The resale market is very hot right now and that's the only way to unlock the true value of your coach.

Neighbor here at the CG in TX was considering trading. I told them to consider retail resale. One day on Facebook Marketplace and it sold. Perhaps a bit of luck there but the resale market is hot as current production with many manufacturers is out to 8 to 12 weeks as new unit sales are at all time high levels.

You and Bette are having an amazing final big trip - following you on Facebook :)

Wishing you both the very best!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Lou and Bette, good luck in making your decision. There are pros and cons to any decision you make. I think Jim has the right idea about selling it yourself. I know it's a hard choice to make but one that many of us will face at some point. We'll miss you on the road!

MCTalley

We're kinda a step ahead of you. We bought the park model next door to our RV pad here in Florida and moved into it. We're keeping the Big Country for now, but ultimately want to downsize it for shorter trips here and there.

When we looked at having a park model put on our RV lot, I was talking to the salesman there (at the Tampa RV Show this winter) and he indicated that, yes, they'd take our Big Country in on trade. However, he was honest and said we'd be lucky to get as much as $20K for it, probably closer to $15K. Again, that was in January before all the pandemic stuff and while RV manufacturers were cranking out units as fast as they could.

Park Models are limited by HUD to 499 square feet, which you've probably already found out. Ours is 12 x 40 with a couple bay windows bringing it to like 496 square feet. Some areas are as cramped/crowded as the RV was (our bedroom is 9' x 9'), but the main living area is much roomier. Things to consider.

Lou_and_Bette

Thanks guys for the comments, I just want to clear up the fact that we don’t plan to stop traveling, we just want to stop living exclusively in the RV so we will downsize whichever way we go.

Oldelevatorman

We’re in a sort of similar situation. We’ve been here in our covered RV site in Tucson since November and aren’t traveling at the moment. With rates being so low, 2.8%, we have purchased a 1300 sf home here at our resort. The park models here are just a little too small for our needs. Once the house is all set up we hope to get back to on the road with some short trips. And we’ll still be under cover till the RV site sells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk