Quickie Mods

creeper

Have a couple of quick mods to share in a couple of problem areas.

As many Rvers know the shower skylight can transfer lots of heat in or lots of heat out. I've seen many mods where people use pink insulation, paneling and various other things I never thought looked all that good.

This is my attempt and I like the way it came out.

First thing I did was get some white industrial velco. You can get it at Home Depot or Lowes.

I outlined the skylight with velcro and due to the color it hardly noticeable. The first picture still has backing tape visible.

I then put the opposite side to the velcro on that in preparation to sticking my insulation.

SANY0081.jpg

I then cut my insulation to size and then stuck it to the skylight.

SANY0083.jpg

What is it you ask?

It's actually one of those windshield reflectors. I got it at Walmart for $6. I then used the foil/bubble insulation and tripled it up. I wanted the sealed ends and black edging to make it looked like it belonged there and give it a finished look.

You can see it it lays flat even tripled up.

SANY0085_2.jpg

It's easy on and easy off if need be.

The second problem is the bedroom heat vent. In 20 degree weather you can feel cold coming up from the vent. Heartland keeps this section of vent exposed.

A little bubble foil and that problem is solved.

SANY0086.jpg

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
Creeper,
You just amaze me with your ingenuity and genius! Thanks for sharing your projects with us, as you inspire me with your fantastic work. All the best for you and yours this wonderful Christmas season.

navyAZ1

We did the same thing last summer when we arrived in Shreveport, LA and the temp was 107° it works very well. We also had the second A/C installed in the bedroom since at these temps it took almost til 9:30 that night to cool off with just the one A/C unit. We had one of those Carrier "low profile" units installed in the bedroom so we didn't have to add any height to the rig.