what is this switch for. MPG 181

There is a switch, with a red toggle that lights up when on, just around the corner form the battery/water monitoring panel.
What is it for?

Thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It should be to the fresh water tank heating pad. It is on my cyclone.

I doubt an MPG 181 has a heating pad. More than likely it is the switch to run the HWHeater off electricity. Make sure there is water in the HW Tank before turning it on or you’ll burn the heating element out in a few seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

It should be to the fresh water tank heating pad. It is on my cyclone.
Extremely doubtful that their ~2012 19' trailer has that pad...a cold weather package wasn't even an option like our CY's have.

I agree that it should be for the hot water heater, unless a previous owner installed the switch for something to their liking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it looks like a standard light switch and lights up red when in the on position, be SURE there is water in the water heater before turning it on. Replacing the heating element isn’t expensive, but it is a PITA.

danemayer

Is there an exterior outlet on the door side? It might be a switched outlet for exterior lights.

Flick

The water heater in this tiny trailer is gas.... and no heating pad...

At 2:04 of this video it is visible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAPE6Uqdt8Q

Thanks.

I don’t want to doubt what you think about your trailer having only propane for heating water, but if you pull up the specs for a trailer like yours, it lists the water heater as electric/propane.
I understand that yours could have been ordered different, but I doubt it. Just a thought.

I don’t want to doubt what you think about your trailer having only propane for heating water, but if you pull up the specs for a trailer like yours, it lists the water heater as electric/propane.
I understand that yours could have been ordered different, but I doubt it. Just a thought.

I found another video online.... the switch is for a hot water heater...

BTW, there is zero information in the manual....(all the original paperwork came with the trailer) all it had was a manual for a gas water heater.

Thanks.

Jim

JohnDar

The panel on the side for the water heater appears to be the same as the Suburban DSI units that can run on electric or propane (or both at the same time). Atwood water heaters are gas only and have a different door.

SNOKING

I found another video online.... the switch is for a hot water heater...

BTW, there is zero information in the manual....(all the original paperwork came with the trailer) all it had was a manual for a gas water heater.

Thanks.

Jim

I found this for a 2011 MY 181

[h=2]Gas/electric DSI water heater[/h]Switch probably turns on gas side of the water heater and to use electric the black switch inside the external cover has to be turned on along with the circuit breaker in the electrical panel. Chris

JohnDar

Simple end to the question. Remove the outside cover (very simple to do) and look the face of the water heater. If you see a small black rocker switch below the gas valve, the mystery is solved.

Springhaven

Funny thing is when we bought our unit a couple years ago, I didn't know what the switch was for either. Since the unit had already been winterized you can guess what happened. MAN...taking the element out of the tank was a chore. But I was able to put a new element in at least. I think the old one was the origional.

Funny thing is when we bought our unit a couple years ago, I didn't know what the switch was for either. Since the unit had already been winterized you can guess what happened. MAN...taking the element out of the tank was a chore. But I was able to put a new element in at least. I think the old one was the origional.

Right. Burned up quickly I bet... I have since put a sticker on the switch "tank must be full".

Turns out the previous owner had a cotter pin through the black switch on the water heater (on the off position).... and only used the gas part.
I have since replaced the element and hi temp t-stats too, since everything was original on the heater. Idle use doesn't help either.
Cheap fixes and the thing works like a champ.

To be honest, I think this switch is an afterthought on the overall design. It doesn't make any sense with its location and size (why not have it next to the other switches and labeled) ... not to mention that it is not in any of the manuals.....

I took the trailer for it's maiden voyage last Oct/Nov. Pulls great, comfortable and is well laid out for a long stay (I was on a work trip)
The only issue I had was with the axle bearings... previous owner always had it serviced... during the last service the tech (as I leaned) forgot to replace the grease cap on one side.
The bearing disintegrated.....
I was lucky where it happened, just outside of Santa Fe. Limped the trailer to an O'Rielly's auto (free tool rental) Spent the day replacing it all.... that was fun.
I know a guy in Sante Fe now who has all the axle parts...:)

Thanks for all the input.