Kitchen sink

Jaleese

I have a 2008 big country 5th wheel bunk house. 3490 bhs. My sink keeps clogging continuously. We empty the tanks completely and water keeps coming up both sides. What can be wrong ??

cashmore

Does it ever let water down the drain? Check the J-Trap under the sink to make sure that it's clear and not clogged.

danemayer

You need good venting for the sink to drain well. On some floorplans, the drain pipe is routed up to the roof. But sinks located in kitchen islands use a Studor Air Admittance Valve located under the sink. If you have a roof vent, you'll need to check that it's clear. If a Studor Valve, you can test by removing it temporarily. Don't leave it off however as you'll get some pretty stinky odors.

Flick

I have a 2008 big country 5th wheel bunk house. 3490 bhs. My sink keeps clogging continuously. We empty the tanks completely and water keeps coming up both sides. What can be wrong ??

As mentioned, your p-trap is probably clogged. Instead of using harsh chemicals that can cause some problems in some cases, recommend using a home combination of 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for 20 or 30 min and flush with hot water.
You can always resort to chemicals if this doesn’t work. If you’re sure the trap is clear but sink still doesn’t drain, move to the next scenario that was suggested.

cashmore

As mentioned, your p-trap is probably clogged. Instead of using harsh chemicals that can cause some problems in some cases, recommend using a home combination of 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let it sit for 20 or 30 min and flush with hot water.
You can always resort to chemicals if this doesn’t work. If you’re sure the trap is clear but sink still doesn’t drain, move to the next scenario that was suggested.

Agreed, commercial chemicals can potentially cause issues in an RV better to use the afore mentioned home combination. You could always pull the p-trap out from under the sink and verify that it's clear. P-traps come out without tool (usually) by simply unscrewing the nuts around it by hand. I have found that home combinations as well as commercial chemicals don't always clear a p-trap clog especially when stuffed with rice / pasta or other stubborn items. If you verify that the p-trap is not clogged then as mentioned by others start to track down the vent for the tank. Determine if it's a vent that goes to the roof or one of the little ones under the sink that has an air inlet valve on it, those air inlet valves have been finicky over the years.

Jaleese

P trap is clear we just checked that. When it clogs the water moves up and down almost like its breathing.Thank you everyone!

cashmore

At that point it's time to move on to vents. Check the vent to the tank, it sounds like its fighting to get air.

cashmore

Yes it is the vent. Now how do we clean it?

Well that depends on what type of vent it is. If it's a roof vent, i would likely try to use a long fish tape or perhaps a plumbing snake to try and clear it out being very careful to not break the ABS pipe or damage the tank. Using a long camera (like plumbers to show sewer) down the vent pipe first would be something that i would do to make sure that there isn't some other damage and perhaps reveal what is down there causing the clog and revealing other options.

If it's a vent valve under the sink simply removing it and seeing if the sink drains would be first (with a bucket under it to catch if theres an issue) and if it drains simply replace the valve, if not there's more of an issue somewhere else.

cashmore

As a complete guess as I don't know that particular unit, I would guess they are around 45 gal. Calling Heartland with your VIN number they may be able to give you exacts.

mlpeloquin

I have read this thread. It begs the question, if you need to ask how large your tank is, when is the last time you dumped it? It is behaving like no air behind water, or the tank is full.

cashmore

I have read this thread. It begs the question, if you need to ask how large your tank is, when is the last time you dumped it? It is behaving like no air behind water, or the tank is full.

I just assumed that it had been dumped.... See what happens when you assume :eek:. But you hit on a very good point and now that I think about it, that's a great question.

Jaleese

Yes they have all been emptied . But we have the campground do the pump outs. I was just asking to have it for my references.