Newport TV Coax Setup

ILH

I'm looking for some assistance with the TV coax setup behind the main TV. We were at a campsite last week that provided free cable TV. After hooking up the campground cable in the UDC, scanning for channels on both the main and bedroom TVs, I had about 13 analogue and 80+ digital channels on both TVs. All was well.

A couple of days into our stay, my wife was putting some stuff away in the cabinet above the main tv. Poof... the main TV lost all digital channels. I tried re-scanning. I checked connections (including pulling the cover plates off the wall and checking the backside). Nothing. Meanwhile, the bedroom tv continued to receive both analogue and digital channels. Initially, I thought maybe the tv's tuner had been fried - but I ran a separate cable from the outside box through the window to the back of the main tv - re-scanned and all digital channels appeared.

My analysis is that somewhere, a connection is lose or grounded - causing the signal loss. Problem is, my rig's setup looks NOTHING like the pictures in the Landmark user manual. The connections make no sense to me - and as is usual for Heartland, they are not labeled. I have connections behind the TV and also in a cabinet above the TV.

One of the reasons I'm so frustrated (aside from being unable to find the connection leading to the lost signal), is that the prior trip a friend with a satellite dish (tripod setup) and receiver tried to set up my rig. Again, we were able to get signal to the bedroom, but no signal would go to the main TV.

Does anybody know of a schematic for the Landmarks - or more specifically for the Newports? Help!

cashmore

Does your unit have a little button on one of the cable plates that turns a booster on and off for the arial antenna? It would turn a little green light on and off. I know that sometimes one tv will be able to get everything while another wont with that little button on or off. Perhaps when things were getting put away a light brush of that little button happened? Just one thought.

ILH

Does your unit have a little button on one of the cable plates that turns a booster on and off for the arial antenna? It would turn a little green light on and off. I know that sometimes one tv will be able to get everything while another wont with that little button on or off. Perhaps when things were getting put away a light brush of that little button happened? Just one thought.

I'm familiar with the signal booster - which is located behind our bedroom TV. I thought of that and checked. It is off and nothing in the bedroom has changed - and wouldn't account for why the bedroom TV is continuing to get the digital channels while the main room is not. Thanks.

cashmore

I'm familiar with the signal booster - which is located behind our bedroom TV. I thought of that and checked. It is off and nothing in the bedroom has changed - and wouldn't account for why the bedroom TV is continuing to get the digital channels while the main room is not. Thanks.

Well shoot, so much for easy. Just thought i'd throw something simple out there as I forget about that pesky button sometimes myself. So, the search continues.

mlpeloquin

The signal goes through at least one splitter and also two feed through fittings. In the living room, remove the wall plate and check if the coax connector(s) are tight. Then go behind the UDC and check all connections there. Also check behind the TV amp in the bedroom and make sure the connections are tight there as well. The RV for the satellite is through a direct feed from the UDC to the RF plate for the living room TV. It is the second RV feed through in that plate. If you did not use that RV Feed through then that is the reason it did not get the signal from the satellite dish. By the way, loose RV connectors and miss routed RF cables have been discovered as well for satellite dish connections. I do not think you have a splitter connected backwards since the bedroom works and the living room did.

Lou_and_Bette

I checked a floor plan for your model and it appears you LR TV is in a slide. Go under the slide and check for a medium sized wiring protector. Gently open at the split and look for cables, mine has a black one, cable/tv reception, and a white one, satellite reception. These should exit through a hole in the frame. Mine has enough slack that I can gently pull the cables out to reveal a in-line connection. One had come apart. If you don’t have enough slack to pull the connectors out, undo a couple of the screws holding the chloroplast up and you should be able to get to the connections. Common problem area

ILH

I checked a floor plan for your model and it appears you LR TV is in a slide. Go under the slide and check for a medium sized wiring protector. Gently open at the split and look for cables, mine has a black one, cable/tv reception, and a white one, satellite reception. These should exit through a hole in the frame. Mine has enough slack that I can gently pull the cables out to reveal a in-line connection. One had come apart. If you don’t have enough slack to pull the connectors out, undo a couple of the screws holding the chloroplast up and you should be able to get to the connections. Common problem area

Thanks Lou. I appreciate the tip(s).

Long time since I last saw you and Bette! - I think it was in Elkhart in 2015.

- - - Updated - - -

The signal goes through at least one splitter and also two feed through fittings. In the living room, remove the wall plate and check if the coax connector(s) are tight. Then go behind the UDC and check all connections there. Also check behind the TV amp in the bedroom and make sure the connections are tight there as well. The RV for the satellite is through a direct feed from the UDC to the RF plate for the living room TV. It is the second RV feed through in that plate. If you did not use that RV Feed through then that is the reason it did not get the signal from the satellite dish. By the way, loose RV connectors and miss routed RF cables have been discovered as well for satellite dish connections. I do not think you have a splitter connected backwards since the bedroom works and the living room did.

Thanks. As with Lou's comments, I just need lots of patience and time to trace the connections backwards until I find the culprit.

TrailCreek

I got tired of the same issue and installed a separate coax cable port on the slide. Park cable wouldn't work with the splitter.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jimcat

I have several connectors in the main tv area.. on the 2015 newport.. which is the cable outlet to the tv? Plus in the bederoom where that switch is red when I turn it on, there looks like to hookups there as well, is one for antenna other cable?

TrailCreek

In the bedroom as in the living toom, cable and antenna are the same connection. The other bedroom connection is for the front satellite run from the wet bay. There is another connection in the livingroom from the satellite connection in the wet bay.

I added a coax port outside of the livingroom slide for cable or dish satellite. A blowout messed up the antenna/cable run from the wet bat to the livingroom. It was the easiest fix.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

jimcat

Got tv in main room and bedroom working.. have not check outdoors as it is still raining.. this area I am in now is under flood watches lol

Dahillbilly

I have several connectors in the main tv area.. on the 2015 newport.. which is the cable outlet to the tv? Plus in the bederoom where that switch is red when I turn it on, there looks like to hookups there as well, is one for antenna other cable?
The switch in the BR is for over the air antenna signal. If it's on the cable/satellite won't work.

jimcat

It appears when I push the button on that switch a red light comes on.. When that is lit.. cable seems to be fine in both places.. when I pushed the button and red light is off.. I show no cable tv at all in main bedroom.. so, it will be lit lol

wdk450

UHF TV is broadcast in the frequencies of 470 - 608 Megahertz (million AC cycles per second). Direct to home TV Satellite signals are broadcast in the frequencies of 8 - 18 Gigahertz (BILLION AC cycles per second. BIG DIFFERENCE. The wallplate amplifier is meant to amplify broadcast over the air (OTA) UHF signals that your rooftop antenna picks up. The electronics in the amplifier PC board in the wallplate do not have the capability of passing (or amplifying) the much higher satellite Gigahertz signals. What the wallplate has is a relay that transfers the incoming satellite signal directly to the output connector when the amplifier is not on (light not lit - satellite signal mode). When the light is lit the wallplate input relay allows the UHF broadcast TV signal from the rooftop antenna to go into the electronics board to amplify the UHF Megahertz broadcast signal from the TV station, and output it on the output connector (UHF OTA signal mode). So the wallplate has 2 inputs (Satellite and UHF ) and 1 common output to the TV system.

In the coax wiring there can be regular splitters that simply go from 1 input to 2 outputs (or the reverse).

splitter.jpg

Diplexers are splitters with frequency filtering components inside that can either split 1 coax input signal to 1 UHF TV output connector, or a the GHZ Satellite TV output coax connector. And the reverse is true on these, too. You can send a GHZ satellite signal on the same 1 coax along with a MHZ UHF TV signal, and using another diplexer at the other end to split back out the GHZ satellite signal and the UHF MHZ signal to separate coaxes.

diplexer.jpg

Last edited:

jimcat

Interesting, but it seems the opposite in our Newport.. if the light is out.. and I do a scan for OTA antenna channels, I get them, if light is on.. I do not.. If light is not on.. I do not see any cable tv.. when I turn the light on.. I do.. I do habe the first type of splitter, input with the 2 outs.. perhaps one for the tv outdoors..

TrailCreek

My Newport has antenna boost when on and degraded cable. Poor antenna and better cable when off. I do know, having worked in factories myself, that wiring is one of the least standardized components. Looms are made on a big board and plopped down at the RV. It's up to the electrician (factory trained, not licensed]) to run wires and cables where they go. They usually follow a set routing plan but no guarantees. Thats why you see excess wire lengths. Each model has options, like the Newport can have a half bath or office, so flexibility is preferred over economy. There is always a chance that your coax was incorrectly attached to the splitters and antenna feed was swapped somewhere. I would take the rear basement bulkhead down and trace the coax from the cable inlet as far as you can. Somewhere in that area the living room, basement, and bedroom connections are probably made. If anyone screwed up, thats where it could be. Mine is near the water heater. Maybe first check behind the plate where the amplifier is in the bedroom. Antenna is first sent there then amplified before injecting it into the main run. The box may be too small to make those connections, or maybe there isnt a box at all and the connection is in the roof (not likely) Where that happens can be just a process of chasing wires. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk