Trailer Hitch on my Big Horn 3185RL

Mark413d

I have a question regarding towing a small boat, weighing about 800lbs including trailer, with my big horn. The tongue weight would be around 120lbs. I do have C Channel style brackets that looks welded to the back of my frame but that wouldn't be strong enough to tow a boat. I'm looking at a 14 to 16' Highfield inflatable wit a 40 to 50hp motor. is there a bolt on option for a receiver hitch or would I have to have it welded? Is this even something I should be considering? My Big Horn is a 2011 3185RL I tow with a 2016 Ram 2500 with a 6.7 Cummins Diesel.

Thanks in advance.
Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
As far as towing goes, I have seen plenty campers with a boat or some sort of toy in tow. So it can be done.
The one factor of concern would be total tow length in some states or provinces.
I certainly would not tow anything using the brackets that are now on your rig. I ground mine off and welded a homemade hitch to the frame. I do have a rack on it but I think it would certainly be strong enough for a light boat.
Have a hitch made and weld it to the frame.

Peace
Dave

Mark413d

As far as towing goes, I have seen plenty campers with a boat or some sort of toy in tow. So it can be done.
The one factor of concern would be total tow length in some states or provinces.
I certainly would not tow anything using the brackets that are now on your rig. I ground mine off and welded a homemade hitch to the frame. I do have a rack on it but I think it would certainly be strong enough for a light boat.
Have a hitch made and weld it to the frame.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. Here in Ontario we are good for that combination.
I will have to have the hitch welded by someone as I don't have that skill!
Is the C channel brackets on my Big Horn standard? Are they for a hitch? I can't see them being good for much weight.
Thanks again
Mark