Need some opinions on 2016 Big Country 3560SS

Skychief

Hello,

Newest members to this forum. I was hoping to get some honest opinions from present and past owners of an 2017 Big County 3560ss Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer.
My wife and I have 24 hrs to decide if we want to purchase this one at a given price of $35,500.00. The unit has been hardly used by this private owner which he stated he paid in the $50's for it new. What I was wondering has anybody on this forum have any pro's or con's about this specific model and year? We have camped all of all lives starting from a tent to our present 36' fifth wheel that I feel will be deemed a total lost from another camper hitting our camper while it was on the side of the road. This one seems like a beauty, but I been wrong before. Any help would be appericated.

Thank you,
John

brianlajoie

Re: Need some opinions please

You may already have done this, but I would inspect or have the rig inspected. Compared to what is being asked for this model on rvtrader, the price seems to be lower than others are asking for.

We love our Bighorn and almost bought a Big Country.

Skychief

You may already have done this, but I would inspect or have the rig inspected. Compared to what is being asked for this model on rvtrader, the price seems to be lower than others are asking for.

We love our Bighorn and almost bought a Big Country.

Thank you for your reply, but can you tell me your reason for choosing one over the other? At this time this camper will be park seasonal at a campground since the one we have chosen we fell in love with its area and since I am not near retirement it's just best at this time.
I don't want to seem to come off the wrong way, but our decision has to be made soon. Even though we are leaning toward this 2017 Big Country at $35,500 over a different brand at the same price but is an 2015 the original asking price new was close to $72,000 we were told. Don't know if this is true but this is what the owners said. With those numbers and the old saying "You get what you pay for" I am just questioning this purchase. Everything on this camper is what my wife is looking for where some of these items are not present on the other brand (Prime Time) and from what I am told can not be installed since these campers are made specific to the options they have built into them. The wife will be the one keeping the camper clean so I know how it is when you have to care for something that you wish you were doing the same onto something else. Me myself I am looking for quality over cosmetics. I know what ever reviews you go under no matter what brand it seems like the campers that have problems with their purchase write the reviews while the ones that love theirs don't bother writing reviews since time is so precious in the world today. I am the same way, if I like something I don't take time to write a review, but I sure got time if I don't.
As before any opinions would be appreciate greatly

Skychief

Hello again,

I just read on a site that someone was in the market for an 2017 Big County . The reason that they did not buy it was that the air condition was load. As dumb as this seems we did not test it since the day was not hot and the camper was under trees. This camper is locatated 3 hrs. one way from us, if it was closer I woiuld run down there and check it out. Does anyone know if this was an issue for this model and year?

Thanks

Skychief

Sorry to everyone, but my wife informed me that this is an 2016 model. Don't know if this makes a difference or not in your answers.

Thank you

danemayer

Hello again,

I just read on a site that someone was in the market for an 2017 Big County . The reason that they did not buy it was that the air condition was load. As dumb as this seems we did not test it since the day was not hot and the camper was under trees. This camper is locatated 3 hrs. one way from us, if it was closer I woiuld run down there and check it out. Does anyone know if this was an issue for this model and year?

Thanks
If you meant to say the air conditioner was loud, yes they are loud to most people. But that's true on almost every RV. If quiet A/C is high on your list, you could be looking for a very long time to find a quieter unit.

Big Country is manufactured on the same line as Big Horn and Landmark and all 3 are intended for full-time use as "luxury" RVs. As the price point goes higher, more features are usually added, but the overall quality should reflect their being built on the same line, by the same people.

Is the unit worth the asking price? More than anything, that has to do with how it's been maintained and why it's being sold. Sellers typically paint the best possible picture, so with any second owner purchase, it's up to you to evaluate the condition carefully. Sometimes an RV is being sold because someone is moving up. Sometimes people have personal situations that keep them from using the RV any longer. There can be other reasons.

You're saving a lot of money compared to buying a new unit that comes with warranty. You might want to take some of that savings and hold it aside just in case you find something after the sale that needs repair.

NYSUPstater

We have a'18 3560SS and love it. Tho you stated it will be parked, but if you do decide to tow a fair amount, may wish to consider a DRW truck. Overall tho, we had 1 significant issue right after we bought it and that was the main sidewall for bed/hallway slide needed to be reinforced (more screws added) due to the molding coming off w/ slide it. HL took care of things. Also added a wet bolt kit. No W/D, but have slide toppers and 2nd awning. Wife loves the large island and we love the room in LR and esp the BR w/ 2nd slide out. A/C in BR can be a tad loud, but doesn't bother us when sleeping. Rear A/C is quiet.

I would not make any decision on this coach, until you have done a physical inspection.
Do not take someone else’s word for anything.
I had a friend that did that, and when he picked up his used coach he found many things wrong, including all the tanks were full, which the previous owner said were empty.
If you have a friend that knows something about trailers, take them along also, 3 or 4 sets of eyes are better than 1 or 2.
The 3560SS I believe is the bedroom slide in a slide.
The Bighorn is a step up from the Big Country.
I went from a Big Country to my present Bighorn.
I was looking at that model and went with the 3670EL Bighorn instead, much larger kitchen counter area and also, we can get into the bathroom while on the road with the slides closed, you can not with the 3560SS.
We sometimes use the onboard facilities in rest areas, and now with Covid 19 we use them even more.
Good luck on your decision.

Hockster

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have been living in a 2016 Big Country since it was new. Not your model, but here are a few issues we have had: the rear AC capacitor went out at about 14 mo old, had it replaced, no problems since. But I have always felt like the AC system doesn’t cool as well as it should, for temps over 90 degrees. If you’re in a climate where 90+ happens a lot like Texas or Arizona, you may have to add some things to help with the cooling.

We had our TV go out the first week we had it. Heartland sent a new TV and no issues since.

The carpet is stretched and doesn’t lay flat in some areas due to wear/tear.

The reclining loveseat leather is peeling and the cushions have begun to break down. But this is typical of all rv furniture.

Our fireplace went out during the first year. Heartland sent us a new one, but the heating element looked defective before installation. Eventually got a second replacement that has worked fine ever since, but we do not leave it unattended.

Our furnace was making a funny hot metallic smell, and was replaced under warranty.

We upgraded our faucets and shower head to residential style, for better function and durability.

A major thing to look for on a used coach is the caulking around openings such as doors, windows, vents, speakers, compartments, etc., as well as any vertical seams, and everything on the roof. If you see spider cracks, chalky looking, or separation, that means it wasn’t maintained and there could be hidden damage you can’t see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

If you find an RV without any problems please let me know. I don't care if you spend $500K or $10K your going to have problems. Just hope you're handy enough to fix the majority of problems that can arise. Look the rig over good, make sure everything works and then decide if you want it. Good luck and safe travels!

JimL1949

We have a 2019 Big Country 356SS. Bought it late last year and spent a couple of winter months in it at Ocean Lakes campground in South Carolina plus numerous trips this summer. As mentioned before, even a new rig has some issues and you just take care of them one at a time. We love ours - especially the space in the bedroom as we have 3 dogs that travel with us. The air conditioners in this one are surprisingly quiet compared to some of the campers we have had over the many years.
our build sheet list price was in the $1**,000 range and we were able to purchase this one for around $**,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

brianlajoie

Thank you for your reply, but can you tell me your reason for choosing one over the other? At this time this camper will be park seasonal at a campground since the one we have chosen we fell in love with its area and since I am not near retirement it's just best at this time.
I don't want to seem to come off the wrong way, but our decision has to be made soon. Even though we are leaning toward this 2017 Big Country at $35,500 over a different brand at the same price but is an 2015 the original asking price new was close to $72,000 we were told. Don't know if this is true but this is what the owners said. With those numbers and the old saying "You get what you pay for" I am just questioning this purchase. Everything on this camper is what my wife is looking for where some of these items are not present on the other brand (Prime Time) and from what I am told can not be installed since these campers are made specific to the options they have built into them. The wife will be the one keeping the camper clean so I know how it is when you have to care for something that you wish you were doing the same onto something else. Me myself I am looking for quality over cosmetics. I know what ever reviews you go under no matter what brand it seems like the campers that have problems with their purchase write the reviews while the ones that love theirs don't bother writing reviews since time is so precious in the world today. I am the same way, if I like something I don't take time to write a review, but I sure got time if I don't.
As before any opinions would be appreciate greatly

For us it came down to interior colors and the level up system (which was optional that year). The model for that year was basically the same between the two brands. The Landmark, the Bighorn and the Big country are all built in one shop with the same people and similar if not the same components in most cases. There are differences between each trailer, but to me the build quality is the same. The asking price or MSRP on a new trailer is about 30% more than the dealer invoice. That number is subject to negotiation at the time of purchase.

If you like the trailer and it meets your needs, that is a good thing.

bigdob24

Hello,

Newest members to this forum. I was hoping to get some honest opinions from present and past owners of an 2017 Big County 3560ss Fifth Wheel Travel Trailer.
My wife and I have 24 hrs to decide if we want to purchase this one at a given price of $35,500.00. The unit has been hardly used by this private owner which he stated he paid in the $50's for it new. What I was wondering has anybody on this forum have any pro's or con's about this specific model and year? We have camped all of all lives starting from a tent to our present 36' fifth wheel that I feel will be deemed a total lost from another camper hitting our camper while it was on the side of the road. This one seems like a beauty, but I been wrong before. Any help would be appericated.

Thank you,
John

John
If you haven’t bought this yet let me know , we need to talk
dstm3030@gmail.com
BD