Bedroom Ceiling light box coming loose from ceiling

westro

2018 Newport...Has anyone had one of these ceiling light boxes apart? The same type of box is also used over the table in living and kitchen areas.
There are screws driven into the ceiling from inside the box, but I don't see a way to get to them so it must have been assembled after mounting the sides to the ceiling.

Best way I can describe it, is that it is a three light box with the 3 sections having a decorative X over a curved opague lexan panel with the LED puck at the middle of each section.
Sides of the box are about 4" deep with thin panels on all sides with a wood framing around the bottom side.

Thanks for any insight,
Bob

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was an earlier thread from an owner whose dining area light box was coming apart and how he repaired it. Maybe he’ll see yours or you can search for it.

westro

Ok, So I have it back up and attached again... Here are a few notes regarding this box...
The long sides of the box have a thin trim piece of stained 1/8" plywood, this can be removed to reveal the inner box frame. The trim piece hides several pocket hole screws attaching the box to the ceiling.
There were five screws on either long side, none on the short sides which are the actual framing of the box. In my case, all of the screws had pulled out of the long side closest to the outside wall (of course).
This left the box hanging from the long side screws toward the center of the coach, Call it the front for sake of discussion. This box is heavy, I don't see how they expect it not to tear loose from the ceiling when none of the screws are into anything but basic ceiling wallboard. The back side was down about 3-4 inches from the ceiling, so I could see the holes in the ceiling the screws came from.

After checking it out by inserting a straight pick tool into the holes, I verified there were no studs or frame under (actually over) the screw holes. There only appears to be one stud or frame at the ceiling board seam crossing over the box near the middle... Of course no screw into that to help hold the weight... BTW, this thing was down pretty close to the slide, clearing it only by a half inch or so, at least we dodged that bullet.. So to get the box attached again I inserted screw anchors in the back side screw holes, made myself a brace to hold the box up tight to the ceiling and re-installed the screws. They did tighten up as expected so at least they are holding for now. I tightened all the front side screws, which were only slightly loose.

This got me out of the woods for now, I will add another screw into that seam area both front and back to further strengthen the whole thing.
There's no way to use another pocket screw on the back side, may have to do that with an angle bracket.

Regards,
Bob

Attachments

• 20200827_155839.jpg
    20200827_155839.jpg
    936.1 KB · Views: 18

CDN

B and B
Thank for the Information. I had my light box loosen up above the counter. I drove 4 screws right into structure on an angle from the long edge. Been fine ever since. I agree sometimes things that are done don't make sense.