Proper Operation of Electric Cord Reel????

rjr6150

After troubleshooting discovered my motor is shot. Replacement is to be here today. I’ve had my unit since 2012 and either missed or glossed over correct operation of the reel.

All I’ve ever done when hooking up to electric was pull cord out to desired length and when ready to leave push button to bring it back in. From what I can determine my switch doesn’t have the option of release.

This is from the HOG for the RL5 Motor.

This unit is designed with a clutch type drive to allow direct engagement during retract and clutch disengagement to allow for free spooling during release. These features are controlled using the rocker switch assembly MH2021/RV2100 or equivalent previously installed. To correctly operate the unit, follow the steps listed below. If the unit does not perform according to the instructions below first recheck wiring for any issues.
MOTOR OPERATION
1. Ensure power is being supplied by the 12 VDC source.
2. Locate the switch installed. If using TRC switch assembly MH2021/RV2100 identify the label markings “RETRACT”
located at the top switch position and “RELEASE” located at the bottom switch position.
3. To retract the hose back onto the reel simply press and hold the switch in the top “RETRACT” position until the desired
amount of hose is returned to the reel.
4. To release the hose from the reel, press the switch MOMENTARILY in the bottom “RELEASE” position. This unlocks
the spool and allows for the hose to be manually pulled to a desired length. DO NOT attempt to pull hose from the reel without first pressing the switch momentarily in the bottom “RELEASE” position. Only a MOMENTARY press of the switch in the “RELEASE” position will be needed. DO NOT attempt to continuously hold the “RELEASE” switch position, doing so will cause the cord to unravel on the spool.

Thoughts?

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
That is for newer models for sure. Our 2015 was like yours and Jerrod's, however our 2018, you can't pull it out until you hit release. It's like a clutch release and it flows without having to turn the motor. The newer motor is much slower at retracting than the older ones and does not appear to be nearly as strong of a motor.

Rod

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our ‘17 BH has the 2-way switch. Believe me you can extract the cord without releasing via the switch. DON’T DO THAT! It will throw the chain and requires accessing the reel to replace the chain. The current reel is ok once you learn its intricacies but I’d rather have the previous generation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

On our 2011 LM, the switch energized the motor to retract the cord. There was no release function. I just pulled the cord out.

However, in 2016, the reel was replaced with the newer type where the switch has a retract and release. Before pulling the cord, I have to push the switch in the retract direction to release the reel.

rjr6150

Thanks for the information. Wonder if the new motor I’m getting will also need a different switch. Guess we’ll see after UPS delivers today.