2 inch receiver on 37SS

NewHopians

I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and want to put a 2 inch trailer hitch on it to carry two kayaks. I am thinking about the Curt 13703. It bolts in as I don’t want a welded in place because of vibration. It is rated at 350 lbs. Has anyone put this type on their rig or have any other suggestions. Kayaks weight 57 pounds each. Going to use the Verikayak carrier that holds two kayaks.

sengli

Thats a lot of weight to have hanging on the back of a fiver, on a receiver thats just bolted on. Not all fivers have the road bounce like ours did apparently. Ours going down the road developed a bouncing affect. That was amplified in the rear of the coach specifically to the point , where ours with a bolted (flimsy) on receiver snapped bike racks like rag dolls. So consider not just the static weight of the load, but perhaps the road shock xferred into your rack for your kayaks.

danemayer

I've seen where people carry kayaks on the back of their RV. But length of the kayak could be a problem.

NewHopians

I've seen where people carry kayaks on the back of their RV. But length of the kayak could be a problem.
We have 10 footers and the rack is adjustable to keep them from hitting the ground. But, I’m sure the bounce would be terrible. Thinking of a receiver mounted underneath the rig not bolted to the square bumper. thanks for your thoughts!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a lot of weight to have hanging on the back of a fiver, on a receiver thats just bolted on. Not all fivers have the road bounce like ours did apparently. Ours going down the road developed a bouncing affect. That was amplified in the rear of the coach specifically to the point , where ours with a bolted (flimsy) on receiver snapped bike racks like rag dolls. So consider not just the static weight of the load, but perhaps the road shock xferred into your rack for your kayaks.

Was yours bolted to the square bumper or up under the frame of the rig?

rclogg

So this is a question near to us, we looked at that same hitch and stayed away. We had a 2" tubing hitch custom built and welded onto our '16 Bighorn, loaded the "Kayak Rack" with 2 12 foot kayaks and two bikes, the amount of twist was bad enough I was worried not only breaking off but hitting the back window. Were not so much worried about bounce as we have a Moryde suspension that keeps that down to a min but, I'm leaving in an hour to go back to the welder and have it stiffened and braced. We do carry '12 kayaks and the nose is 17" of the ground, which puts us at '13 "5 which is one inch under the limit. I will be documenting the install, both for us and the welder. Unfortunately, Kayak season is over up here but we still carry 2 bikes no problem on a bike rack.

Flick

I have a 2017 Bighorn Traveler 37SS and want to put a 2 inch trailer hitch on it to carry two kayaks. I am thinking about the Curt 13703. It bolts in as I don’t want a welded in place because of vibration. It is rated at 350 lbs. Has anyone put this type on their rig or have any other suggestions. Kayaks weight 57 pounds each. Going to use the Verikayak carrier that holds two kayaks.

I’m always for overkill but for my thinking, I would consider a pair of 2” receivers spaced several feet apart instead of the normal one. This would reduce a lot of the side to side twisting and offer a more secure setup.

- - - Updated - - -